Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Please buy your poppies......

Comments

• Options
    Got mine last week. Lest we forget!
  • Options
    Haven't seen a single seller : -(
  • Options
    Got mine at Charing X tonight!
  • Options
    got mine, got one of the little badges this year.
  • Options
    Got mine last week. Feel very strongly that we owe a massive debt of gratitude to those who lay their lives on the line so that we can bleat and criticise about insignificant stuff.

They pay the price for our freedom.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Haven't seen a single seller : -(

Hopefully we'll both see one soon !!
  • Options
    Didn't someone on here sell them at Sidcup station a couple of years ago?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Plenty of sellers around - I have spent at least 20 squid on poppies of late and given them to non poppy wearers.

I see my Grandad in every one of them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Haven't seen a single seller : -(

same here!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]I see my Grandad in every one of them.

Nice comment

I Normally end up buying 4 or 5 a year as I keep losing them, but I do have the metal pin badge as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have a guy in West Kingsdown who comes round to all the loacal trading estates every year...funnily enough he's my IT guy as well so over the years I've got to know him quite well.
  • Options
    Seeing lots of boxes in local shops this year. Like DA9 always get a few as I lose them.

Will have to get one of those metal pins.

And not just for those who fell in the World and others wars but the wounded and families of those who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Options
    No I won't buy a poppy.

The British Legion which organises the sale of poppies only supports the ARMED services, in the 2nd World War more people died in the Merchant Navy than the 3 armed services put together. As far as I know none of the money received from poppy sales goes to remember or help those who were killed serving in the Merchant Navy.

Without the service of the Merchant Navy between 1939-1945 this country would have starved and tghe war lost..
  • Options
    as already said:

'lest we forget'
  • Options
    Lanchashire,

That is your right not to wear one if you so choose.

That is one of the freedoms that those service men as well as the Merchant Navy and other civilians won.

I disagree about not wearing one although I'm not aware of how ex Merchant Navy are or are not supported.
  • Options
    anyone know where I can aquire a metal pin badge mentioned on this thread? I'm in Bexley if that helps.
  • Options
    The millwall fan Ex evening standard seller outside Cannon Street has set up a huge poppy selling table. Ive seen more sellers this year than ever.

interesting point Lancashire.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]anyone know where I can aquire a metal pin badge mentioned on this thread? I'm in Bexley if that helps.

most sellers seem to have them, you need to ask them though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Plenty of sellers around - I have spent at least 20 squid on poppies of late and given them to non poppy wearers.

I see my Grandad in every one of them.
    I fully support our troops but I choose not to wear a poppy I still give money but I find the amount of them I lose ridiculous andoffensive towards our war heroes so I choose to give the money anyway but not wear the poppy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]No I won't buy a poppy.

The British Legion which organises the sale of poppies only supports the ARMED services, in the 2nd World War more people died in the Merchant Navy than the 3 armed services put together. As far as I know none of the money received from poppy sales goes to remember or help those who were killed serving in the Merchant Navy.

Without the service of the Merchant Navy between 1939-1945 this country would have starved and tghe war lost..

As a member of a local RBL club, I can tell you that you are incorrect, the RBL offers support, be it financial, physical, emotional or any other form of help (travel, convalesence etc) to all ex & current service people, not just the armed services, and that does include the Merchant Navy as well.
    This should not be about who played a larger part, in your or anyone elses view, they ALL played their part, whether major or minor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thanks Eltham.
  • Options
    There is a large stand outside the 99p store in the Priory centre in Dartford, manned by a couple of cadets at times.
  • Options
    ASDA Charlton has two large boxes of poppies etc by the lottery kiosk.
  • Options
    Lancashire, what do you do instead to support the merchant navy men who fell?
  • Options
    I worked with a guy at Deptford Power station who was in The Royal navy. He served through out the war on the convoys to Russia and canada. He lost two fingers with frost bit and was put on a charge for it--- told me all about it when i was moaning how cold it was on the jetty at Deptford.

My Grand father wounded 3 times in WWI lost his brother at Ypres hated General(Field Marshal)Haig and poppies use to have HAIG on the centre black button. He always sold em though at Slade Green social club.

As Henry said people have the choice to wear /not to wear---slag off this country/ or not because so mant died for their(our rights) to have OPINIONS.
  • Options
    I just give money and don't take the poppy. Invariably I either stab myself with the pin or lose it anyway.
  • Options

I didn't know that, but it doesn't and shouldn't detract from the need to support veterans of our armed forces.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

I didn't know that, but it doesn't and shouldn't detract from the need to support veterans of our armed forces.

It shouldn't because it's not true.
  • Options
    Proud poppy wearer here, but i do have to ask

is the selling getting earlier and earlier every year ?
  • Options
    And bloody spooky i just noticed i posted that at 11.11 !