Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Passwords for everything !!

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
i guess like nearly everone on here you need passwords to do most things so you prob all have like three differant passwords that you use and guess like me some get them mixed up..........now of course one is Charlton...so ringing up orange today could i remember which one i had used..........so asked nice girl give us a clue...................................*oooo thier famous football brothers.*...............now why didnt she she say * Gem of a club surround by sh*te teams * or ..............? prob didnt even now who we are !!

Comments

• Options
    So one password is Charlton, another is Neville what's the third?
  • Options
    getting silly now though where you can barely have a piss without needing a password. How you are meant to remember them all I don't know especially, as with the other day, it had to be eight characters, include one letter in Upper Case, include one number, include a symbol (£,$,& etc), no two consecutive letters and not actually spell a word. Had to write it down and keep in my drawer at work. Sort of defeats the object.
  • Options
    my office password for my laptop has to be changed every month (2 of them), be between 12-16 characters long, not be my name and not resemble what the previous one was....so bang goes just changing the number on the end, 01, 02 etc each time.

mine are always written on a post it note in my top drawer....as you say Large, kind of defeats the object !
  • Options
    For ones that require updating each month and are not systems that make payments etc I just use
    Janjan09
    Febfeb09
    Marmar09 etc etc
  • Options
    good idea will try that with work comp thats after ive had the palm print done , eye scan and had blood sample done cant believe it like i only work at the dept that fires nuclear misssles ... and you wanna try turning those two keys at one time u neeed arms like a gorilla .................
  • Options
    Simple solution:

1. Pick a word you will remember, like, say "Charlton"
    2. Obfuscate it, by replacing some letters with numbers: "Ch8rlt0n"
    3. Split it in half: "Ch8r" and "lt0n"
    4. Add the name of the site or service in the middle: "Ch8rCharltonLifelt0n", "Ch8rOcadolt0n", "Ch8rAbbeyNationallt0n",

That way, every password is different but easy to remember.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Simple solution:

4. Add the name of the site or service in the middle: "Ch8rCharltonLifelt0n", "Ch8rOcadolt0n", "Ch8rAbbeyNationallt0n",

I need to go sit in a dark room after reading that.

Whilst I'm gone, someone will probably steal my identity.
  • Options
    struggling with obfuscate......laying down now
  • Options
    Guys, your home passwords are at your own risk, but leaving work passwords on a post it note in your drawer may be a disciplinary offence in many companies unless you can demonstrate that you keep it locked at all times.

One hint that I find useful is to use songs as a basis of your passwords. (Make sure that you use ones that you know the words to though.)
    Pick a line from a song that you like, and if the line has numbers in it, or words that sound like numbers, replace those with the actual numbers. So, "show me the way to go home" becomes "show me the way 2 go home". Then just use the first letter of each word, so you get smtw2gh. If it needs to be at least 8 characters, you can stick a full stop or exclamation mark on the end, and pick an appropriate place to put a capital letter. So your final password is Smtw2gh!
    Then when that one expires you can use It&Iw2g2b and so on.

If someone knows you well, they may find it easier than normal to guess, because they know what your favourite songs are, but it's less likely to be cracked by a random hacker.
  • Options
    Another one for passwords that can't spell a word - take the first letter of the words in a book title or song lyric

ie vfrtmriftt
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure you'll be ok dartford gent, but it's not really the place to discuss passwords so openly. Unless I'm missing the point it might be an idea to change up your passwords. For me I remember historical dates and place a historical figure not of that period into it. Just something that intrigues me, and my timmy tangent mind seems to like it.
  • Options
    SiSi
    edited November 2009
    I've always wondered how many of us on here have exactly the same password for this site. I reckon quite a few! And how many of us share same or similar variations of the same password for lots of other important passwords in our lives, considering the importance of CAFC in our lives. I reckons given a few attempts, most of us could get into each others emails, banks, etc!
  • Options
    The risk of using the word "Charlton" as your password: here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]The risk of using the word "Charlton" as your password:here

My password is "Millwall", because nobody would guess that.

I'm thinking of changing it now to "I_love_Simon_ Francis", because I'm damned sure nobody else on here would have that as their password.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Guys, your home passwords are at your own risk, but leaving work passwords on a post it note in your drawer may be a disciplinary offence in many companies unless you can demonstrate that you keep it locked at all times.
    I keep the drawer with my passwords in locked at all times.

So I don't lose it, I keep the key in my desk tidy.
  • Options
    Passwords: one of the curses of the modern age.....

I am a freeman not a password.......
    Orwell 1984 is a good one ( no it is not mine)
  • Options
    Using a laptop/netbook with a fingerprint reader makes everything far easier. Just program your passwords in once. Then all you need to do is swipe your finger to log into Banking, Charlton Player etc etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Using a laptop/netbook with a fingerprint reader makes everything far easier. Just program your passwords in once. Then all you need to do is swipe your finger to log into Banking, Charlton Player etc etc.
    ..but avoid ever doing anything involving knives, axes, sharp objects...
  • Options
    I have a system, which obviously I can't tell you, but if it was breached I'd have to change all my passwords - if you see one you'd have a fair crack at guessing them all.

Some things that you need passwords for you have to wonder why.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Using a laptop/netbook with a fingerprint reader makes everything far easier. Just program your passwords in once. Then all you need to do is swipe your finger to log into Banking, Charlton Player etc etc.
    ..but avoid ever doing anything involving knives, axes, sharp objects...

like watching charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Simple solution:

Simples......
  • Options
    I have my passwords tatooed to my forehead. They are tatooed as a mirror image so that I can read them with a vanity mirror. I'm not stupid!
  • Options
    oooo thier famous football brothers

Sodje?
  • Options
    Kaspersky Password manager - wouldn't be without it now. Keeps the info in encrypted form but fills in things automatically for you as and when needed. I only need to remember one password now to get into Kaspersky PM.
  • Options
    Have 17 passwords, all on my memory stick which is on my key-ring.....simples!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Have 17 passwords, all on my memory stick which is on my key-ring.....simples!
    Until you lose your keys
  • Options
    Lost keys v lost pieces of paper?
  • Options
    Just thought about it and on a daily basis (or at least every other day) i need passwords for the following:

Work computer
    SAP login password
    Work job book database
    Work publication database
    Work FTP site
    Charlton Life
    Facebook
    iTunes store
    Betfair
    William Hill
    Online bank account

That's without sites like online credit card banking, Amazon, play.com etc
  • Options
    Why do I need a password to read my "online copy" of the News Shopper, ffs?