Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Question for Bookworms

Heard today of a book devoted to the subject of football ground 'Dugouts', i.e those little structures that the 'magic sponge' man bangs his head on as he leaps out to tend to one of his players who's dying on the pitch. Don't know any details but I imagine it's similar to the Simon Inglis type of books on football grounds etc. Anyone heard of it or even read it? Wondered if it's worth putting on the Christmas list along with Sir Lennie's. Oh, I was also told Curbs has written the introduction bit.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
  • Options
    think i reviewed it in the programme.

Curbs did do the forward.

Some good photos from mainly non league.

Nice stocking fillee but not that big or in the league of the inglis books.

If you like inglis try Engineering Archie. Great book o
  • Options
    How does anyone find time to read a book ?

I am halfway through a book i started reading five months ago. I don't think it is physically possible unless you are retired or out of work to read a book unless on holiday.
  • Options
    paper on way to work.
    Book on way home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]How does anyone find time to read a book ?

I am halfway through a book i started reading five months ago. I don't think it is physically possible unless you are retired or out of work to read a book unless on holiday.

I usually have three on the go at any one time. It takes me months to finish though - everytime I pick one up I have to go back of the old ground to remind me where I was.
  • Options
    dont watch rubbish TV, read on the train, stay in baby sitting while wife is at rock choir.
  • Options

Make time you old philistine.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]How does anyone find time to read a book ?

I am halfway through a book i started reading five months ago. I don't think it is physically possible unless you are retired or out of work to read a book unless on holiday.[/quote]

I've returned from holiday on more than one occasion with a matter of pages to go in a book and never picked it back up again. I did manage to finish two on my hols last week though. Second one as the seatbelt sign came on coming into Gatwick.
  • Options
    I read a book once..... green it was.....
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I spend a fair amount of time driving on motorways,AFKA, so a decent book helps pass the time: often miss the slip road if it's a good 'un: e.g 'London Trams Vol 3.'Thanks for the info Henry & Chizz. According to Amazon I should also buy 'Homocide-A Year On The Streets' to accompany it : what's the connection? Drug deals in the dug outs at Dorchester?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Know what you mean March51, I am an airline pilot and I would be bored stupid without a book to read, especially when it is my co pilots break and I have no-one to play cards with.
  • Options
    Posted By: AFKA Bartram : ''How does anyone find time to read a book ?

I am halfway through a book i started reading five months ago. I don't think it is physically possible unless you are retired or out of work to read a book unless on holiday.''

Yes, AFKA, but how many posts do you read on CL in an average week? Probably adds up to several books. OK, there's no coherence or plot. But hey - its quantity not quality that counts, isn't it ???
  • Options
    Ah, used to have one of you chaps living next door, Steve. Told me that when he worked for a charter outfit they'd roll empty wine bottles from the flight deck down the aisle just to worry the punters.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: alberto balsam[/cite]I read a book once..... green it was.....

One lifes great quotes: Brian Glover in Porridge.........................I believe ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: alberto balsam[/cite]I read a book once..... green it was.....

Very good Mr Hislop.
  • Options
    I use to read book after book ....... then I discovered Charlton Life.

:o)
  • Options

Don't you ever go for a sh*t AFKA?
  • Options
    To become a reader, it is necessary that you first become an insomniac. To become an insomniac it is necessary that you first acquire a pile of books that you can't wait to read. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Started reading this new book, "Glue", can't put it down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    Don't you ever go for a sh*t AFKA?

Not one i could read a book in !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Engineering Archie is a great book but too big to read on the train, I'm currently up to Roker Park!
  • Options
    I read a few pages each night rather than watching TV....can't really read on my commute as I ride a Vespa....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]I spend a fair amount of time driving on motorways,AFKA, so a decent book helps pass the time: often miss the slip road if it's a good 'un:

Are you saying that you read whilst driving?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram : ''How does anyone find time to read a book ?

I am halfway through a book i started reading five months ago. I don't think it is physically possible unless you are retired or out of work to read a book unless on holiday.''

I know what you mean but it is logically quite easy. Think of the hours you spend in the pub or watching TV for example.
    The best way to analyse it is to compare how you do things on holiday compared to a week-end at home.
    One difference I'm sure is that you watch less football on holiday.
    You need to cut out one activity to find the time to read a book.
    A book is generally much more rewarding than TV.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]I spend a fair amount of time driving on motorways,AFKA, so a decent book helps pass the time: often miss the slip road if it's a good 'un:

Are you saying that you read whilst driving?
    You mean you never do that?

It's easy. As long as you can steer with your knees and, evey few pages glance up at the road.

Mind you, newspapers are a bit tiresome if the window's open. And doing the crossword or sudoko is a no-no, unless you're on a very straight road.
  • Options
    What I find hard are books in other languages. I'm far from fluent so have to check words in the dictionary and it's hard to look them up and drive at the same time.
  • Options
    I find it hard, when eating a sandwich & drinking coffee,turning the page whilst driving...........
  • Options
    its even harder for me - my books are in braille.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Heard today of a book devoted to the subject of football ground 'Dugouts', i.e those little structures that the 'magic sponge' man bangs his head on as he leaps out to tend to one of his players who's dying on the pitch. Don't know any details but I imagine it's similar to the Simon Inglis type of books on football grounds etc. Anyone heard of it or even read it? Wondered if it's worth putting on the Christmas list along with Sir Lennie's. Oh, I was also told Curbs has written the introduction bit.

I got it bought for me last year along with Roundabouts of Great Britain (Does what it says on the tin). It's not war and peace and wont win the Booker prize but a stocking filler.
  • Options
    Thanks for the review Rodney.