Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Balance Not Tit For Tat

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
In recent weeks the understandable frustration of the last few seasons has broken out into a tit for tat cyber war, on here and on other fora. This appears to have got many of us down, whether we are on the positive or negative side of the curve.

None of us (me included) have much if any inside knowledge of or infuence over the clubs fortunes to date or in the future. All we have is our feelings and our opinions.

Please can we try to express them in a way that is respectful to one another and helps to further the debate.

After a bad defeat I think twice about even coming on here. I am a fan and I am hurting, just like everybody else. I hate what has happened in the last few years. On the other hand I know that what has happened is made up of all manner or different factors, it's not just down to one man, a group of directors, some indifferent players, or one tactical formation above another.

I also know that there is no magic solution to returning to our former status.

It is going to require everybody associated with the club, directors, staff, team management, players and fans to pull together in one positive direction. Yes we have views about the best direction, yes we have a right to say to point out that a particular group of stakeholders within the club are not pulling their weight or need to consider a different option but it needs to be balanced and constructive.

The negativity over the last few weeks has been replaced by triumphalist rhetoric by others in the last 12 ours or so. Let us not descend further into tit for tat points scoring.

What did the poet say

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream-and not make dreams your master;
If you can think-and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings-nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And-which is more-you'll be a Man, my son!

Lets try to remember the wisdom of his words

Comments

• Options
    Well said Bing, I've really tried avoiding coming on here of late. I'm all for reasoned debate and argument but it's all been getting a bit out of hand.

Last week wasn't the end of Charlton, likewise this morning isn't suddenly the beginning of our march back into the Prem. It's going to take a long time to fix Charlton, but for the most part I feel this season has been more on the positive side.

I thought the atmosphere was great yesterday and before we scored our third I felt the fans really gave the team the push to go on in the way they did.
  • Options
    Good post, Bing.

However, I tend to post what I want to say, having read others' comments,then leave it. As has been said so many times, it's all about opinions but those opinions can be stated and stuck to without entering into arguements / rubbishing the opinions of others. Respect, lads & lasses and acknowledge positivity rather than deplore it.

You know it makes sense.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's fine FF. I'm not suggesting that we can't summarise our views in a few words. It's the petty point scoring stuff that I don't like usually attached to peoples pet hate or no 1 love.
  • Options
    it's the patronising posts that do my head in.
  • Options
    Well said, Bing. And funnily enough, I quoted Kipling in another thread last night in which some posters were taunting the 'doom and gloom merchants'.

Balance is the key, as you say. Otherwise - as I also pointed out last night - we reduce ourselves to the yah-boo level of an SE7 version of Prime Minister's Question Time, in which neither side actually bothers to listen to the other but just looks to score points.

Sometimes on here you can't help thinking of Edward Lear rather than Rudyard Kipling!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Well said, Bing. And funnily enough, I quoted Kipling in another thread last night in which some posters were taunting the 'doom and gloom merchants'.

Balance is the key, as you say. Otherwise - as I also pointed out last night - we reduce ourselves to the yah-boo level of an SE7 version of Prime Minister's Question Time, in which neither side actually bothers to listen to the other but just looks to score points.

Sometimes on here you can't help thinking of Edward Lear rather than Rudyard Kipling!

Taunting????
  • Options
    Taunting? Well I believe the exact quote was that the moaners should ''crawl back into the woodwork''.

But you have explained elsewhere that you meant a specific group of half a dozen people, and not the wider constituency of posters who expressed alarm over our loss of form and fight in recent weeks.
  • Options
    well said bing.

Little balance in recent weeks and as AFKA pointed some posters choosing to only post, and then in the most rabid way, when we lose.

We have a whole season of ups and downs and we are only a third into it. Rather than rush to judgement over players, managers or tactics lets take our time to look at both positives and negatives.