Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Guinness 250th Birthday Party @ The Royal Oak Thurs 24th Sep

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
We would like you all to join us tomorrow evening for the world wide 250 years celibrations for Guinness. This September the brewers of Guinness beer are celebrating 250 years since Arthur Guinness signed the 9000 year lease at St. James's Gate, and what better way to celibrate than with a global party dedicated to the man himself-Arthur's day. The Arthurs's day celibrations will kick off at 17:59 ,a live concert will be broadcasted around the world from the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin. Perfomers include- Kasabian, Razorlight, The Kooks, Tom Jones, The Enemy, David Gray, Calvin Harris, Soul II soul, The Wombats and many more. We have got lots of Guinness goodies to give away and text to win competitions, see you all tomorrow. Look out for other events coming soon. Thanks guys, Danielle and Steve.

Comments

• Options
    Blimey, I know he's lost some of his hair but he don't look that old.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Blimey, I know he's lost some of his hair but he don't look that old.
    Having spent last week in Dublin, I feel like 250.
  • Options
    Do many pubs in England do the "two part pour"?

It's very rare to get a decent pint of Guinness in Blighty.
    In my experience the sign of a good pub is that the first pint of Guinness of the night is thrown down the sink - and the bar staff actually know how to pull a pint of porter properly i.e. the second part should be a "push pour".

I'm thirsty.
  • Options
    Creamy but bland draught Guinness in England is not the same animal as the draught Guinness in Ireland, usually from the pump - bottled "Original" Guinness is probably the nearest for taste and consistancy, and a fine head.

Original Guiness in cans is fine for flavour but a little gassy.
    Draught Guinness in cans, erm ......okay, passes for Diesel.

In my 'umble opinion, of course

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SpicedAddick[/cite]Do many pubs in England do the "two part pour"?

In my experience the sign of a good pub is that the first pint of Guinness of the night is thrown down the sink - and the bar staff actually know how to pull a pint of porter properly i.e. the second part should be a "push pour".

I'm thirsty.

UK bar staff haven't got time for two part pours. After all, it's only £3 odd quid a pint. Just knock it out any old how and there will be plenty to throw down the sink!
  • Options
    Thanks for clearing that up (ish)
    That was a much more eloquent way of how i would describe my only experience of Guinness in England.
    Anyway I love the stout but cant for the life of me see why anyone touches the black piss that they serve over there when you consider the myriad of fantastic ales that you guys have... yum.

SOoo thirsty now.
  • Options
    I take it you live in Ireland, oh Spiced one ... ?

Apart from the "real" Guiness, you must have decent traditional ales too - care to enlighten us?
  • Options
    Yeah I live in Ireland and most of the beer here is mass manufactured fizzy crap full of preservatives.
    The average array of taps in a pub is: Guinness (yum), Smithwicks (the one Irish Ale that's widely available), Budweiser, Carlsberg, Heiniken, Bavaria, and maybe Beck Vier or Paulaner or something. If your in the south of the country there's (or there used to be) a nice one called Killkenny which is a nice half Guinness half ale type.
    There is no culture of beer brewing here at all, there are a few small breweries but there are probably more breweries in any of the counties of England than there are in all of Ireland.
    The majority of people here drink draught lager. Booo

Me? Beer snob? maybe.
  • Options
    Keep up the good work, Spicy. You'll have to find out about the small independent Irish breweries.

Beer snob? Be proud of it!
    If we didn't say our piece, there would be no beer brewed to drink.

Just pissy gassy lager.

;o)
  • Options
    Hello Spicy,

Took me just one single minute to find this. Check it out now, as the song goes:

Linky thingy: Proper Irish beer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cool Maybe I'll start a blog or something.
    There's a place called the Porterhouse as well that has it's own brews which is nice.
    Oddly enough the town I live in had Irelands first International beer festival on the weekend and there were bottled beers from all over europe for a nice treat.

There was also an Irish ale from a Roscommon Brewery that they named after some local ancient king but twas rubbidge!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I love a pint of Kilkenny mmmmmmm & the last time I visted the Porerthouse I have no recollection of how good the ale was......even though I tried most of them .........hic!

The best Guinness you could get in London was in that Waxy place with the tree growing through the middle of it. You walked in and they already had a row of part pulled pints ready to be topped up when you ordered.
    But I'm going back a fair few years & it may have changed or not even be there anymore

Guinness is best drank at home...........in Ireland!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]
    Guinness is best drank at home...........in Ireland!!!!

Your tellin me! I have black poos every Saturday. LOL
  • Options
    Spice, I was in Dublin last week at a wedding. The reception was held in the old school house in Ballsbridge. They had a list of guest real ales from Shephards Neame.
  • Options
    No one does advertising better than Guinness!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SpicedAddick[/cite]Do many pubs in England do the "two part pour"?

I'm thirsty.[/quote]

That's a load of cobblers.

I can't taste any difference when I got to Dublin.

I do not have a drink problem!
  • Options
    Havent Guinness said that since a certain year that the drink is no different in England/Ireland as it is all brewed in the same place?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Havent Guinness said that since a certain year that the drink is no different in England/Ireland as it is all brewed in the same place?

All brewed in Dublin now...

and its not €6.50 per pint over here!!
  • Options
    Well it certainly a different pint over there.

What about Murphys as well?

I find the lager over there so much stronger, just a normal strengh one and im gurning after 3.
  • Options
    Great marketing as has been said. Didnt they say something along the same lines for St Pats Day ?

Was asked a few years back to go and audit a Fit Out of Esso Irelands new offices. Told friends over in Ireland i was coming. Was looking forward to a good Ye-Ha. Then was told i had one day to do the audit ,FFS one Day and report back next day to the Regional FM for Europe and Middle East ---------------BASTARDS. All i saw was the old office,the new office in Leopards Town and the airport. Had just enough time to neck a Gunniess at Dublin airport before last flight back,and to be honest as long as it was abeer was all i cared about in the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SpicedAddick[/cite]Do many pubs in England do the "two part pour"?

I'm thirsty.

That's a load of cobblers.

I can't taste any difference when I got to Dublin.

I do not have a drink problem!

It's not cobblers, the quality of the Guiness varies from pub to pub.

But there are plenty of bars here who serve rubbish Guinness.

[cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Havent Guinness said that since a certain year that the drink is no different in England/Ireland as it is all brewed in the same place?

It's all brewed in Dublin now and the product is probably the same in the british isles, it's how it's treated that makes the difference.
    Also there's the "export" brand Guinness as well... for the african market, this is basically asphalt.
  • Options
    Question: Is all Guinness filtered and pasteurised in the brewery these days - or is there still a traditional unpasteurised version? I haven't been across to Ireland for a few years now.

The quality of beer always varies from pub to pub - lots of factors, whether the pipes are regularly cleaned, the first pint of the day poured away, is there a cellar or what cooling devices are used, for example.

Apart from whether beer is processed and served under gas pressure - or is traditionally brewed, kept properly, and served from cask or pump ......... the landlord, etc is the prime factor.
  • Options
    'are celebrating 250 years since Arthur Guinness signed the 9000 year lease at St. James's Gate'

he was a confident bloke then
  • Options
    I'm going to one of these desginated celebrations tonight in Dublin. Apprantley Tom Jones might be turning up, wtf! The pubs are all trying to get everyone in to raise their glass at 17.59, I wonder how it'll play out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]'are celebrating 250 years since Arthur Guinness signed the 9000 year lease at St. James's Gate'

Guinness makes you live longer .....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]'are celebrating 250 years since Arthur Guinness signed the 9000 year lease at St. James's Gate'

£45 per year, however he didn't sign the lease on 24th Sept, it was on 31st Dec.
  • Options
    They do quite a nice pint of Guinness in the Beehive now in New Eltham and the ale is pretty nice too. Not so bad in there since they gave it a makeover. Anybody know if any pubs around Sidcup are doing the party?
    D
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That some user name you've come up with there, Wipo. ;o)

I've had a tooth extracted today, and because I've got stitches in the hole, I can't bleedin' drink.
    And so I'm missing Guinness night. Grrrr!

PS: Never mind, I'll just have to go to the next one ..... roll on the year 2259 .......
  • Options
    You've stiches in your hole?

I thought that only happened when you laughed too hard.
  • Options
    Why, thank you, Spicy.

Shall I elucidate .... ?
    Or does it needle you that my stitches belong to another, erm .... thread.

Okay, coat .........