Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any London Grounds Currently Closed?

My boss (an old-school news hack) knows nothing about football, but he just asked me if there are any London clubs who currently have their grounds closed for 'renovation'. The reason he asked is, one of his contacts believes a footy ground or two is being set up as temporary mortuaries to handle an influx of swine flu-related deaths.

Admittedly, this Holy Moly-loving boss of mine is fond of a breaking story or two - his success rate lessened after he promised us The Sun was going to expose the Eastenders Mitchell brothers as gay lovers - but I was wondering - are there any such grounds?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    I suggest they use The New Den and Selhurst Park as a back up.
  • Yes, very good.
  • edited September 2009
    Given that the government yesterday down-graded the predicted death rate for swine flu I'd suggest you've missed the boat on this story even if it is true.
  • [cite]Posted By: JiMMy 85[/cite]My boss (an old-school news hack) knows nothing about football, but he just asked me if there are any London clubs who currently have their grounds closed for 'renovation'. The reason he asked is, one of his contacts believes a footy ground or two is being set up as temporary mortuaries to handle an influx of swine flu-related deaths.

Admittedly, this Holy Moly-loving boss of mine is fond of a breaking story or two - his success rate lessened after he promised us The Sun was going to expose the Eastenders Mitchell brothers as gay lovers - but I was wondering - are there any such grounds?

In the event of a epidemic and a large number of deaths I think they'd want to use somewhere indoors rather than outside.
  • Fisher and Greenwich borough are both out of action I believe
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Given that the government yesterday down-graded the predicted death rate for swine flu I'd suggest you've missed the boat on this story even if it is true.[/quote]

Hmm... not sure I was running to catch a boat - just seeing if there was any evidence to back up his story with....
  • [/quote]Hmm... not sure I was running to catch a boat - just seeing if there was any evidence to back up his story with....[/quote]

Emergency planners have had things in place like this for years to deal with all sorts of eventualities - did you know for example that your local tennis courts would double up as an overflow kennels in the event of a rabies outbreak? Their business is planning for the worst but doesn't mean it's going to happen. Scare stories in the media along those lines would cause completely unneccessary distress to many.

Nothing new even if it were true, which I doubt as they'd really need to keep the elements off wouldn't they?
  • edited September 2009
    I suppose Highbury, Plough Lane and The Den, Cold Blow Lane are completely destroyed and redeveloped now?

Walthamstow Avenue FC used to play at Green Pond Road or The Pond as it was known, until well into the 1980's, before merging with Leytonstone/Ilford ........ themselves formed as a merging in the late 70's from Leytonstone FC and Ilford FC.

I'm fairly sure there is some sort of evolution pathway which culminated in Redbridge Forest FC, who soon merged also with Dagenham FC to form Dagenham & Redbridge FC, now in the Football League.

All these clubs were once senior amateur outfits who played in the Isthmian League, which was the prestige premier London amateur league up until about 20 years ago.

Oops, meandered a bit off topic yet again .... you're always welcome to ask me, if you need to know something about anything you didn't know you needed to know .... (!)

:o)
  • Once attended a lecture by the Met Police on BCP (Business Continuity Planning) . We where there as Exxon`s BCP was inplace and working and our model could be used by companies who either didnt have one or (as in most cases) hadnt even herd of it. Helps i guess when the company works in places where you defo need emergancy planning. Most companies didnt have shelter areas within their buildings (pre 9/11) or have two sets of comapny files stored/retained off site etc etc etc. Thing was MP went onto discuss certain events the maybe one day might happen.One being a dirty bomb (what the f**k is a clean 1 ?) said all bridges over the thames would be closed, all traffic stopped, trains and undeground stopped. No movement would be allowed. Police would use all means to stop movement ofthe population, including all media being taken down and mobile phones etc etc. I remember thinking what a load of BS, but then came 7/7 and they did take the mobile phone system down and they did move large nubers of people off the streets.
    I guess its highly likely that somewhere there is a plan for mass graves and mass morturies.
  • 7/7 showed that one part of the plan - getting people out of town on boats - worked pretty well.