Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Catford/Downham/Grove Park pubs

edited October 2009 in Not Sports Related
Went through Grove Park today and saw that the Baring Hall opposite the station has shut down.

Not been in there for about 15 years, but it always was a dive so no great loss. However, it got me thinking of all the pubs in that area that have now gone - and most of them were absolutely huge big boozers too.

The Chinbrook and The Teasel are long gone and are now flats.
The Governor General is now a petrol station.
The Garden Gate was a Maccy D's last time I went past.
The Tigers Head (Squire) and Green Man on Bromley Road are both just sitting there empty and derelict.
Even the Downham Tavern got knocked down and a supermarket built on the site with a much smaller pub at the front.

A lot of these pubs had a bit of a "rep" at one time or another - I guess that's the area for you - but it makes you wonder where people round there go for a quiet sociable cuff these days. Sad really.

Comments

• Options
    The Summerfield in Baring Road is still going and it remains a proper old type pub
  • Options
    We were talking about those very pubs before the game Saturday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Went through Grove Park today and saw that the Baring Hall opposite the station has shut down.

Not been in there for about 15 years, but it always was a dive so no great loss. However, it got me thinking of all the pubs in that area that have now gone - and most of them were absolutely huge big boozers too.

The Chinbrook and The Teasel are long gone and are now flats.
    The Governor General is now a petrol station.
    The Garden Gate was a Maccy D's last time I went past.
    The Tigers Head (Squire) and Green Man on Bromley Road are both just sitting there empty and derelict.
    Even the Downham Tavern got knocked down and a supermarket built on the site with a much smaller pub at the front.

A lot of these pubs had a bit of a "rep" at one time or another - I guess that's the area for you - but it makes you wonder where people round there go for a quiet sociable cuff these days. Sad really.

The Baring actually got firebombed by an punter who had been asked to leave earlier in the day. Landlord and family were asleep upsatairs when it happened thankfully no one got hurt. A lot of the regulars now get in the Beech Tree on London Road Bromley.
  • Options
    Used to have a drink in the Catford Ram, many moons ago. Is it still open?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Used to have a drink in the Catford Ram, many moons ago. Is it still open?

I believe so, one of the few boozers in Catford that is.
  • Options
    It certainly is
  • Options
    I used to live just around the corner from The Catford Ram and yet never set foot in the place until after I moved away.

It looks terrible from the outside but I was amazed how nice it was inside when I eventually ventured in.

No idea what it's like now mind you.
  • Options
    Indeed it was a dive from the outside but not bad inside. I had many a bloody good night in there in my late teens.
  • Options
    most baring drinkers are going the goose in catford at moment
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]The Tigers Head (Squire) and Green Man on Bromley Road
    Massive places these two. Amazed nobody has taken them on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does the kebab house next door to the Tigers Head get much business now?

Guess most of the drinkers head down to Bromley now.
  • Options
    Nolly is back, naolly is back, ello, ello!

Your manor, isn't it nolly?
  • Options
    Used to have a drink in the Catford Ram, many moons ago. Is it still open?
    The Ram is thankfully still going and provides me with an island of peaceful isolation if I'm ever shopping in Catford. I'm not a fan of the Goose and tend to avoid the Wetherspoons, other than that Catford is not a great place for a drink unless you head up the road to the Blythe Hill Tavern.
  • Options
    Is the Black Horse & Harrow still open - anyone know?
  • Options
    Wasn't there another pub on the corner opposite the governor general at one time, long gone now. I went in the downham tavern a few times in the early 80s, wasn't that bad from what I remember of it.
  • Options
    The " King & Queen " on the Mottingham estate is houses.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Is the Black Horse & Harrow still open - anyone know?

Yep,but the "Rising Sun" & "Plough & Harrow" (both opposite The "Motown Bar") have gone......
  • Options
    Im fairly sure the Tigers Head got closed down because of the drug problem there and the Tavern is going pretty much the same way even after its refurb which is a crying shame because its walking distance from me, I might be a bit out of order saying this but I cant think of 1 decent pub around that general area past or present.
  • Options
    yes the blythe is decent pub,always lively when the celts play the gers
  • Options
    Cllr Liam Curran ‏@CllrCurran 2m
    Great news: after many years and many battles the @BaringHallHotel is re-opening on the 21st November. If you spot me there I'll buy you one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great news; that's approximately 3 minutes walk from my house. So I've no excuse not to go.
  • Options
    My old manor as well married a girl from whitefoot terrace used to drink in the governor general think it was called something else before that,it was always a bit lively.For a quieter drink we used to go to the Farwig is that still open?
  • Options
    Total pit at the bottom of Sydenham - plays Jazz from time to time but everyone in there is a tool. Lions Arms or something ?
  • Options

Great news; that's approximately 3 minutes walk from my house. So I've no excuse not to go.

I hope it goes well for the pub, but if I were you I'd get myself down the Prince Fred just off of Plaistow Green. Always used to be a cracking boozer that.
  • Options

TBf you have, because it's shite.
  • Options
    Is the Old Tigers head still there? I bashed out a couple of tunes on stage there many moons ago, not sure theres a blue plaque up commemorating this.
  • Options

Is the Old Tigers head still there? I bashed out a couple of tunes on stage there many moons ago, not sure theres a blue plaque up commemorating this.

Yes, if you're talking about Lee Green. The New Tigers, went years ago.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Yes, if you're talking about Lee Green. The New Tigers, went years ago.
    The New Tigers Head in Lee Green is still there - it's just empty and hasn't been open as a pub for years.

The Tigers Head in Catford near Peter Pan's Pool is now a block of flats.
  • Options
    The Downham Tavern and The Old Tigers Head, both had great rock n roll going on back in the day, as did The Squire.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Total pit at the bottom of Sydenham - plays Jazz from time to time but everyone in there is a tool. Lions Arms or something ?

The pub "at the bottom of Sydenham" (Bell Green) is the Bell.
    Many of the punters in there are spanners.
    ;-)