Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mcenzie

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Was wondering why he was not on the bench on Saturday, thanks to Chicago Addick who ferreted out this snippet from the internet Mcenzie

Appears he has a hamstring tear, subject to confirmation,anyone know how long it takes for these to repair?

Comments

• Options
    knew when he signed that he was injury prone and a gamble so it seems to be par for the course. Must have happened after Dicko left too otherwise no way would he have gone surely. Maybe Dicko will be recalled if he is gonna be out a while.
  • Options
    Hamstring tear, about 3 weeks if treated correctly according to my physio
  • Options
    Dickson can only be recalled after 28 days.

McKenzie suffered a bad knee injury at the beginning of last season.

Last week he damaged a hamstring.
    Not a related injury at all.

How does that make him 'injury prone' .... ?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The term injury prone has always confused me, is McKensie a clumsy player or does he have brittle bones?

Players are often described as crocked, i.e. one injury which isnt going to heal properly and will repeatedly break down. But injury prone I dont think is right here as you say Oggy its a hamstring tear, which any player can get pretty easily.
  • Options
    I recall Carl Tiler saying that after a long term injury often other niggly injuries occur, due to the body having changed through the inactivity
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I recall Carl Tiler saying that after a long term injury often other niggly injuries occur, due to the body having changed through the inactivity[/quote]

Surely then its all about how the players are brought back to fitness.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I recall Carl Tiler saying that after a long term injury often other niggly injuries occur, due to the body having changed through the inactivity

Surely then its all about how the players are brought back to fitness.

Ask someone with a medical degree, O Level Biology does not qualify me to comment further.
  • Options
    In trying to get fit there is a natural tendency to limit the strain on the injured area. That can have the effect of putting more of a strain on other areas hence other not directly related injuries.
  • Options
    Does it matter?

McKenzie is out for about 3 weeks with one of the most common injuries that all footballers can get.

Before signing for Charlton, he would have had a rigorous medical to thoroughly test the knee that was severely injured.
    It obviously wasn't considered to be a problem by expert medical people, who quite possibly are higher qualified than your O Level Biology, Kap.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Does it matter?

McKenzie is out for about 3 weeks with one of the most common injuries that all footballers can get.

Before signing for Charlton, he would have had a rigorous medical to thoroughly test the knee that was severely injured.
    It obviously wasn't considered to be a problem by expert medical people, who quite possibly are higher qualified than your O Level Biology, Kap.

;o)

It might if Burton and/or McLeod gets injured this week Oggy 'cos, as you say, we can't recall the League 1 goal machine ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Before signing for Charlton, he would have had a rigorous medical to thoroughly test the knee that was severely injured.

I wish I could share your faith Oggy, but with our track record of signing sick-notes I just can't share your optimism about our medical department's competency in this area.

[cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I recall Carl Tiler saying that after a long term injury often other niggly injuries occur, due to the body having changed through the inactivity

This is what did for Matty Holmes in the end - his broken leg healed up okay IIRC, but it was the constant stream of niggly injuries that followed that finally forced him to give up the game.

There could be all sorts of things that affects a players resistance/tendancy to injury - bone make up, muscle structure, gait, posture, weight etc etc etc. None of us are identical and we all have different strenths/weaknesses - that's how evolution works so it stands to reason that some players will be injury prone and others will not, just like some are naturally strong, others naturally fast. Some are also just lucky/unlucky - as with Matty Holmes, wrong place wrong time when that animal Muscat was on the prowl.
  • Options
    Signing players over 30 (even younger, sometimes) always carries a bit of a risk - because these players have played the professional game for already a dozen seasons - so bound to have a bit of career wear and tear, let alone specimen war wounds.

I guess management have to balance up the know-how and experience these veterans can bring to the side, and any physical damage they are carrying can be compensated with the 'young legs' in the team.

Older players also are more prone to stiffer joints and muscle tear, not that they are particularly injury prone - but just not as young as they were, and have to be thorough with their warm up.

Any of us over 30's who are still playing will know just what I mean ......!!!!
  • Options
    Oggy some of us not playing but over 30 still know what you mean
  • Options
    If you accept a holisitic approach to say chiropractorary then the belief, which is often true, that injuries and weaknesses occur because of imbalances elsewhere. All too often in football there is an ignorance in this approach. Hence the years it took for Owen to sort out his hamstring problems which were lower back and posture based, eventually I believe it was a combuination of the Bayern doctor and a famous SAfrican doctor.

A weakness in the knee often places undue pressures on ligaments, tendons and other muscles. I should know as I started off with knee problems which have resulted in frequent ligament and hamstring problems. Most doctor's/podiatrists/chriopractors still struggle to analyse the root of the problem; of which I'm told it's lower back and hip misallignments. Clearly someone like Paul Mortimer was never treated properly, and all too often in the last ten years outside of top football teams it seems to be missed as well. For anyone to say knee injuries and hamstring pulls are not connected, are a bit ignorant of modern approaches and of basic anatomy. What happens when a major knee injury occurs? During recovery the athelete will attempt to improve muscle definition in the gym. Strengthend quadriceps out of balance with the hamstrings integrity are one of the main causes of hamstring injuries.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pretty sure Leon had the same achilles tendon injury as jon fortune in the second half of last season. Wasn't it a hamstring injury fortune picked up just after his comeback when on trial at sheffield united? If so, it supports what kap said.
  • Options
    Wonder if PP will dip into the loan market as a result of LM's injury?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]If you accept a holisitic approach to say chiropractorary then the belief, which is often true, that injuries and weaknesses occur because of imbalances elsewhere. All too often in football there is an ignorance in this approach. Hence the years it took for Owen to sort out his hamstring problems which were lower back and posture based, eventually I believe it was a combuination of the Bayern doctor and a famous SAfrican doctor.

Didn't Reidy have a similar problem - went in for a back op to sort his groin out or something similar, or am I think about Ambrose?

Reidy is certainly an example of a player who seems to have put his injuryu prone past behind him, although losing a bit of weight has doubtlessly helped him.
  • Options
    Perhaps you're thinking of Marcus Bent, who had hamstring problems - but it was his back causing problems....?
  • Options
    He'd know all about inactivity as well the lazy c***t
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

and he nicked my jacket the bsrtsd
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He has strained his hamstring not torn it according to the OS

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=34820&newstype=j
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Wonder if PP will dip into the loan market as a result of LM's injury?

or Burtons broken nose

Don't let Sue Savin hear you say that!!!
  • Options
    McKenzie has been here 3 weeks already without making any impact on the first team.

No doubt we'll cope for a further 3 weeks.

;o)
  • Options
    O/S are now reporting that Mckenzie has a strain and not a tear, Burton confirmed with a broken nose but expected to be fit for Saturday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]O/S are now reporting that Mckenzie has a strain and not a tear, Burton confirmed with a broken nose but expected to be fit for Saturday.

Can you imagine any of us starting a game a week after breaking our nose, let alone going up for a header .... ouch
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]O/S are now reporting that Mckenzie has a strain and not a tear, Burton confirmed with a broken nose but expected to be fit for Saturday.

Can you imagine any of us starting a game a week after breaking our nose, let alone going up for a header .... ouch
    I once played american football with a broken nose and a cracked rib. Then again, I am double hard.
  • Options

I once played american football with a broken nose and a cracked rib. Then again, I am double hard.

Damn, I must be the CL whimp!!
  • Options

Or Very Stupid !
    ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]

Or Very Stupid !
    ;-)
    Yeah - more likely the latter :o)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    hamstring problems can and often are related to knee injuries I understand. In some cases part of the hamstring is used during remedial operations, in other cases part of the patella is used (I've had both ops). Even if not directly related to an operation, some injuries can occur I believe due to weaknesses brought about by other injuries etc.