Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shock ! Premier League Club Help out.

Nice to see Burnley playing Accrington Stanley tomorrow night at Turf Moor in a Fund Raiser for the Accies.
Burnley had to ask permission from The Premier League, and got the go-ahead.
What next....Man U playing Bury.....?

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]

What next....Man U playing Bury.....?

More like Rochdale playing Bury.

Great gesture by Burnley, though.
  • edited September 2009
    I remember when another Premier League club helped out stuggling Bury by paying all the outstanding fees due on the keeper they had bought upfront rather than over a couple of seasons as scheduled.

I would say who that Premier League club was but Ooah Aah would be straight in making a comparison between now and then so I'll let you guess : - )

But well done Burnley.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I remember when another Premier League club helped out stuggling Bury by paying all the outstanding fees due on the keeper they had bought upfront rather than over a couple of seasons as scheduled.

I would say who that Premier League club was but Ooah Aah would be straight in making a comparison between now and then so I'll let you guess : - )

But well done Burnley.

Priemer League? Thought it was Championship or whatever it was called then.
  • The Club bought him when we were relegated from the Prem and he was part of their Championship winning side in Division 1 as was.

The payments to Bury I think came later (2001) when Bury were in Administration but I could be wrong.
  • edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I remember when another Premier League club helped out stuggling Bury by paying all the outstanding fees due on the keeper they had bought upfront rather than over a couple of seasons as scheduled.

But well done Burnley.

Priemer League? Thought it was Championship or whatever it was called then.
    Division 1, the club won the league that season as well.
  • Burnley are not a "real" Premier League club though, are they? Much to their credit. But they'll learn, no doubt.
  • In my unending quest to find new and moronic ways to waste money, we sponsored players at Accrington Stanley, Livingston FC and Bohemians this year (as well as other clubs not in desperate financial straits). In response to the latest crisis, I was thinking about sponsoring a couple more players for the club as another way to contribute to the cause, but a number of issues are squarely presented about the team's situation that have generally not been raised in coverage of the club's plight.

First, the money needed to cover the tax bill seems to already be available to the club, in the form of a Supporters' Fund, with the condition that the contribution result in equity shares being transferred to the Fund.

Second, the Supporters' Fund has already given the club an interest-free 25,000 pound loan towards paying the tax debt and, yet, it appears the funds were never actually given to Inland Revenue.

The sentiment appears to be that the club should be saved first and questions asked later, but given the circumstances, that seems ridiculous. Shouldn't basic questions like "Is the club's management misappropriating funds?" be asked and answered at the outset?

It won't stop me from throwing more good money after bad, but the whole things seems queer.

Regardless of what the facts are, great gesture by Burnley. Got more than 5,000 out tonight for the hastily arranged friendly.