Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIVE MOST OVERRATED

I hope nobody minds a relative newbie like me having the audacity to start a post in the popular "five of" tradition; but at the risk of upsetting lots of you here are my choices of the five most overrated artists of all time:-

1. PRINCE - (posturing munchkin in lightweight pop scenario)
2. BRUCE SPRINGSTEIN - (if he looked like Charles Hawtrey would anyone buy his records?)
3. VAN MORRISON - (irish curmudgeon bleats on in jazzy rock vein)
4. STEELY DAN ( why? what have they got? steely bland!)
5. THE EAGLES (honorary exception for the excellent hotel california - but the americans made them bigger than the beatles!!!!!!!where is their originality, influence and subtance? I mean, be honest. really!!)

Comments

• Steeley Dan....you mean to say you've missed out on them you poor sod....where did you have your lobotomy done....I'd ask for my money back if I were you.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Steeley Dan....you mean to say you've missed out on them you poor sod....where did you have your lobotomy done....I'd ask for my money back if I were you.

Yeh, my closest mate love them too, SoundAs.
    Bit weak and pointless for my taste.

Oh, btw, don't bring my lobotomy into this ;-)
  • Michael jackson
    Maria Carey
    Justin Timberlake
    Celin Dion
    Any of the gazillion birds who warble like Maria Carey and Celine Dion
  • Just that Mariah Carey 'warbles' as you put it..... with a truly incredible voice.
  • [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Steeley Dan....you mean to say you've missed out on them you poor sod....where did you have your lobotomy done....I'd ask for my money back if I were you.

Yeh, my closest mate love them too, SoundAs.
    Bit weak and pointless for my taste.

Oh, btw, don't bring my lobotomy into this ;-)

LOL...nice one six.
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    Any of the gazillion birds who warble like Maria Carey and Celine Dion

Good one Algarve.
    Can I add Whitney Houston who seems to think shouting makes you a good singer?
  • 1. Red Hot Chili Peppers - changed their musical approach many times, and each time it's been crap. Massively over-hyped.
    2. Kasabian - derivative nonsense.
    3. U2 - I loved this band when they first started, and the first 3/4 albums are great ... but for the last 10 years, you have got to be joking.
    4. Radiohead - ok Creep is superb, but the rest ... totally boring.
    5. Rolling Stones - nothing good since the late 60's.

That should wind a few people up ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    5. Rolling Stones - nothing good since the late 60's.

I can't dis the Stones, stonemuse.
    Let's just pretend they retired after Exiles ;-)
  • Radiohead. That's just blasphemy.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Just that Mariah Carey 'warbles' as you put it..... with a truly incredible voice.

You off on that one again Deafas...

:-D
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Radiohead. That's just blasphemy.

No, it's fact. lol
  • 1. Flintlock ;-) actually nobody rated them but they deserve a mention just for having had the audacity to even exist
    2. Spandau Ballet. Everything I dislike neatly in one group well done lads.
    3. Will Young - what exactly is the point of you?
    4. Spandau Ballet again
    5. Boy George - good luck to him and all that but I personally never liked his music.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Steeley Dan....you mean to say you've missed out on them you poor sod....where did you have your lobotomy done....I'd ask for my money back if I were you.

Well, well SoundAs Steely Dan are my all time favourite band. We can agree on some things then :-)

Saw them live in Liverpool a few years back. In a different league to most of the current manufactured crap!
  • edited October 2009
    Great thread 6!

Bruce Springsteen is totally overrated, never liked a thing he's done, dresses like a dosser too.
    Mariah Carey is just plain offensive on in so many ways and no self respecting society would take such a troll seriously.
    Michael Jackson- never got the appeal, most of his stuff was over produced bubblegum toss.
    Robbie Williams desperately wants credibility and will never get it, seen better lyrics on a fag packet.
    Any of those dreary coffee table/supermarket background music beardy earnest types like James Blunt and the many other feckless tossers he ushered in.
    Primal Scream and The Stone Roses never got them either.
    Agree with 1 and 2 of Stonemuses list too. Radiohead 1 and a half decent albums then came the Sting syndrome.
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Great thread 6!

Bruce Springsteen is totally overrated, never liked a thing he's done, dresses like a dosser too.
    Mariah Carey is just plain offensive on in so many ways and no self respecting society would take such a troll seriously.
    Michael Jackson- never got the appeal, most of his stuff was over produced bubblegum toss.
    Robbie Williams desperately wants credibility and will never get it, seen better lyrics on a fag packet.
    Any of those dreary coffee table/supermarket background music beardy earnest types like James Blunt and the many other feckless tossers he ushered in.
    Primal Scream and The Stone Roses never got them either.
    Agree with 1 and 2 of Stonemuses list too. Radiohead 1 and a half decent albums then came the Sting syndrome.

Great posting ... spoiled only by the fact that you don't like Stone Roses
  • Beatles
    U2
    Muse (except Supermassive BH)
    Vera Lynn
    that Bubble bloke
  • For a moment I forgot all about the most over rated of all time, the one and only Mr Frank Sinatra. Not a bad voice but no better than a dozen or so other crooners. The only difference was that he had the right friends to back him.
  • Ladies and gents - I present the most overrated poop in musical history

Status Quo

samey boring tosh with about 3 chords over the last 40 years
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Beatles

Oi, Stig, no! (Harry Enfield voice)
    Hate them by all means, but the most revolutionary force in popular music, overrated? Never.
  • Michael Buble
    Michael Boulton
    Mike and the Mechanics
    All of the Bee Gees
    U2

all fooking shite
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Ladies and gents - I present the most overrated poop in musical history

Status Quo

samey boring tosh with about 3 chords over the last 40 years

LOL.
    Francis Rossi's dad sold the same old ice cream for about 40 years when I was growing up in Abbey Wood estate!
  • edited October 2009
    Radiohead? Muse? Overrated? Bollocks.

For the very definition of 'overrated' look no further than The Arctic Monkeys - absolute, unadulterated shite. You can also add the ten thousand other bands that sound exactly like them, the Libertines (who are also shit) or The Jam (who weren't)

All these 'singers' like Mariah Carey who people think are super-talented because they can sing in the whistle register are c***s too. Minnie Riperton did it in the seventies, and she had a beautiful voice. The rest of them sound like someone torturing a seal
  • With you on Arctic Monkeys
  • [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Beatles

Oi, Stig, no! (Harry Enfield voice)
    Hate them by all means, but the most revolutionary force in popular music,overrated? Never.

No, I don't hate them at all - I think they're really rather good. Just not as good as they're made out to be.
  • why do people insist on starting music threads on a football site? ; - )

have to distinguish between overated ie queen and were great but went bad ie rod stewart and stevie wonder.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Radiohead? Muse? Overrated? Bollocks.

For the very definition of 'overrated' look no further than The Arctic Monkeys - absolute, unadulterated shite. You can also add the ten thousand other bands that sound exactly like them, the Libertines (who are also shit) or The Jam (who weren't)

All these 'singers' like Mariah Carey who people think are super-talented because they can sing in the whistle register are c***s too. Minnie Riperton did it in the seventies, and she had a beautiful voice. The rest of them sound like someone torturing a seal

With you an the arctic Monkeys. And on those Scarey Carey type singers. There should should be some law that if your idea of singing is to hold every other note and do that rotten vibrato-warble thing, then you shouldn't be let near a mike.
  • 1) Harry Redknapp
    2) Harry Redknapp
    3) Harry Redknapp
    4) Harry Redknapp
    5) Harry Redknapp

You did say Top 5 overrated managers of all time didn't you?
  • 1, Giggs
    2, Giggs
    3, Giggs
    4, Giggs
    5, Giggs

He is shite, scores only shinners, and his eyes are too close together. Overrated pile of Welsh sheepshit!
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]

..........seen better lyrics on a fag packet.

Absolutely PMSL

I've got to remember that line!
  • 1: Boyoncé
    2: Rihanna
    3-10: pick any reality show winners.