Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Lite

finishes in 30 days.

Revert back to the Standard being the only evening paper.

Hmm, wonder how long that will remain free for......

Comments

• Options
    always thought the Lite was part of the Evening Standard anyway and couldn't see why they were both given away free...
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The London Paper was owned by The Standard, hence when that stopped a month back they announced the Standard was going for nowt. Don't know who owns the Lite?

*edit* The Lite used to owned by The Standard before being bought out.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lite is owned by Associated, who sold their stake in the Standard to some Russian a few months back, though i understand some content sharing agreement has remained.

My missus is going to miss reading that silly texting column
  • Options
    The 'Lite & Bitter' text column in the Sports pages always made me smile. Always the plastics giving it. I do have to admit texting once (which got printed) about the Nigels attempts to hire the plane...
  • Options
    The Evening Standard will be gone within 5 years or sooner, it was always shite now the free one is even shittier. Hard to make it worse but they have managed it. Congrats all round!! No loss either.
  • Options
    i thought they made those text in columns up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]always thought the Lite was part of the Evening Standard anyway and couldn't see why they were both given away free...

The sub-Standard was sold a few months ago, until then it and the London Lite were both part of the Daily Mail Group. DMG only launched the Lite because News International launched their own free London paper but once that bit the dust they probably could see no more reason to print it. I presume that DMG still print the Standard, and if so I'm guessing that with it going free that the print run is going to be drastically expanded and therefore they don't have the capacity on the presses to print both, plus yhey are presumably extracting a bit more money from the Standard's new owners.
  • Options
    the london lite text things do make me laugh - haven't seen a lite for a while though - did they ever find out where the announcer at cannon street is from? if you get it every day you can follow the stories. often made me laugh out loud some of it
  • Options
    London Lite's appalling, good riddance to bad rubbish. A mean-spirited, miserable little rag.

Associated still owns 25% of the Standard, and had to pay the Standard a fair whack to use its copy in London Lite. The sad thing is that a few Standard people will have gone over to Lite when it launched, and may have nowhere to go after.

I give the Standard two years.
  • Options
    I can't believe how bad all three London evening papers are/were. You have a captive audience of several million commuters travelling long distances into/out of one of the biggest cities in the world, generally a very affluent readership and all they could do was produce drivel about about what z list celeb was seen coming out of a nightclub at 2AM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Lite is owned by Associated, who sold their stake in the Standard to some Russian a few months back, though i understand some content sharing agreement has remained.

My missus is going to miss reading that silly texting column
    A lot of people are unaware of the media behemoth that is Associated and how far its tentacles spread. As Associated Newspapers, it owns a number of media properties, like the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday Newspapers; Metro, London Lite and Loot; as well as Teletext and a printing company, Harmsworth Printing. The group (DGMT) also owns "regional newspapers" (like Lite) and "local newspapers" (Kent and Sussex Courier, Sevenoaks Chronicle, Derby Evening Telegraph, Leicester Mercury, etc, etc almost in finitum); loads of the "This Is..." web sites; and radio stations.

They employ more than 17,500 staff; and the boss is the horribly-good looking, eye-wateringly rich and charming toff, Jonathan Harmsworth (4th Viscount Rothermere) - the nicest billionaire I have ever met!
  • Options
    Actually the corporate entity is not Associated but Daily Mail and General Trust. Associated Newspapers is the newspaper arm of the group and yep their tentacles spread far and wide local newspapers and trade shows - they used to own for example the Ideal Home show.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Actually the corporate entity is not Associated but Daily Mail and General Trust. Associated Newspapers is the newspaper arm of the group and yep their tentacles spread far and wide local newspapers and trade shows - they used to own for example the Ideal Home show.
    Let's not split heirs ;o)
  • Options
    So we are back to just the standard...... I always felt it was just a matter of time, no way were they going to sustain both in the same stable. I had noticed in the last week that the stories were cut and paste and re-introded in the morning for the Metro!. Surprised that someone else has not tried this like time out, or Branson but then he got his fingers burned with the magazine I was on 'event', one of Branson's few failures.........
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Chizz I thought Daily Mail & General Trust was the holding company?

Oops just noticed BFR's comment...
  • Options
    How long for the Northern club loving Metro??
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]the boss is the horribly-good looking, (snip), Jonathan Harmsworth
    Really? Tuck it in mate - he looks like a cross between Rory Bremner and that pillock that tried to cough his way to big money on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
  • Options
    I was always an Evening News man myself but have bought the Standard since they swallowed up the News.
    I really do not see what all the fuss is about the Standard. It's a newspaper ffs! Why do people get so wound up? So the CAFC coverage is poor, but then it is in all major papers.
    Although part of the Daily Mail group for some time it never really reported things in the reactionary way the Mail does. I like to read Matthew Normans column because it always reminds me what a complete c**t he is, just in case I'd forgotten from the week before. Mellor’s musings used to amuse me too.
    I read all newspapers, on-line mainly these days. Even the Guardian (great crossword.) I make up my own mind though about things without being influenced by how they are reported.
    The Evening Standard is ok, it's something to read on the train and does review all the new restaurants in London. Mrs Chirps likes it too.
    I have noticed it has got thinner since going free though, especially this week. I hope it does go back to a non-free paper.
  • Options
    Even thinner tonight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Even thinner tonight.

I thought it was The Even Stennit ?