Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fireworks advice on what to buy.

Ok- I really don't do fireworks other than public displays but-

I've been invited to a "look how amazing my new house is" party and basically the brief is that everyone takes two "as big as possible" fireworks....

What do I go for and where do I get them?

Thanks peeps....

Comments

• This should scare most children and animals within the area.
  • Biggest is not always best, as my mate Gumbo would say
  • I don't want to put you off but...I used to know someone who held a similar party. Someone bought a firework which was purchased from one of those firework shops. The thing exploded in his face when he went to light it and he's no longer here to tell the tale. In my opinion, unless you are are 1000% sure that these fireworks are safe, keep well away and stick with public displays.
  • My point exactly V McM. I most certainly do want to buy from a reputable shop- Ideally, I want something with some class, if fireworks can be described this way, but as I've just done the mortgage on this place and there will be a load of similar people about I don't want to look a complete tit..

FoD- they look nasty! Thanks...

Any other ideas- what about somewhere like John Lewis etc??
  • edited October 2009
    I used these guys last year and was really very happy with the results. The multishots looked seriously professional

Devco

EDIT: the shop's there all year, not one of these fly by night jobs.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]the shop's there all year, not one of these fly by night jobs.
    "Fly by night" firework shop? Brilliant, McL!
  • Just make sure you dont wear your shellsuit!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]the shop's there all year, not one of these fly by night jobs.
    Unintentional

*hangs head*
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]the shop's there all year, not one of these fly by night jobs.
    Unintentional

*hangs head*

No hanging head required- almost a coffee over laptop moment from me.

Any other suggestions of retailers etc??
  • Is there the big one on Blackheath this year ? i think Danson Park has one so maybe its off.

Seems to me that Nov 5th has been taken over by hallowen. Shame really as our PMs more than at anyother time since Guy Fawkes was about do need a very real rocket uptheir arses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was saying yesterday to my wife that Halloween seems to have taken over - bloody american influence. Need to remind kids that bonfire night is the real thing ;-)

GH - have you seen V for Vendetta - parliament got its just desserts at the end of the film ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Was saying yesterday to my wife that Halloween seems to have taken over - bloody american influence. Need to remind kids that bonfire night is the real thing ;-)

GH - have you seen V for Vendetta - parliament got its just desserts at the end of the film ;-)

Never mind about Halloween. They've started already with the Christmas adverts on the tele. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Re:fireworks, just don't get involved with 'em.
  • I'm sticking with a couple of sparklers, held at arms length, wearing my wooly gloves and duffle coat, mum and dad standing nearby smiling at me, their faces illuminated up by the flames of the bonfire. Sorry, I must have dozed off, I thought it was 1958 again.
  • popped into that fine dining establishment fox under the hill or whatever it is called last night. They got a fekking xmas tree up!!
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    Unintentional

*hangs head*
    I had a battery of Firestorms last year, backed with a mixed bag of rockets, a screaming banshee, British Festival and the fearsome looking Alien War (mostly off the multishot page). All were good. Oh yeah and a couple of Catherine Wheels (still massive scorch marks on the fence). There was actually a few left over that I took to a mate's party the next week to show off with.

If there was anyway I could internally justify spending 120 quid on a firework I'd be all over the British Celebration 1600 shot lunacy - goes on for absolutely yonks (well probably longer than it would take you to burn the cash anyway!!)
  • There's a few places that sell them all year round - they are the best bet.

I always remember about 20 years my dad bought a beast of one called "The Land Mine". The instructions were to bury it (fully submerged) 6 inches deep and only a small tube at the top and the fuse were visible.

The whole family gathered around for the magnificence.

There then followed a 30 second pause followed by the loudest noise i've ever heard. Within seconds we were covered in mud and dirt.
    The firework was, by all accounts, merely a landmine.

Good times!
  • Want one
  • A radical idea, Go to an organised display, you should not buy fireworks not only do they frighten animals they are a waste of money. You can never get fireworks at home that even compare and if i had my way they would be banned from shops. And another thing, how come fireworks go off for about a month either side of firework night, bad enough protecting my cats for 1 day any thing more impossible!!**!!

RANT OVER
  • If it inconveniences the furry monsters that dig up my garden and shite all over it, it's a small price to pay.

Anyhoo, Stanmore's going to somebody's house and there's a firework theme so a display's not an option.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Is there the big one on Blackheath this year ? i think Danson Park has one so maybe its off.

Seems to me that Nov 5th has been taken over by hallowen. Shame really as our PMs more than at anyother time since Guy Fawkes was about do need a very real rocket uptheir arses.

The blackheath display is on 7th Novemeber. 8pm start.

Should be good if last years is anything to go on and it's free.

http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/News/LatestNews/BlackheathFireworks2009.htm
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]There's a few places that sell them all year round - they are the best bet.

I always remember about 20 years my dad bought a beast of one called "The Land Mine". The instructions were to bury it (fully submerged) 6 inches deep and only a small tube at the top and the fuse were visible.

The whole family gathered around for the magnificence.

There then followed a 30 second pause followed by the loudest noise i've ever heard. Within seconds we were covered in mud and dirt.
    The firework was, by all accounts, merely a landmine.

Good times!
    I want that one!
  • [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]A radical idea, Go to an organised display, you should not buy fireworks not only do they frighten animals they are a waste of money. You can never get fireworks at home that even compare and if i had my way they would be banned from shops. And another thing, how come fireworks go off for about a month either side of firework night, bad enough protecting my cats for 1 day any thing more impossible!!**!!

RANT OVER

Kimbo- I totally agree- My lovely border collie used to cower in fear during this season- btw- I think you will find that It's Divalli (sp) that is the reason why the fireworks go on for ages.

I'm selling my soul for this party but it just has to be done.
  • [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]A radical idea, Go to an organised display, you should not buy fireworks not only do they frighten animals they are a waste of money. You can never get fireworks at home that even compare and if i had my way they would be banned from shops. And another thing, how come fireworks go off for about a month either side of firework night, bad enough protecting my cats for 1 day any thing more impossible!!**!!

RANT OVER

diwali starts this week - we heard fireworks this weekend.

hate firework parties, very dangerous, too much risk of them flying all over the place if not by you then a neighbour getting competitive. i'm lokoing forward to a walk to blackheath, then a stroll home with tinnies in pockets.
  • any tips on where to buy some decent and value ones for tonight? I see theres a new shop in Blackfen
  • I got some in trade fireworks on Pickford Lane , Bexleyheath
  • I've heard that the prices have rocketed this year and are now sky high :-)
  • congratulations on your sparkler (ing) wit..
  • My mate bought a TNT warrior for 90 quid last week.. fairly safe and easy to use. Lit the end and away it went. lasted a few minutes. luckily a few of us chipped in.

suzi where you going beforehand on saturday? i might wander up to British Oak and go from there as blackheath is always so busy.
  • I'd rather set fire to £50.00.......

It only takes 30 secs to burn and then you can go to the pub.

Utter waste of time and money.

One of the most pointless nights of the year.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]I'd rather set fire to £50.00.......

It only takes 30 secs to burn and then you can go to the pub.

Utter waste of time and money.

One of the most pointless nights of the year.

I would rather just watch the league one highlights on BBC. See all the goals without wasting 90 mins watchin the rest of the match.....