Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot out for 6 weeks **2009/10 Season**

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]But Parky was happy to risk losing him.
    As I said, we don't know if there was a good reason for that. We also don't know who was available at the time apart from Ikeme. I agree we'd have ideally got in someone just as back up, but at that point of the season was that even possible?

I'm talking about his attitude before Ikeme came in, we don't know if he was working hard enough in training for example. We know something happened at Hereford and Randolph was eventually sent back.

There are plenty of things to critisize Parky for and I just don't think this is one of them. We don't know enough about what has gone on behind the scenes, and not just this season or just at Charlton.

He did play for Ireland u21s, but I wasn't questioning his ability.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Ikeme a journeyman?

No one knows what has gone on behind the scenes, in training etc. Randolph might have changed his attitude, or worked on areas of his game. It does happen, look at Ambrose failing back at Ipswich but a season later scoring regularly for Palace.

Easy to say Parky nearly made a huge mistake but maybe it was Randolph's fault? We don't know either way.

Anyway we've got a keeper playing well and not conceding very often, something we're all happy with.

Ikeme has had four clubs this season (played for three of them). At the outset Parky said that it was a toss up between whether he would play Ikeme or Randolph so clearly he "supposedly" did not have, at that time, any issues with playing Randolph. I say "supposedly" because it is clear that Wolves would not have let Ikeme go on loan to warm the bench with us.

That is perhaps why Randolph had an attitude. He was meant to be number two to Elliott and had been waiting for his opportunity only for Parky to take that away from him. What Parky should have done is what he has this time round. Get in a keeper like Warner who would be good enough to do a job in an emergency but stick with the loyal Reserve.

This is not hindsight. The Republic of Ireland may not have a massive pool to pick from but Randolph was their U21 keeper so someone there must have thought he was good enough on that stage. But Parky was happy to risk losing him.

Completely agree. He was happy to sign a new contract knowing that he would be second to Rob, and was prepared to scrap for his place. All the guff about attitude comes from the fact that a poor keeper was brought in on loan ahead of him, which I can imagine, at the time would suggest that the manager didn't intend to give him an opportunity. At Hereford he'd gone to a backwater for 1st team football and they brought in competition. I think anyone sensible would have done the same.

I don't know about the much used and rather vague term "attitude" but I want players who aren't in the team to be desperate to get into it. If the right attitude is to accept not being in the team because your face doesn't fit, then you're probably not going to be a winner, because yes men don't make great competitors despite being a pleasure to manage.
  • Options
    Ikeme isn't a poor keeper though. On loan at two Championship sides since he was here.

You say you want players not in the team to be desperate to get into it. My point has been we don't know if he was desperate to get into it. Maybe he was happy sitting on the bench and assumed he automatically took Elliot's place if injured. We don't know, just like we don't know much about the situation with Moutaouakil and can't be certain why Dickson never got a proper run of starts this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Ikeme isn't a poor keeper though. On loan at two Championship sides since he was here.

You say you want players not in the team to be desperate to get into it. My point has been we don't know if he was desperate to get into it. Maybe he was happy sitting on the bench and assumed he automatically took Elliot's place if injured. We don't know, just like we don't know much about the situation with Moutaouakil and can't be certain why Dickson never got a proper run of starts this season.

I think you're missing the point Scoham. The decision to play Ikeme ahead of Randolph was made the second the paperwork was signed. That is what would have upset Randolph. He's waited for his chance and wasn't going to get it. He is good enough at this level (and possibly higher) but Parky was happy to risk losing him for someone who was never ever going to have any allegiance to the Club.
  • Options
    Why did Parky make that decision though? Maybe Randolph wasn't doing enough in the first few months of the season in training and any reserve games he might have played.

My point was it might have been down to Randolph well before we signed Ikeme. Nothing to do with ability, but something else. Had he been pushing himself enough in the first few months of the season, did he really show he wanted to seriously challenge Elliot for a place.

Maybe he did but you can't assume Parky made a huge error and it's all down to his supposed poor man management.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Why did Parky make that decision though? Maybe Randolph wasn't doing enough in the first few months of the season in training and any reserve games he might have played.

My point was it might have been down to Randolph well before we signed Ikeme. Nothing to do with ability, but something else. Had he been pushing himself enough in the first few months of the season, did he really show he wanted to seriously challenge Elliot for a place.

Maybe he did but you can't assume Parky made a huge error and it's all down to his supposed poor man management.

Again Scoham you are missing the point. Parky said on the day before Ikeme's first match that no decision had been made and that it was very close as to which one would be picked. It never was so. Wolves would have insisted that Ikeme played and the lad would never have come to us in the first place had he not been guaranteed a place in the team.

Parky's hypocrisy is the issue. And the fact that we almost lost a decent keeper (who as I say has yet to let in more than a goal in any game) because of it.
  • Options
    imo the bigger crime was not giving randy a chance when elliot was clearly not in the best of form ....
  • Options
    I get that. What I was saying is maybe Parky wouldn't have gone for Ikeme and given Randolph his chance if he had deserved it. Instead he went for Ikeme to try and get a better keeper in. Randolph didn't always play well at Hereford from what I can remember reading at the time, maybe Parky wasn't convinced he'd be this reliable back in November. Plenty of fans had doubts about Randolph as well remember based on what they had seen.

Promising Ikeme games wasn't right that's fair enough, it's just what happened in the months before that we don't know about. Randolph might have not helped himself leading to the reasons for getting Ikeme in and not someone to sit on the bench.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]imo the bigger crime was not giving randy a chance when elliot was clearly not in the best of form ....
    I agree and i would have had randolph in goal from the day we were reletgated from the premiership - he played well against liverpool and we only lost by two goals because of a penalty which is always difficult
  • Options
    Didn't we draw that last game in the Prem at Liverpool?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Randoplh probably was not ready in 2007 hence the signing of an experiences keeper in Weaver, he has however shown that he would have been an able deputy when Ikeme came in. Been very impressed and is certainly worth trying to keep next season. If there is one criticism then it would be he needs to be quicker with distribution but that is being picky.

Elliot has a job trying to get back in!
  • Options
    I'll ask the question once again - anyone for Ikeme?

Just hope that Randy's on a long term contract otherwise, when Liverpool come knocking, we might get done - again!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]I'll ask the question once again - anyone for Ikeme?

Just hope that Randy's on a long term contract otherwise, when Liverpool come knocking, we might get done - again![/quote]

Hate to dissapoint you but Randy signed a one year contract and that was almost a year ago!!
  • Options
    Randolph's done very well and I hope he stays, but no need to over react suggesting big clubs will be after him. There are other goalkeepers out there that would have done just as well. If he can play consistently well for a full season that will prove just how good he is. At the moment he's just on a very good run of form. Don't take that the wrong way I think he can do it, but we should have a good chance of keeping him here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]I'll ask the question once again - anyone for Ikeme?

Just hope that Randy's on a long term contract otherwise, when Liverpool come knocking, we might get done - again!

Hate to dissapoint you but Randy signed a one year contract and that was almost a year ago!!

Oh dear so he can go on a "free". Oh well, it's only what Parky would have allowed to happen in January so at least he stayed long enough to prove his worth and who knows might help us win the play offs.
  • Options
    Maybe Randolph has in the last few months simply grown up?

Parky said before Xmas, that the club would be prepared to release Randolph in January if he had an offer.
    I think we can assume there was no offer.

Randolph will realise that with the icy financial winds blowing in football, there's going to be a lot of decent keepers without clubs in the summer .....and if he doesn't get a contract, either here or elsewhere, then he's out of work.

That can focus anyone's mind. Now Randolph has the shirt, maybe he's proving to everyone where his focus lies?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's always nice to have been proven correct in the first place.

Eh, Other AA?
    :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]imo the bigger crime was not giving randy a chance when elliot was clearly not in the best of form ....
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]It's always nice to have been proven correct in the first place.

Eh, Other AA?
    :-)

Indeed. Though, to be fair, Parky and his supporters would probably argue that it was as a result of his man management that Randy has proved him right to leave him out in the first place.

To which we would probably say "b....cks, if he'd been in goal in the first place we might have been up already" : - (
  • Options
    Not going to start a new thread as it is unconfirmed but have recently heard that Rob Elliot has broke his elbow!

Really hope this is not true but if it is will we get a loan in? a lot of people are unconvinced by Worner and I doubt he is ready for regular first team football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Not going to start a new thread as it is unconfirmed but have recently heard that Rob Elliot has broke his elbow!

Really hope this is not true but if it is will we get a loan in? a lot of people are unconvinced by Worner and I doubt he is ready for regular first team football.

If true then we would - that would mean Worner starting and presumably Gough on the bench, and if Worner should get injured/suspended or found out then we really would be in trouble.
  • Options
    I'll go in nets.
  • Options
    Andy Marshall on short contract?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Andy Marshall on short contract?

He has re signed for Aston Villa, albeit as third choice.

He could be a loan possibility, as would Ben Alnick, Iain Turner, Colin Doyle, Stuart Taylor perhaps. We would need help with all their wages however.
  • Options
    What's randy doing

Oh yeah I forgot
  • Options
    That would be a shame (genuinely, for once) cos after saturdays performance it would be nice for robbie to push on from that and hopefully continue in a rich vein of form ...... Cos if we are to have any chance of getting out of this hell hole of a league, robbie has to step up to the plate regularly ....
    Good luck robbie
  • Options
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    No mention of it last night. The whole goalkeeping thing was covered when Worner was bought, he has been bought for the long term, in the event of Elliot being out we would get a loan in.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36370&newstype=n
  • Options
    Bad news if true, especially after saturday. I imagine if this is true, Parky is having a desperate ringround to see who is available, and it will be announced when we sign them, like it was with Ikeme last year.

Alnwick is a good shout, Harry said when they signed Pletikosa that they were going to try and get Alnwick out on loan.....let's just hope that if it is him, he doesn't bring his video camera with him.....
  • Options
    edited September 2010