Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help - Microsoft Outlook

edited September 2009 in Not Sports Related
I am having problems with Microsoft Outlook. I am self employed and receive/send a substantial number of emails. These are archived to the Outlook archive files every few weeks.

I now get messages saying archiving failed saying I have to delete some of my archives as they are full. Firstly I don't want to delete my files as I do need to refer to them from time to time but secondly, when I have tried to delete some it does not let me and comes up "interface error - restart Outlook".

Any ideas? Is there a way i can increase the size of my archive files??

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    1 - On the File menu, click Data File Management.
    2 - Click the data file that you want to compact, and then click Settings.
    3 - Click Compact Now.

Do make sure you save a back up of the relevant .pst file before you do it in case it gets corrupted for whatever reason.

Disclaimer: you do this at your own risk and you cant sue me if you lose all your emails ;-)
  • Options
    Tried that JohnBoy but not worked. It still will not allow me to archive files as it says my Archive file has reached its maximum size.
  • Options
    You may well need to create a new .pst file then in that case.
    If you are just using emails on outlook it should be pretty easy. Problems occur when you start to sync calendars.

Increase the storage capacity of your data file

Whether you can increase the storage capacity of your data file depends on the settings and policies enforced by your administrator. However, you can use a data file in the new Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst) (Personal Folders file (.pst): Data file that stores your messages and other items on your computer. You can assign a .pst file to be the default delivery location for e-mail messages. You can use a .pst to organize and back up items for safekeeping.) format that offers greater storage capacity for items and folders to obtain greater storage capacity from your data file.

There is no automatic way of converting a Microsoft Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders file (.pst) to a Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst) format. The easiest way is to create a new data file in the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst) format and then import items from the old data file to the new Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst).

Create a new data file

On the File menu, point to New, and then click Outlook Data File.
    To create a Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) that offers greater storage capacity for items and folders and supports multilingual Unicode (Unicode: A character encoding standard developed by the Unicode Consortium. By using more than one byte to represent each character, Unicode enables almost all of the written languages in the world to be represented by using a single character set.) data, click OK.
    In the File name box, type a name for the file, and then click OK.
    In the Name box, type a display name for the .pst folder.
    Select any other options you want, and then click OK.
    The name of the folder associated with the data file appears in the Folder List (Folder List: Displays the folders available in your mailbox. To view subfolders, click the plus sign (+) next to the folder. If the Folder List is not visible, on the Go menu, click Folder List.). To view the Folder List, on the Go menu, click Folder List. By default, the folder is named Personal Folders.

Import items to the new data file

On the File menu, click Import and Export.
    Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
    Click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
    In the File to import box, specify the path and file name of the newly created .pst file you want to import.
    Follow the remaining instructions in the Import and Export Wizard.
  • Options
    Thanks JohnBoy. Looks complicated - not sure I fully understand. When I have a free hour I will give it a go.
  • Options
    what version of Microsoft Outlook are you using? older versions had a lower limit on pst (archive) file size
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]what version of Microsoft Outlook are you using? older versions had a lower limit on pst (archive) file size

my version is 2002. Is it possible to increase the pst file size?
  • Options
    not that I know of, you will need to create a new one in the new version and import them into it. However PST files are large and unwieldy so you are better off not having large ones anyway, in favour of having several smaller ones.
  • Options
    Cant you save it to an external hard drive ...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]not that I know of, you will need to create a new one in the new version and import them into it. However PST files are large and unwieldy so you are better off not having large ones anyway, in favour of having several smaller ones.

I'm no computer expert. Is it possible to create a new PST file and re-name the existing one?? How would I do this?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Will do. Thanks for all the tips.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HardyAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]not that I know of, you will need to create a new one in the new version and import them into it. However PST files are large and unwieldy so you are better off not having large ones anyway, in favour of having several smaller ones.

I'm no computer expert. Is it possible to create a new PST file and re-name the existing one?? How would I do this?

yes, whisper me if you're still struggling
  • Options
    In my focused inbox of my hotmail account, I am now seeing items which I had previously moved into folders. I was up to date with my focused inbox prior to today, but now there are items appearing as far back as August. 

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks. 
  • Options
    I think you need to upgrade to the latest version as older versions are no longer supported, the new version MS Office 365 cost about £70 per year.    
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    I think you need to upgrade to the latest version as older versions are no longer supported, the new version MS Office 365 cost about £70 per year.    
    Thanks @Dansk_Red