Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trust Gets Half a Million reasons To Go Ahead - 500,000+ Share Donation for Supporters' Trust

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Trust Gets Half a Million reasons To Go Ahead

With the meeting for fans to decide whether to set up a Supporters' Trust taking place tomorrow (Tuesday 15th) one fan has already stepped forward and offered over half a million shares in Charlton Athletic PLC to the Trust, should it be established.

The fan has offered voting control over his shares (a proxy vote) to the Trust if and when it is set up.

As the shareholder said

"Assuming a decision is made to establish the Supporters' Trust (ST), we will grant it voting control in respect of the 524,894 shares that we own.

As I mentioned before, if it were necessary or beneficial to the ST, we would be prepared to go further and actually donate the shares to the ST providing that, in the event of a financial return upon the shares, the net proceeds of that return were donated to a charity (say Demelza House), assuming that the legal advisers to the ST don't see any difficulty with that.

To avoid doubt I would not wish to have any role in or exercise any influence over the ST but I certainly wish to see it succeed.

My reason for doing this is not per se to encourage opposition to or criticism of the current or any future Board. The ST needs to be inclusive and democratic and objectively to voice concerns, criticism and support to the Club as it considers them merited.

My motive is simple. While, in my view, my shares now have limited economic value they can regain meaningful value if they can be combined with significant voting proxies and/or share donations from other shareholders (large and small) with the aim of empowering supporters collectively with a permanent and independent voice with the owners of the Club, whoever they may be.

If that were achieved, in current circumstances I am sure that all who contribute their voting proxies or make share donations to the ST would, like me, consider it a very satisfactory "return" on our shares."

The Supporters' Trust is meeting at the Conservative Club at 51 Charlton Church Lane on Tuesday 15 September at 7.30pm

Well known Kent football Journalist Tony Hudd and former AFC Wimbledon Chairman Kris Stewart as well as a representative from Supporters' Direct (the funded body that overseas 140 such Trusts across the UK) will be answering questions.

All Charlton fans are encouraged to attend and make their views heard on if a Trust should be set up and what the aims of that Trust should be.

Comments

• Options
    Can those of you who use other message board etc please cut and paste this there.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Cue. "Is it....?"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Cue. "Is it....?"

Cue are you going to make it a Sticky.
  • Options
    Whoever the donor shareholder is, I find this offer quite exceptional. At a time when the game of football is becoming besmirched by greed, cheating and 'fans' are again being recruited by organisations of highly dubious repute, something happens which warms the ole cockles again. It's convinced me that I need to get off my backside and actually try to do something positive. Thank you to whoever it is.
  • Options
    Fantastic news. What percentage of the club's shares would that be, if the trust went ahead?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Fantastic news. What percentage of the club's shares would that be, if the trust went ahead?

Still fairly low but as a starting point it is great. There are plenty of other small and some large shareholders out there who might well share the same views.

And the Trust can have my 200 shares as well BTW
  • Options
    As stated before, the trust can have my 400 shares minus 2
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]As stated before, the trust can have my 400 shares minus 2

If you proxy the vote you still own the shares and can withdraw the proxy as and when.

Thanks, every little bit helps.
  • Options
    the Trust can have my 400+ too and I'd sign them over not just a proxy vote. The idea of donating any future profit to a Charity is one I'd wish to see too.
  • Options
    I wouldnt mind some shares in Charlton.
    I still have my certificate years ago when us fans paid a pound to buy Ronnie Moore!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]the Trust can have my 400+ too and I'd sign them over not just a proxy vote. The idea of donating any future profit to a Charity is one I'd wish to see too.

Cheers

Could be an idea to for the Trust to set a Target 1,000,000 but that's that the future.

[cite]Posted By: Debbie[/cite]I wouldnt mind some shares in Charlton.

I can do you 500k if you like. £1 a pop : - )

Seriously you can find some on the internet or if you have a broker s/he will be able to get you some.

Still got my Ronnie certs somewhere as well.
  • Options
    the trust can have my 1000 shares

i lost my ronnie certificate ;-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]the trust can have my 1000 shares

i lost my ronnie certificate ;-(

Cheers

There are estimated to be over 20% of the total shares not owned by the current board so there are a lot out there to be had.
  • Options

what a well written article.

Thanks Paul.
  • Options
    Now on OS but no mention of share donation.

My opinion of the OS has gone right down hill ; - )

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=34776&newstype=f
  • Options
    Ah,but its on the O/S so it must be TRUE.
    FACT.
  • Options
    What an unselfish dignified act of kindness that we don't often see in football, well done that man makes you proud to be an Addick.
  • Options
    Quite an exceptional offer in today's current climate. The person donating (proxying) them has obviously chosen to remain anon and in view of their commitment to the cause and the long term future of the club I hope people respect that decision and we don't get now get a round of wide speculation as to their indentity.

Well played sir...or madam.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's not really a secret (anyone with the accounts could work out who it is) but rather that he and I agreed that it would be better if the focus for now was on the very generous offer and the Trust rather than him and his wife who own the shares.

I quoted what he said to me

My motive is simple. While, in my view, my shares now have limited economic value they can regain meaningful value if they can be combined with significant voting proxies and/or share donations from other shareholders (large and small) with the aim of empowering supporters collectively with a permanent and independent voice with the owners of the Club, whoever they may be.

Because that pretty much summed up what I think the Trust should be about although others will agree or disagree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic offer, it's the Charlton thing to do. Acts like this spell out why this club we all love is so special and so different.
  • Options
    I don't mind putting my Ronnie Moore certificate into the pot if it will help.
  • Options
    thats very generous of peter varney
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]thats very generous of peter varney

It's not Peter.
  • Options
    lol i was just testing ;-)))
  • Options
    anyone with the recent accounts to hand should be able to work out who the person/s responsible are. Havn't got mine here with me in darkest Cornwall but even if I did it seems those concerned want anominity for the time being so that should be respected imo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]lol i was just testing ;-)))

I guessed but someone would take it as gospel and then I'd get another missive from Peter asking me to put you all right : - )
  • Options
    No mention in the accounts of anybody with that size of holding Henry. Apart from Grade's paltry 3,938, the next lowest is White's with 2,110,526.
  • Options
    So how much are Charlton shares worth, if anything? I think they are traded privately so presumably the answer is whatever someone will pay ?
  • Options
    As it says the shares have a very limited financial value but their real worth is the potential influence that they, when combined with others, they could give fans over the running of the club.