Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Budapest

All,

Got a lads trip to Budapest in mid Oct and so would appreciate any tips on bars, clubs and - most importantly - where to stay, from anyone who has been there.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Had a great time there last summer, but unfortunately took family so I don't think I can really help.
  • Options
    Off to Budapest next week - any tips anyone?
    Have found another thread about Hungary but that went off on a tangent so thought I'd resurrect this one instead!
    restaurants? bars?

Have been told to go to the secret/hidden hospital? a trip down the Danube at night - but generally know nothing else about the place! tour book is arriving tomorrow.

• Options
    Went in April last year. Stayed at the Kempinski Hotel Corvinus which was excellent. If you happen to be a dolphin and like raw fish, there's also a NOBU restaurant in the hotel.
    The Spoon is a restaurant/bar on a moored boat which was recommended to me and was pretty good. Here's the website: spooncafe.hu
    Like Prague, the Castle area is a big tourist draw. But there's lots of other stuff too.
  • Options
    Lancelots

Great night out
  • Options
    Going for the first time for a stag do in August.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the caves up by the castle, and the nearby National Gallery impressed me despite not being into art. There's also a nice bar somewhere up there overlooking the city.

The main things are the spas, though I didn't make it to any. I'd recommend trying gypsy goulash, better than it sounds.
  • Options
    The spa's are amazing, and the big fat Hungarians playing chess in the water make anyone feel like the body beautiful!
  • Options
    Great city and some nice surrounding countryside....the childrens railway was well worth a visit, though a group of lads on a stag do are unlikely to be interested in this.
  • Options
    Must do is a trip to the museum of terror on Andrassy Ave.
  • Options
    Went last September. Recommend the spa with yellow building and chess boards. and szimplakert bar. To be fair there are lots of good kert bars in the Jewish quarter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brill - thanks guys. I remember someone else mentioning that terror museum to me as well.
  • Options
    Oh and do a riverboat trip.
  • Options
    Just don't get too drunk and let off a fire extinguisher in a hotel, like my mate did. Ten months in prison, he was gonna get...until the judge was in a good mood and gave him a three year suspended sentence...
  • Options
    Got to go to Szimpla ruin bar. It's a bombed out building made into a great bar/club. Cheap as chips too
  • Options
    If you go to the main 'Turkish' baths make sure you don't go there on Friday morning, that's when the local gay community frequent them.

I had a very narrow escape there from a randy Hungarian bloke in 1997.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

If you go to the main 'Turkish' baths make sure you don't go there on Friday morning, that's when the local gay community frequent them.

I had a very narrow escape there from a randy Hungarian bloke in 1997.

really, was it very touch and go for you?

• Options
    A mate of mine went not long ago.

Kept on about the local birds and brasses.
  • Options
    Some of these anecdotes hopefully wont apply to me & mr sausage!

Thanks for your tips. It's Restaurant week, so I expect I'll be paying a fee to the airline to return due to being considerably heavier.

A La Carte restaurants 3 course meals for 3300 huf which is about a tenner! Yummy!
  • Options
    The statue park is worth a visit - old Soviet era statues, very heroic workers and soldiers depicted.
  • Options
    If you want a good restaurant tip then try this one. Truly amazing.

www.karpatia.hu
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

The statue park is worth a visit - old Soviet era statues, very heroic workers and soldiers depicted.

2nd this, a little way out of the centre but well worth the trip. My wife wanted to go to the opera when we were there. Didn't think it would be my cup of tea but loved it, reasonably priced too. Plenty of decent places to eat. The Spa at The Gellert Hotel was good too.