Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ten and half things you never knew about Exeter.

Comments

• Options
    Exeter's sports therapist is Tamer James. He is so good at healing injured players that they nicknamed him St James and named the ground after him.
  • Options
    Half of the people in Exeter are on Es
  • Options
    St Loye was the patron saint of goldsmiths and blacksmiths and his emblem was a horsehoe. This must be lucky because even though i was too pissed to walk in a straight line, I did manage, in the early hours of the morning, to climb up the front of the St Loyes hotel in Exeter and through a bathroom window before delicately falling between the sink and bath on my back. Imagine a world where pubs shut at 11pm and locked out their paying overnight guests!
    My own fault tho, beer goggles and a girl from Cullompton that told me Honiton wasn't the only place famous for lace. Dear me she had lovely doilies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Grecian32[/cite]Exeter has the narrowest street in the world. At its narrowest, it is 25 inches in width.

No one is going to believe that

sorry but I thought that distinction went to Squeezee Belly Alley in Port Isaac (Port Wenn in Doc Martin). FACT.
  • Options
    According to the Guinness Book of Records, the narrowest street in the world is located in Reutlingen, Germany. In reality, it's just a passageway, an exit from a rear courtyard. In the eighteenth century, this district was completely destroyed in a huge fire. To ensure that, in future, fires couldn't spread so easily from house to house, a narrow space was left between them. Measuring just 31cm in width, it quickly went into the record books as the narrowest street in the world, even though it isn't much of a street.

Previously, this record was held by the Parliament Street of Exeter, England, which in my opinion fitted better to the definition of a "street". This 50m long street which links the High Street to Waterbeer Lane and dates back to the 14th century is approximately 1.2m (45 inches) at its widest and less than 0.64m (25 inches) at its narrowest. Formerly it was called the Small Lane before being renamed in 1832.

Appear Squeeze belly Alley is only 18 inches wide but isn't in the Guinness book of records

Well, you learn something everyday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]According to the Guinness Book of Records, the narrowest street in the world is located in Reutlingen, Germany. In reality, it's just a passageway, an exit from a rear courtyard. In the eighteenth century, this district was completely destroyed in a huge fire. To ensure that, in future, fires couldn't spread so easily from house to house, a narrow space was left between them. Measuring just 31cm in width, it quickly went into the record books as the narrowest street in the world, even though it isn't much of a street.

Previously, this record was held by the Parliament Street of Exeter, England, which in my opinion fitted better to the definition of a "street". This 50m long street which links the High Street to Waterbeer Lane and dates back to the 14th century is approximately 1.2m (45 inches) at its widest and less than 0.64m (25 inches) at its narrowest. Formerly it was called the Small Lane before being renamed in 1832.

Appear Squeeze belly Alley is only 18 inches wide but isn't in the Guinness book of records

Well, you learn something everyday.

I haven't seen that on the OS. Until I do I'm not prepared to believe it.
  • Options
    I don't understand the amount of mis-placed trust put into the CAFC OS.

If you had every met any of the people who work there or seen the mess they call an office, well.
  • Options
    During pre-Roman, tribal times, women of that particular area of Devon were encouraged to stay loyal to their husbands by a rule that allowed a man that found his wife in bed with another man to cook and eat his unfaithful wife. As a result, the ancient inhabitants of North Devon became known as the Ex-Eater. Over the years (largely due to the decline in British educational standards) this has become shortned to Exeter. The practice is know officially outlawed, although is still practiced in some of the rougher housing estates and is tolerated by local police as a cheap means of keeping the population down.

Sleeping with your Sister, however, is still perfectly legal.
  • Options
    I heard a similar story about a roving tribe of Anglo-Saxons who settled in the south west and spent their time upsetting the locals. Known as the Eggs because of the number of chickens they kept, they were known to indulge in cannabilism. Often only the bones of a victim would be found after the person had been missing for some days and the village elders would look at them knowingly whilst saying "....The Eggs ate her!....
  • Options
    TV mentalist Uri Geller is Exeter's best known fan and often uses his amazing powers of spoon bending to amusing effects in the Boardroom during away matches. Unfortunately a recent incident involving Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordan, an open necked shirt and a red hot scallop has curtailed Gellers metal based frolics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was told by a character on here that ECFC were the first ever opponents of Brazil - and yes, at football. Mind you, think said character was smashed at the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Boom[/cite]I was told by a character on here that ECFC were the first ever opponents of Brazil - and yes, at football. Mind you, think said character was smashed at the time.

No, I think that might actually be true.

City made an historic tour of South America in 1914, during which time it played 8 matches against teams in Argentina and Brazil. The Brazil national football team is believed to have played its first ever game against City on July 27, at the Laranjeiras stadium, Rio de Janeiro, home of Fluminense Football Club. The result of the match is disputed, with some sources claiming City lost 2-0, whilst others claiming a 3-3draw. That was the last match of the tour, which yielded 5 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats. The only other loss was in a match that kicked off 12 hours after the players got off the boat.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It is true, Exeter City were the first opponents of the Brazil national team in 1914. This was reignited in 2004 to celebrate 100 years of Exeter City. There was also ideas on our forum that the Brazil squad would play us in 2014 to celebrate 100 years of Brazillian football. FACT
  • Options
    Exeter is so named because it used to sit on the end of a train line and the driver would call out "Exit here" and the name stuck.
  • Options
    It can't be true - if it was true it would say FACT at the end.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If you put the 'R' to the front, this is what my nan used to say to her dog at dinner time!

FACT!
  • Options
    Between the years 1968 and 1972 Exeter had an average of 2000 attendance figures. Many of those attending had grey hair and became known as the Grecian 2000's ....
  • Options
    Exeter City council facilities are prohibited from using blue toilet paper in lavatories.

The council leader received an email from a friend in 2005 suggesting that scientists had linked the dyes used in blue toilet paper to a massive rise in the incidence of piles in the developed world. Whilst the study has long since been revealed as incorrect the paragraph outlining the prohibition of blue loo roll has never been removed from the council's facilities management policies.
  • Options
    Will Young starred in Oklahoma whilst at Exeter Uni.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]Exeter fans have a penchant for wearing scarecrow outfits and like to travel to games in tractors or horse drawn carts. Affluent fans cycle or take the bus, some are known to sail in a dinghy. They can't talk as we do because of all the straw in their mouths but if you listen very carefully you can usually comprehend what they are saying. Eg "ooidor" is cider. "fookorff" is....
    My wife has an old Exeter recipe for cider and sausage casserole.
    She's always liked a sausage in cider!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Will Young starred in Oklahoma whilst at Exeter Uni. [quote]

Hence why often turned up late if at all for both his British Politics and Political Theory lectures and got a 2:2 whereas the more erstwhile students like myself got 1sts and 2:1s
  • Options
    According to pagan tradition, a rabid werewolf called Rex would roam the streets after dusk and take a bite out of the ladies of the night. Whenever these ladies went missing wise folk would mutter, "Rex eat her." This happened so frequently the locality was eventually shortened to "Exeter."
  • Options
    Who'd of thought it,will young spending his time in the theatre when other students were playing sports or being sick in the pub.

On the subject of education, Exiled makes the point of men in north Devon running the rule over their wives. Which part of north Devon is exeter exactly or is it yet another example of the decline in educational standards to which you refer to that many people think exeter is in north Devon?
  • Options
    In a survey in 1996 Exeter youth hostel was found to have the largest number of mouldy half-eaten cheese sandwiches rammed behind central heating radiators of all the youth hostels in Devon and Somerset combined.
  • Options
    The current estimate of the population of exeter is .............. 123,500
  • Options
    Chris martin of coldplay fame was born in exeter, I hate coldplay
  • Options
    Chris Martin's parents own a caravan selling business on the outskirts of the city.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Who'd of thought it,will young spending his time in the theatre when other students were playing sports or being sick in the pub.

On the subject of education, Exiled makes the point of men in north Devon running the rule over their wives. Which part of north Devon is exeter exactly or is it yet another example of the decline in educational standards to which you refer to that many people think exeter is in north Devon?[/quote]

Not so much time in the theatre, probably more due to him being what can only be described as a 'manwhore' in the Voltz, Warehouse, Boxes and Boogies down on the quay!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eraserhead78[/cite]Chris martin of coldplay fame was born in exeter, I hate coldplay

No you don't you detest them. don't spend time hating things. especially something as shit e as that.
  • Options
    seems like our mirth attempts have been taken in the right spirit...

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34435