Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My mate Dave

edited September 2009 in Not Sports Related
Before I start, I am not asking people to offer sympathy or anything like that.

Last night my mate was killed playing 5 a side over the Black Lion sports centre, he was nudged into a wall hit his head and was killed.

He went out, said ta-ra to his missus, met his mates because they were short and he said he'd make the numbers up. He went out to play a game of football, with his mates.

It was an accident, these things happen I know but he was the same age as me and a mate. He was fit & healthy and a excellent footballer, the geezer was full of life and a real laugh. He leaves behind his girlfriend with whom he had just moved into his new place with, 3 brothers and 2 sisters as well as the rest of his incredibly large family, Andy (Carlsberg) played in the same side as me & Dave when I was managing them. Although the team were appaling and well below Dave's standards the fella always turned out and played a full 90 giving his all. He would have been 28 tomorrow.

Without a doubt he would not want people blubbing or booing, but he deserves a mention as he was a football man and a fan like all of us. In fact he is probably dancing like a nutter now on his way upstairs loving all the attention.

I will really miss you mate, tears will be shed but when we all think back on the memories the good times and the laughs we will raise several glasses to you. At the moment though it is very raw and the only consolate I can find is you left us doing someting you truly loved.

Rest in peace Dave Winslow, you were taken tragically too early.

Your pal, Dicko

Comments

• Options
    Scary Dicko mate, RIP.
  • Options
    So sorry for your sad loss.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Dave.

Everyone has a mate called Dave. He sounded like a typical normal Dave. How tragic.

All my best to family and friends.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    That's horrible. Can't imagine

RIP Dave
  • Options
    Thank you very much lads, really, really brings home how it can all end in a fraction of a milisecond.

Think of all what we have been moaning about in general, on here, full stop and please spare a thought for Dave & everyone he left behind.

I'm not one for pouring out emotions but this guy was a good mate, and was always on at me to bring him up to Charlton (he was an Arsenal nut) because of the stories I'd told him about the place and the laugh we have up in SE7 and on the aways. Saturday he will be with me in spirit for sure.

Thanks again guys, even if he would be ripping me to shreds for bigging him up like I have I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Good lord Carter old son........that's a truly sad and tragic story........a classic example to us all that your moment to leave is quite simply written in the stars.
    RIP Dave....RIP.
  • Options
    RIP. Saw this on the BBC website, tragic stuff and I feel for all concerned. In a similar way, one of the lads I play 5 a side with told me on Monday evening he had a friend who died whilst playing football, all of a sudden collapsed and died right there, terrible stuff and always sad when you hear things like this
  • Options
    Dicko, hope you are ok mate, rip Dave.

Lovely message tho mate i am sure he would be revelling in that upstairs.

Just goes to show tho, live life now, to the max, and expect the unexpected!!

As i said hope you are ok Dicko.
  • Options
    tragic, rip dave
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm fine mate, like I say it's still very raw and shocking. I think it will really kick me when I go to send him a text or something. Again, thanks a lot guys
  • Options
    A tragic tale, RIP Dave.
  • Options
    Hey Dan, I saw your facebook status update re this-not one of your normal ones have to say.

Horrible when these things happen and I feel for you mate.

Reckon you are seeing in the right way though...

D
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Very sad news. My thoughts go out to Dave's family, yourself and everyone else who came into contact with your friend. He sounds like a one of lifes good guys and a great loss to his friends and of course his family.
  • Options
    Unbelievably tragic.

RIP
  • Options
    The good ones always get taken first mate.

Keep strong. RIP
  • Options
    I read this thread and had a bit of a sit down. Totally feel for you, a tragic loss.
  • Options
    Saw this on BBC news before seeing this post and for some reason thought about the Medway contingent on here.

RIP - Very, very tragic.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]Saw this on BBC news before seeing this post and for some reason thought about the Medway contingent on here.

RIP - Very, very tragic.[/quote]

Same, read it whilst at work. Tragic. RIP.
  • Options
    R.I.P. Sounds tragic. I hope you're O.K. Dicko.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's always terrible to lose a good mate, especially at such a young age. Try to think about the good times you had together. Feel for you and Daves family. R.I.P.
  • Options
    I hope he lived those 28 years to the full. So sad to see someone go before their time.

RIP.
  • Options
    That must have come as a huge shock to all of you.
    What a tragedy I feel for you and his family
  • Options
    deepest sympathies to you and everyone who knew him, im sure it must be very hard for his gf right now so stay strong and be there if you can mate!

RIP Dave truly a great bloke
  • Options
    Also heard this on the news.

Tragic - RIP
  • Options
    That is a truly terrible loss, and to happen in such a tragic way... I've always thought that you don't truly start to grow up until you lose a mate, and if I'm right about that, by the sounds of Dave, a lot of people are growing up today.

Sincere condolences to you, and all of his friends and family. Anyone who has ever played a sport can relate to this tragedy.
  • Options
    Sometime's life is a real bitch. This tragedy really saddens me. God bless and RIP Dave
  • Options
    That is terrible.Makes you think.

Condolences and RIP
  • Options
    tragic news, RIP

(lovely message though mate I wil add.....)
  • Options
    Dreadful news. Sympathies to his family and all that knew him.

RIP