Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Irwin Post on NA

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
Just goes to prove how downhill that board has gone.

Comments

• Options
    I've just e-mailed Trevor (the Admin) to say the same thing. Thing is the two people involved just love the reaction they are getting even if is killing the board.

Thank gawd for Charlton Life I say.
  • Options
    Can't those two be sent on an open-ended romantic break to Belfast? The interfaces are nice there this time of year.
  • Options
    The thread has been pulled but I agree that NA has gone to the dogs somewhat, it's unfortunate for Trevor and I hate to be disloyal but the amount of petty arguments on there make the place hardly worth bothering with. Here I hope AFKA & Lookout can keep a tighter rein on debate and keep the site on topic and friendly.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more. I know that responding to these people only goes towards giving them the oxygen of publicity that they crave - and sometimes you just have to confront things you disagree with - but the downside (for the board) is that you tend to go on there less often because you just don't need the grief!
  • Options
    There are not many people to whom the phrase "one off" can properly be applied.

Steve Irwin was one in the best sense of the words.

RIP
  • Options
    I would appear that Billybiggot and Hoggy shitstirer have been banned from NA and never allowed to sign up on here. Hats off to both decisions.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I didn't see the thread, but wasn't that the name Hoggy applied to you Henry, or was that Dennis Irwin? Or Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter?

EDIT: Now I've seen the news re: Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The thread has been pulled but I agree that NA has gone to the dogs somewhat, it's unfortunate for Trevor and I hate to be disloyal but the amount of petty arguments on there make the place hardly worth bothering with. Here I hope AFKA & Lookout can keep a tighter rein on debate and keep the site on topic and friendly.

I guess we've said it before, but it's worth repeating. We want this place to be whatever the community wants to make it, but not a place where a couple of "characters" are allowed to dominate to the detriment of others and their ability to "hang out" with other Charlton (and general football) supporters. Of course, we want humourous members, as I for one think that humour is a central part of what makes supporting a football club bearable when all seems hopeless. But not the kinds of characters we've seen on netaddicks. We want to leave that out and think that the first, the forum software we are using makes it difficult to create endless "personalities" on a wind-up, and secondly, the kind of community we have developing (so many list that as a reason for joining, whether or not they hang around and contribute here, or in both places) here will better "police" it's own borders.

But none of us have any desire to displace netaddicks or Trevor or anyone else. We just think we have an opportunity to provide something different and to move the technology on a bit to provide for more interesting, cutting edge Charlton supporting community. I think that netaddicks has the kind of problems it has, largely because of the way the software works. It encourages quick posts, more like an informal chat. There isn't much of a place for information about users, so multiple accounts can be created with relative ease. It's difficult for users to trace other users to try and get a hold on what's goingon. Old discussions can't be easily resurrected. It's proprietary and you only have the control that Rivals gives you. Conversely, you have the tremendous benefit of the entire Rivals network and that is attractive. We won't have that, but we can provide and encourage more stimulating debate and longterm discussion, a close knit and active community through which CAFC supporters can organise (reference, search, bookmark important discussions, share photos, video etc.).

Other Charlton website communities are out there and one or two have been newly revamped and we hope that there is room for all of us.
  • Options
    Denis Irwin....

And billyboy used to call him 'twonk'

All very pre-puberty
  • Options
    But not the kinds of characters we've seen on netaddicks. We want to leave that out and think that the first, the forum software we are using makes it difficult to create endless "personalities" on a wind-up

i think we all agree with that, which is why you must a) set that out as the universally understood posting criteria (as you've done) and b) delete posts/ban members who abuse this site. For me and I know Trevor has a full-time job he allows those kind of spats to go on and that makes NA a pretty boring place at times to visit. Long live Charltonlife, from what I've seen so far it's a great site.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I concur........ sometimes, even though I make sure I dont post in reaction, I read some of the drivel that gets turfed up on NA and it would really wind me up...........i thought that was the whole point this place was set up...... I think it will leave to some much better debates and comment anyway knowing that no knobjockey will turn up just to pissoff the masses!!
  • Options
    Have just been sent my first "Steve Irwin joke e-mail" and I thought it was funny even if no one under 40 would get the joke. I won't spoil it but it featured a charecter from a 60s kids show.

I guess the difference is that is wasn't in poor taste or wishing the guy dead.

Must admit I'm fascinated by how quickly topic jokes get around.
  • Options
    I didn't see any of the Steve Irwin thread on NA, and to be honest by the sound of it I do not want to. However I am told by a friend that knows him that the Billyboy character is 40 years old. surely this isn't true ?? is that the behaviour of a normal 40 year old ??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA_6[/cite] However I am told by a friend that knows him that the Billyboy character is 40 years old. surely this isn't true ?? is that the behaviour of a normal 40 year old ??

I think the key word there is "normal"

Personally- i just want to discuss and debate all things Charlton, not be party to the "thought "processes of a couple of very strange people.