Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welling reserve at Internazionale.

Henry Jnrs coach in his school team plays for Welling Reserves (Lee Williams).

According to Young Henry this coach told him that one of the Welling reserves won a "search for a star" show and a place at Inter.

Anyone know

1. Who this kid at Inter is?

2. Is Lee Williams any good as a player?

Comments

• Options
    Don't think the show has been aired yet h, comming soon to sky I belive. One of the kids from the original chelsea show is at the wings I belive sam hurrell if I'm correct, carl magnay was another and I'm sure as eggs is eggs we looked at one of the chelsea kids who did well in the show.
  • Options
    You would not believe it but the lad's grandad is my next door neighour. From what he was telling me it sounded like the Sky 1 'win a place at the Chelsea acadamy' series, and i think again it is Sky based.

I think he is about 17 / 18, and i think he played in the pre-season friendly for Welling against us. Don't know if he is still out there, he was a couple of weeks ago and i know he got through the first cut. Grandad is very proud, don't know about the boy but grandad and others in the family are Charlton ST holders.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite] One of the kids from the original chelsea show is at the wings I belive sam hurrell if I'm correct.

Yeah he's definitely at Welling, pretty much a regular for them.
  • Options
    Thanks, story must have got mixed up in the telling. I thought he had won the whole thing but sounds like that Chelsea show where they cut someone every week.

Any idea when it is on TV? I quite enjoyed some of the Chelsea shows. Didn't one of them end up at MK Dons
  • Options
    The lad i'm referring to is called Ben Greenhalgh, never heard of Lee Williams.

No idea when it will be screened
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]The lad i'm referring to is called Ben Greenhalgh, never heard of Lee Williams.

I used to work with an Ethan Greenhalgh, might be his son, he would be about that age.
  • Options
    Again Henry Jnrs thought that Lee Williams was with the CAFC academy when younger but that might be a bit mixed up as well.

Was just curious about him. Met him a few times and seems a nice bloke and Joe has really done well with his coaching.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Again Henry Jnrs thought that Lee Williams was with the CAFC academy when younger but that might be a bit mixed up as well.

Was just curious about him. Met him a few times and seems a nice bloke and Joe has really done well with his coaching.

Do you know what he looks like, I know of a coach called Lee Williams, was on the books at Gillingham and played for Margate for a few years. He is about six two and ginger.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]The lad i'm referring to is called Ben Greenhalgh, never heard of Lee Williams.

[cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]

I used to work with an Ethan Greenhalgh, might be his son, he would be about that age.

I used to play football over the park with Ethan, Matthew and John Greenhalgh. Ethan still lives in Hurst Road, Sidcup and his wife teaches at my youngest son's Junior school. Last time I saw Matthew was when I played cricket against him a decade or so ago and he was a teacher at that time.

Their parents were of German extraction I believe.
  • Options
    Spoilers!

He'll do well to get from Welling to their first team Inter's Bizarre Wonder Gol From This Weekend
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ethan is about 50 now, does that sound about right?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Ethan is about 50 now, does that sound about right?

Yep but I don't know if he has a son called Ben. Works or worked for Barclays?
  • Options
    I worked with him at what was then called Midland Bank in Greenwich circa 1999.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]I worked with him at what was then called Midland Bank in Greenwich circa 1999.

lol - knew it was a Bank.

My eldest knows of Ben because he's a Welling Season ticket holder. He says that 12 of them are training at Inter and the winner gets a year's contract. The connection with the previous Chelsea Icon show and this one is Mourinho.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Again Henry Jnrs thought that Lee Williams was with the CAFC academy when younger but that might be a bit mixed up as well.

Do you know what he looks like, I know of a coach called Lee Williams, was on the books at Gillingham and played for Margate for a few years. He is about six two and ginger.

No not him then. About 20, 5'11, skinny and mousy hair.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]I worked with him at what was then called Midland Bank in Greenwich circa 1999.

My eldest knows of Ben because he's a Welling Season ticket holder. He says that 12 of them are training at Inter and the winner gets a year's contract. The connection with the previous Chelsea Icon show and this one is Mourinho.

It's a small world.

AA, can you ask him if he's heard of this Lee Williams in the reserves. Welling do seem to have a huge first team squad for a club of their size.
  • Options
    Full Details

Here you go
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]

It's a small world.

AA, can you ask him if he's heard of this Lee Williams in the reserves. Welling do seem to have a huge first team squad for a club of their size.

He doesn't seem to no but then he only gets to see the first team.
  • Options
    Foxtel (Sky) did this show with Melbourne Victory last season.....put a few very good kids in the shop window, so cant be all that bad an idea
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]The lad i'm referring to is called Ben Greenhalgh, never heard of Lee Williams.

No idea when it will be screened[/quote]
    Played with Ben two years a go at willet wanderes in petts wood he's a good player. I no he is/was at Darick Wood school.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    at last the area begins to benefit from our links with inter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]at last the area begins to benefit from our links with inter.

peter varney's influence already bearing dividends ;-)
  • Options
    San Siro?
  • Options
    On Sky1 now (Monday Night)
  • Options
    Watched it last night. From the little I saw of him Ben looked like he has a sweet left foot.

Interesting that he mentioned that he was a Christian and that it was through playing for the Church that somone suggested that he should look to play a better standard of football.

By the way he's definitely not Ethan's son but I haven't yet managed to find out if he's one of his nephews. Ethan does have seven brothers and sisters after all!
  • Options
    Good luck to the lad, some of them looked impressive,friend of my son got to the last six of the Chelsea Icon show but never got picked up by a club, now playing Saturday football, pity good player.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I spoke this morning to Ethan's wife (she teaches at my youngest's school). Ben is actually Ethan's nephew (Matthew's son).

I don't want to spoil it for those who want to follow the series but, if you do want to know how Ben got on and which of the boys actually ended up winning the place, just whisper me and I will be happy to oblige.

Edit: no need to whisper as I forgot that Henry tells all in his opening post. Anyway, despite rumours on other forums, he is training at Watford but has not turned down the place and leaves next week for Inter. Good luck to Ben and perhaps we can nip in and take him on loan if he proves to be that good. He is a left winger after all!!!
  • Options
    Quite enjoyed the first ep of the show. They're obviously trying to do a footy version of X Factor (notice that any sign of emotion or tears gets a good 10 seconds of air time) - unfortunately or the producers, teenage footballers just aren't as emotional creatures as showbiz performers. But it's interesting to see the level of the talent on show. And like the X Factor, there were a fw completely deluded ones, which is always funny.

Does anyone know what happened to the lad who won the Chelsea series, and where he is now?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sam Hurrell is currently playing for Welling ironically where Ben is now (although as I say he is training with Watford before going to sunnier climes next week).

Released after two years at Chelsea, had trials with Orient and Bradford City before signing for St Albans and then moving to Welling.
  • Options
    so ben won but I'm told he got homesick and now training with watford.