Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Arnhem

Had a note through my door yesterday to say my elderly neighbours were going away for the weekend to Holland and could we keep an eye on the house.

Thought nothing of it as they often ask and do the same for us until this morning when the penny dropped.

Holland! Bill, my neighbour, was a paratrooper in WWII and dropped into Arnhem, a battle which began on 17th September 1944.

Can't imagine what it was like or what his feelings are going back.

Comments

• Options
    Yep very brave guys... Got an uncle who was a paratrooper at Arnham, he often goes over.... not to many of the old fellas around anymore.
  • Options
    Reminds me of the extras on the Band of Brothers dvd when they revisit Bastogne.
  • Options
    It's Arnhem but fully endorse the sentiments expressed above
  • Options
    Thinking of doing this one Henry with Live by the Sword and Peanutman if you're interested.

Have a Flight Sergeant H's headstone we need to visit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Thinking of doing this one Henry with Live by the Sword and Peanutman if you're interested.

Have a Flight Sergeant H's headstone we need to visit.

Yes, would be well up for that money and time permitting.

When are you thinking of? Can we take in a Dutch footie game at the same time or won't Sgt Major Peanutman's schedule allow? : - )
  • Options
    Not sure at the moment - depends on a pass and how many away games I'm planning. Will keep you in the loop though.
  • Options
    Every year in Arnham and Osterbec there is a big rememberance parade for the Paras. All the local kids turn out put flowers on the graves etc etc.

Band of Brothers yes lets forget about the 8,000 mainly Brits and Polish Paras that didnt come back re Operation Market Garden , lets forget about who also parashuted on D Day and lets forget who did 50% of the para drop in the rhine valley. Hollywood shit.

17th Sept 1973 i started working 16 yo, more than a life time ago.