Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

weather in Australia

Bit off topic with pikeys BNP takeover FACTS and Dickson, but I am a bit of a weather bore, love the summer me and want to know if the weather in aus is as good as we imagine. Been looking at weather FACTS for a few weeks now as I miss the sunshine, well I normally do at this time of year, but looking at Melbourne and Sydney they are listed as 14C and 16C at midday. Is this correct? I always thought it was nice all year round, but taking into account we are now at their equivalent of our april/May period, I would hope for better here. Am I missing something here, is this the night temperature, or is it just hot for a couple of months, come on mascot or other aus based addicks, is the weather there not quite what we are led to believe, as I have always wanted to go and want to know how many jumpers I need to take, or çardies for some people. Maybe I should just stick with Singapore where my sister lives where it is 30C every day with a risk of thunderstorms.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite] Maybe I should just stick with Dymchurch.
  • Options
    hot all year round at the top of the country but melbourne can be quite chilly.

They are heading into Summer now so would have thought Sydney was hotter than that. September/october are lovely summer months in Sydney - gets too hot Xmas/jan. I never had to wear a coat when i lived in sydney - jsut a jacket but never gloves or scarves.
  • Options
    You need to wear gloves and scarves here, I thought you were hard.
  • Options
    JT, dymchurch beach beats bondi anyday, FACT. Though I haven't had a swim this year I may well do this weekend, I hear it is a bit warmer the nearer you get to Dungeness?
  • Options
    Cold & pee'd down all the time I was in Sydney during August a while back. Also needed to buy hat and gloves for a trip to the Bluey's but then I suppose it was their winter.
  • Options
    Well blue mountains I would assume would be a bit colder. But I lived in Manly and the winter never really got that cold.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]JT, dymchurch beach beats bondi anyday, FACT. Though I haven't had a swim this year I may well do this weekend, I hear it is a bit warmer the nearer you get to Dungeness?

Wouldn't go anywhere near that sea!
  • Options
    last November in Qatar it was piggin freezing at night. Didnt take any warm weather gear. Thought is was a bit daft all the AC units within the new building having a heating mode !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Bit off topic with pikeys BNP takeover FACTS and Dickson, but I am a bit of a weather bore, love the summer me and want to know if the weather in aus is as good as we imagine. Been looking at weather FACTS for a few weeks now as I miss the sunshine, well I normally do at this time of year, but looking at Melbourne and Sydney they are listed as 14C and 16C at midday. Is this correct? I always thought it was nice all year round, but taking into account we are now at their equivalent of our april/May period, I would hope for better here. Am I missing something here, is this the night temperature, or is it just hot for a couple of months, come on mascot or other aus based addicks, is the weather there not quite what we are led to believe, as I have always wanted to go and want to know how many jumpers I need to take, or çardies for some people. Maybe I should just stick with Singapore where my sister lives where it is 30C every day with a risk of thunderstorms.

Been a bit different over here on the West coast!
    Been poxy today, quite dry, but sodding humid. No real sun but still about 25. Yesterday was clear as a bell and 32, while last saturday had a stormer of 37!

Should be picking up in the next couple of weeks from what we have been told, and come the star of December it will be 30 at least every day, creeping up to 40+ on a few through till about April.
    Was watching the games yesterday and see the floodlights on before half time at the hammers v arsenal, hate that time of year when the clocks go back!

Still will have to dig out my big jacket for when I come home home for xmas, especially to watch us beat the scum on Dec 19th!!
  • Options
    saying that Eirik we were in Perth first week of Feb 2008, weather should have been fab, and we experienced soem of the wettest Feb weather on record. Went to Rottnest and it rained all sodding day although it didn't stop me from having a dip. Best day we had was a schorcher though and luckily spent the day at Cottisloe and Scarborough followed by a fish and chip supper at Hillary's.

As for Melbourne and Sydney, even in the height of summer, you can have bad weather and 'chilly' days as here. In Oz, for me, it's more the lifestyle than anything else. You don't know how much I envy you !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Bit off topic with pikeys BNP takeover FACTS and Dickson, but I am a bit of a weather bore, love the summer me and want to know if the weather in aus is as good as we imagine. Been looking at weather FACTS for a few weeks now as I miss the sunshine, well I normally do at this time of year, but looking at Melbourne and Sydney they are listed as 14C and 16C at midday. Is this correct? I always thought it was nice all year round, but taking into account we are now at their equivalent of our april/May period, I would hope for better here. Am I missing something here, is this the night temperature, or is it just hot for a couple of months, come on mascot or other aus based addicks, is the weather there not quite what we are led to believe, as I have always wanted to go and want to know how many jumpers I need to take, or çardies for some people. Maybe I should just stick with Singapore where my sister lives where it is 30C every day with a risk of thunderstorms.

Its not quite summer "down south" just yet, we are only in the early stages of summer here in Brisbane.

Summer does not really start here until mid-November and once it comes it gets very hot very fast indeed. November-February are the really hot months here in Brisbane and it stays warm until April.

Melbourne and Sydney can be quite changeable in summer but when they get a wind blowing in from the desert it can get bloody hot, especially in Melbourne, whereas Sydney gets more of a breeze from the ocean.
  • Options
    Got family in Oz and used to live in Bondi, your best bet for great weather is our cold months if I was you I d go to Noosa and Byron bay and then probably travel down to Sydney.
  • Options
    Well to be frank, Its fricken freezing at times in Melbourne at height of winter I have been surprised it doesnt snow, the reason for this is there are three weather systems interacting with each other(four season in one day) so in winter every now and then we get the antarctic weather hitting us, which is very cold, yet still not as cold as London on a bitter jan or feb tuesday...

You get about 3 or 4 months of pretty mediocre weather, can be lots of rain... just a bit shit really.. and then in come s the summer for ages quite a few months of it... but it does get a bit too hot...(45 degrees)

Now my theory is that it is becasue of this weather Melbourne is the best place in Oz, having lived on the gold coast where it is hot and sunny every day, every day... hot and sunny..... unfortunately there isnt my soul, so once im spent up and have fully sold my soul I intend to retire there...

But Melbourne with its weird weather system, it adds something, and for me makes it the only place to live.... if Melbourne wasnt here I wouldnt be in OZ...
  • Options
    Melbourne is a great place to live/visit but reasons to go there would include arts/culture, bars and the generally cosmopolitan nature of the place not the weather.

As Mascot says the Gold coast is sunny most of the time but soulless, beaches surrounded by new concrete buildings. The further north you go the hotter it gets but you have to watch where you swim in the sea due to stinging jelly fish in the (southern hemisphere) summer.

In Byron hinterland (North NSW) the weather is good most of the time year round (no need for a jumper ever unless you go into the hills around July/August). But it does'nt get really hot 38C or above like it does further north or in Melbourne in summer.
  • Options
    Melbourne is great, variable climate, lots to see and do, very cosmopolitan and a good vibe. I disagree with ByronAddick about the Gold Coast. I loved Surfers, Broadbeach etc and yeah it can seem high-rise and soul less but you have to temper that with the ability of within less than an hour of getting away into the Glasshouse Mountains with it's spectacular views, cooler climate, quaint towns etc.

We landed in Melbourne in November 2001, got to our hotel and immediately got a text saying we had won 4-2 at Highbury. Happy dayz !! About ten dayz later we were in Adelaide Cathedral and the curator, a Lancastrian, noticing my CAFC cap said what a fantastic game that was the night before, beating Arsenal 4-2. Being an International Break they had shown the game on TV again and I'd missed out once more. Doh !
  • Options
    Did you see the quokas on rottnest? Loved the little feckers I did
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ByronAddick[/cite]Melbourne is a great place to live/visit but reasons to go there would include arts/culture, bars and the generally cosmopolitan nature of the place not the weather.

As Mascot says the Gold coast is sunny most of the time but soulless, beaches surrounded by new concrete buildings. The further north you go the hotter it gets but you have to watch where you swim in the sea due to stinging jelly fish in the (southern hemisphere) summer.

In Byron hinterland (North NSW) the weather is good most of the time year round (no need for a jumper ever unless you go into the hills around July/August). But it does'nt get really hot 38C or above like it does further north or in Melbourne in summer.

Byron is gorgeous, getting a bit over-crowded these days though!!!
  • Options
    Good point Large, but the weather is always good when we beat Arsenal and I have noticed its not as good when we loose at Colchester!
  • Options
    Your right Ormiston, the hinterland better than the town.
  • Options
    I reckon the Sunshine Coast takes some beating. Never gets below 14, or much above 33 degrees during the day. Fantastic beaches, beautiful hinterland uncrouded and unspoilt. Blue sky and sunny days much of the time with Sept, Oct my favorite months. I like to visit Sydney and Melbourne but could never live there, far too busy too much traffic etc. Can't stand being stuck in traffic anymore! To be honest Melbourne has now got so busy I don't see any advantage to living there rather than London. Noosa and Byron are my two favourite places in Oz, with Noosa only 20 mins north and Byron 3 hours drive south.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ByronAddick[/cite]Your right Ormiston, the hinterland better than the town.

Yes, the whole of the northern rivers region of NSW is stunning, from Byron right up to the Tweed is glorious and far nicer than the bloody Gold Coast with its tacky malls and high-rises.

That's why the over development up in Kingscliff really pissed me off (Salt, etc), because they were turning a very special place into a Gold Coast MK II.

Leave the Gold Coast for the tourists and schoolies and let the cilvilised people enjoy northern NSW.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]I reckon the Sunshine Coast takes some beating. Never gets below 14, or much above 33 degrees during the day. Fantastic beaches, beautiful hinterland uncrouded and unspoilt. Blue sky and sunny days much of the time with Sept, Oct my favorite months. I like to visit Sydney and Melbourne but could never live there, far too busy too much traffic etc. Can't stand being stuck in traffic anymore! To be honest Melbourne has now got so busy I don't see any advantage to living there rather than London. Noosa and Byron are my two favourite places in Oz, with Noosa only 20 mins north and Byron 3 hours drive south.

yeah, well on days like today when melbourne is 26/27 and Ive got my palm tree tapping on my window , the doors wide open and im sitting a can of wild turkey and coke..... I can see a little bit of difference ;)

When I want to settle down Ill get up the coast and queensland will be the place for sure, but I still need a bit of city me......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]can of wild turkey and coke
    Canned, mixed, American whisky.

And they say Aussies lack class
  • Options
    Northern Beaches area of Sydney....Usually we get lows of about 14C, Can dip down to 5-6C overnight in the winter (more commonly 10C), but 16-20C during the day isnt uncommon in winter. Summer varies between 23 and 35C with a few really hot days, but being 5 mins from the sea, it rarely affects us like it can do for the Westies (40C an hourinland and stifelingly hot at times). We often get a southerly in the evening following a really hot day and it cools the place down just nicely. I was listening to Vega on the internet the other day and it was saying that the weather was expected to hit 32C the following day.....not bad for spring.
  • Options
    ooooooh this thread has got me excited about my honeymoon!
  • Options
    I spent one Xmas in Tasmania, Xmas day was cold and wet, was expecting to go to the beach. Was not happy
  • Options
    Makes me feel homesick....
    :-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]can of wild turkey and coke
    Canned, mixed, American whisky.

And they say Aussies lack class

it might not be classy, but I love it....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]ooooooh this thread has got me excited about my honeymoon!

where are you going the sooz ?