Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

English Whiskey

Anyone ever tried it ? the distillery is up in Norfolk. We passed it going to the game up there.

I cant drink whiskey as me and a whole bottle -- bikers party--- aged 16--- St Nicks hospital etc etc

Looked at their site and they have a special edition whiskey at £178 a bottle !!!!!

PS THai whiskey tastes like rum !

Comments

• Thanks GH .......I just had to find out more, so I googled English whisky and found the St George's Distillery in Norfolk, founded in 2006. The master distiller is vastly experienced and previously had a high reputation producing Glenlivet and Laphroaig (or Leapfrog as it's affectionately known) single malts.

One interesting fact is because it's a milder warmer climate in Norfolk compared to most Scottish distilleries, the English whisky will only take 6 years to mature to the standard of 10-year Scottish single malts.

Some is being matured in Bourbon barrels from Jim Bream in the USA.

The first production is expected to be on sale in time for the Christmas market this year, but the main target is to gain a slice of the 2012 Olympics market as the only English distilled single malt whisky.
  • Whiskey (the word) is English comes from the galic word for whiskey which to the English(whoever they are) sounded like "whiskey" and the rest they say is history.
  • You mean whisky not whiskey......comes from the words 'uisge beatha' in gaelic (water of life).
  • edited October 2009
    There's a distillery in Bavaria - http://www.slyrs.de
  • Well, anyone out there who drinks single malts (rather than the bland blended whiskies like Teachers, Bells etc), a question:

Would you choose to buy English whisky ...... ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Well, anyone out there who drinks single malts (rather than the bland blended whiskies like Teachers, Bells etc), a question:

Curiousity, and if it's any good then why not? As much as I like the stuff there is a premium built into Scottish/Irish whisky/whiskey, which makes drinking it in pubs/restaurants more of a luxury rather than a regular thing.

Anyway their site:

http://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/home.html
  • might be a market outside of the real whiskey drinkers Oggy. All thye gift shops in London re tourists and people like my late Dad who traveled alot and always brought back a miniture or a bottle.

might buy a few bottles and send em to the Jock mafia which runs HM Gov ! ------------------------------------------actually thinking about it dont think that little distillery could handle that volume at once or my pocket come to that !!
  • Would have to be bloody good to beat the Talisker that's been the favourite of the March Clan for many years, Oggy!
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Anyone ever tried it ? the distillery is up in Norfolk. We passed it going to the game up there.

I cant drink whiskey as me and a whole bottle -- bikers party--- aged 16--- St Nicks hospital etc etc

Looked at their site and they have a special edition whiskey at £178 a bottle !!!!!

PS THai whiskey tastes like rum !

Just need a bucket,couple cans of coke and a small bottle of that red bull type stuff and a straw, then away you go.
    Never tastes quite the same when done at a BBQ in England compared to drinking it out there though.
  • I was in the States a couple of weeks ago, drinking their Jim Bream and Jack Daniels bourbon, which to me was about the standard of Bells or Asda own label.

So anything resembling a single malt whisky, palatable with a decent aftertaste, would be worth trying in my book.
    So I'd give St George's english whisky a go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah, Talisker, Mr March. Good choice!

Mr One Lung, I'm sure your suggestion is ideal for Thai whisky that tastes like rum, but that would actually destroy a single malt ..... (!)

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Well, anyone out there who drinks single malts (rather than the bland blended whiskies like Teachers, Bells etc), a question:

I'd give it a try as long as it's not priced for the tourist market. Not sure about matured for only 6 years, don't think it'll be enough time for it to get the character from those american barrels.

When it comes to heavy malts I prefer Ardbeg 10 to Talisker, altough I've got a bottle of quarter cask I've yet to open. Lighter malts I tend to go for are Dalwhinnie 15yo and a Rosebank 10yo (F&F) that i save for special occasions. I'm also nearly through a bottle '86 Balblair that I picked up at the airport earlier this year, very rich and has a wonderful fruity smell (or nose, if you really want to be correct about the term).

I started getting into malts after having to visit Aberdeen for work a few years ago, my liver hasn't forgiven me.
  • I've got to admit I love the heathery peaty smoky 'nose' (right, Alex...?) of Laphroaig - and a mate of mine occasionally opens an extra aged Quarter-Cask version which is 48% proof and delightfully subtle.

Another very easy going lightly but subtly flavoured favourite is Aberlour 10-year old, which you can buy in most supermarkets. My old chum Dave the Neighbour, who needless to say doesn't live next door, is my single malt expert.
    I'll have to ask him about his many obscure and small production bottles in his collection - at the last count he had 47 different single malts ...... and reading his Single Malt Bible, listing every single malt produced in about the last 50 years, is a revelation in itself.

Slainte mhath - (pronounced....... slange-y-va) ...... not very English I know, lol
  • One of my favourite shops in London is The Whisky Exchange

Jim Murrays Bible is interesting, so is the late Micheal Jackson's (no, not THAT one) Whisky companion.
  • Try (and complete)drinking a whole bottle---no mixers of Teachers at 16 ---whiskey bah i shit it !! actually that was probably true ----- for about a week !!!!!!!!

PS Kids dont try above at home ---- or anywhere.
  • Think ill give that a miss GH, especially with Teachers.

Ive got a bottle of Highland Park, Laphroaig & Lagavulin over here...might just have to have a little taster tonight after all this talk.

As for the English Whisky, ill give it go but reckon its potential to be a bit raw.

No.
  • I'd be curious to give it a go, as long as it's reasonably priced. Recently tried a Welsh version which was ok, if nothing special. Does anyone else find Bowmore soapy? I might've tried it too early, before getting acquainted with a few others but made a dick of myself by politely asking the barman to pour another as the glass tasted of soap. Second (fresh) glass was exactly the same!

Recommend Ben Nevis, which sounds like a made up brand for a Scottish-set film, but is surprisingly sweet & smooth.
  • We visited the Ben Nevis distillery a few years ago and it was possible to buy your own cask.The cask is kept by the distillery under bond and when the whisky has matured and you have paid the tax and warehouse charges it's yours for around £500 for the hogshead. You just have to be a little patient during the 10 year maturing stage!
  • Have never had a taste for whiskey before, but tried a local malt (Glenkinchie) in Edinburgh earlier this year and I'm now a convert.

Have since tried Dalwhinnie, and am now on to Jura - all lovely stuff!
  • Sponsored links:

• " AllLeftFoot

Have never had a taste for whiskey before, but tried a local malt (Glenkinchie) in Edinburgh earlier this year and I'm now a convert."

If you like Glenkinchie, you should try Auchentoshan, another lowland single malt.
  • Cheers - will make that my next purchase!
  • The distillary is not far from where I live. I haven't tried any.

Incidentally it's Scotch Whisky and Irish Whiskey. So Englands finest could, I guess be either although the master distiller comes from the scottish tradition.
  • lovers of Scotland's finest export may be interested in this:

http://www.thewhiskyshow.com/2009/

A bit expensive, but then again........
  • I think the best Whiskey in the world is actually Japanese - they win loads of awards for it (something about the purity of the water - meltwater drains down through rock that is completely non-sedimentary - and hence picks up nothing of the substrate as it comes down)

Of course, I couldn't possibly comment because if I drink even two scotches my head feels like some f***er's been kicking it all night the next morning, so don't touch the stuff.
  • edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: rm1 exile[/cite]If you like Glenkinchie, you should try Auchentoshan, another lowland single malt.
    I though Glenkinchie was the only lowland malt. Shows what I know. To me, it tastes like a blend compared to a proper dram. I now know that lowland malts are NOT A crime against god, so I'm not at all cheered by the idea of English Whisky. It's all fine and dandy, Thais, Irish, Japanese all make a decent drink called Whisky, but it ain't the real McCoy. I'm not one of those mental sweaties that won't hear a bar of anyone else's stuff being any good, but on malts and square sausage, if it's not tartan, it's not an option.

The problem whisky has is that there's such a range of the drink from the horrors of Bells to a decent 18y.o Islay is so far apart. So many people get given a minging Bells and coke when they're 16 and resolve that it's vile.

I always keep at least half a dozen varied singles ferreted around the house for emergencies. Without doubt the best I've ever tasted (by a mile and half) is Caol Ila (an Islay) 59% alcohol. Slips down an absolute treat, warming the heart on the way. An extremely generous friend bought me a bottle and I downed half of it within 3 hours. Now I'm savouring the last drops and panicking about paying for the nx one.
  • [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]lovers of Scotland's finest export may be interested in this:

http://www.thewhiskyshow.com/2009/

A bit expensive, but then again........
    My best bud is down from the auld country for the weekend... is it possible that we could get our money's worth???

The Rum Show I went to recent £10 and I easily exceeded there, so it's possibly.
  • My drinks cabinet permanently has a bottle or two of single malt Welsh whiskey, my favoured evening tipple. I believe it is the only spirit hailing from west of Offa`s Dyke.
    Jolly good ot is too.

I'd give it a go, why not? Obviously Scotch Whisky is the big boy on the block and has the best reputation. But then there's a lot of snobbishness about it too which is not necessarily a good thing. Look at the wine industry, where the French have such mis-placed pride in their product; whereas it is Chile that produces the best wine in all but the most unaffordable categories. You never know, in a few years time English whisky may well be the one to beat.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]You never know, in a few years time English whisky may well be the one to beat.

Good point, Stig.

Who knows .......... the Jocks have been perfecting the art for centuries.

But the St George's distillery in Norfolk has a Scots master distiller, vastly experienced and has a high reputation producing Glenlivet and Laphroaig single malts.

So this English whiskey might just slip down a treat!