Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Player power wins - REED OUT, PARDEW NEW MANAGER (8yrs ago today)

Comments

• We may have a chance of staying up now, but it is still unlikely. Pardew has a proven record of getting promotion and getting good players to play better, it is probably a re-build for us and he probably can't turn it round this yar, but I am more confident of him being able to bring us out of the Coca Cola than Reed.
  • ScoSco
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]If he can pick up a Benayoun/Reo Coker/Ashton/Gabbidon/Collins type of player for us this January then we might have a chance.

I'd like the moon on a stick as well, Mr Pardew! Hahaha! The man's got his work cut out, but I have a small sense of belief forming once again. Bye, Les - good man, wrong job.
  • Greetings from Chiang mai all...

Pardew did a good job with Reading, he took West Ham up, got them to the point where last season they were seconds away from winning the FA Cup, and will in time do a good job at Charlton. Hopefully he'll get the players motivated and will ship several in during the transfer window. As an ex-player he knows the set-up and played with Kinsella and maybe also Robson.

It's sad to see Reed go, he did his best but he was a coach not a manager. Murray has made the correct decision.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    It's sad to see Reed go, he did his best but he was a coach not a manager. Murray has made the correct decision.

Well summed up in one sentence, hopefully we can put this behind us now and move on...
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    As an ex-player he knows the set-up and played with Kinsella and maybe also Robson.

It's the other way around. He played with Robson, but was long gone by the time Kinsella arrived.

I'm not being pedantic or anything. I'm just bored shitless.. :)

I totally agree with the rest of the post, and hope that Reed gets himself a coaching gig somewhere else in the near future.
  • Know the feeling, back from church, the first beer of the day opened. Round to parents in an hour or so.

Least my dad as are all of us happy on the CAFC news front!
  • I dont want to put a damp squib on all this but Pardew has got to win the dressing room. Unless that is achieved we have not move forward an inch.
  • gobsmacked dudes! cant believe it, how wierd and wonderful will our game with the whammies be in early feb.

Super super Al,

Should be an excellent atmos on wednesday, lets go and get the win, i am sure the scum players will be happy now they got what they want, i hope they will play like a proper team now, not like the bunch of wasters we have seen in recent weeks.

Poor Les Reed, charlton fan, would be in the stands if he was not head coach, and now look, i hope this dont ruin him as a man and coach alike. I would like to say good luck to Les as i feel for him.
    Oh and merry fooookin crimbo to all you charltonites.

Supers Al's Red and white army
  • [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]I dont want to put a damp squib on all this but Pardew has got to win the dressing room. Unless that is achieved we have not move forward an inch.

Its an important point, bearing in mind reportedly lost the dressing room at his last club
  • I really hope Kinsella in particular, gets kept on.

Not only does he have the steel needed that commands respect, its not right offering someone a job one week then taking it away from them the week after, through circumstances out of their hands...
  • Sponsored links:

• Questions:

What can Pardew do in 48 hours before the Fulham game that Les didn't before the Reading game? - more I hope

What will Pardew do with the back-room staff, not just Robson & Kinsella but all ID's people at the training ground?

Like most of you I'm very pleased with the appointment of Pardew, sorry for Les and hope that Robson & Kinsella stay but would also like to see Peacock back.

But whatever Pardew does we fans have to give him our full support or we won't have a chance.

COME ON YOU ADDICKS
  • I fully agree with your comments lancashire lad. We must all get behind Pardew and, most important of all, actually give him time to come good. He has taken on the virtually impossible task of keeping us in the Premiership, but I believe he will put the club back on a sound footing in the longer term and give us a decent chance of promotion next season.
  • Seven years tonight...
  • WSS said:

Seven years tonight...

And still the most exciting appointment made by the club in my years of knowing CAFC. OK it didn't work out but boy did I believe at the time. Who knows, if that throw-in had rightly been given to us V Fulham instead of a Free-Kick to them it could have been so different.
    Some great memories from that second half of the season, Hughesy's late winner V Villa, the demolition of West Ham, as predicted at the City Addicks night that wasn't by a champagne wielding Chirpy and Boothroyd's late strike against Blackburn. All seems a lot more than 7 (Seven) years ago...
  • He was Charltonised into shitness

No one could fill Curbishleys boots , no matter how exciting he seemed to those who would prefer rent a quote Pardew ......
    SCP was the most exciting managers appointment to me and the nearest thing we've had to Curbs since those halcyon days
  • Hindsight is wonderful isn't it. What were last week's lottery numbers oohaah?

I have to agree with @Riviera. Detest the bloke now, but that Christmas present was one of the most exciting at the time.
  • To be fair to Pardew he did fine that season trying to sort out the car crash left by Reed.
  • It's a funny old game.

I was skeptical about Powell but fully believed that Pardew would save us.
  • Not convinced Pardew is the right man long term.

This guy knew his stuff, does he still post on here ?
  • It went wrong for Pards after relegation from the Prem. Took us a lot closer to suvival than most thought in the Prem. It was mistakes in the transfer market by not cutting the cloth accordingly. He tried the same methods that worked at West Ham but did not work for us. But I must admit I was one of the most patient with Pards until about 4 or 6 weeks before he left. It was only then that I started losing faith in him.
  • Sponsored links:

• I still think it's disgusting how that team stopped playing for Reed. Lost all respect for every single one of them. It was that period that cost us survival.
  • I still think it's disgusting how that team stopped playing for Reed. Lost all respect for every single one of them. It was that period that cost us survival.

I don't think so. How many games was it? Not many. One was against Liverpool which we'd probably have lost anyway and one was in the League Cup against Wycombe I think, proabaly two league games at most. Sacking Dowie too early was the big mistake, maybe his appointment was wrong too but it happened and he should have been given a season.

I must say, you do seem to have a knack of calling these things.

One would have to say that you are possibly in the wrong job?
  • Riviera said:

I still think it's disgusting how that team stopped playing for Reed. Lost all respect for every single one of them. It was that period that cost us survival.

I don't think so. How many games was it? Not many. One was against Liverpool which we'd probably have lost anyway and one was in the League Cup against Wycombe I think, proabaly two league games at most. Sacking Dowie too early was the big mistake, maybe his appointment was wrong too but it happened and he should have been given a season.
    Reading away too
  • Reading 2-0 Charlton
    Charlton 1-1 Everton
    Sheffield U 2-1 Charlton
    Charlton 1-0 Blackburn
    Tottenham 5-1 Charlton
    Charlton 0-3 Liverpool
    Charlton 0-1 Wycombe (LC)
    Middlesbrough 2-0 Charlton
  • I will never Forget that wycombe game. Ever.

I must say, you do seem to have a knack of calling these things.

One would have to say that you are possibly in the wrong job?
    Probably, because I'm rubbish at my day one !

• I will never Forget that wycombe game. Ever.

Dreadful game - what made it worse was our wish of getting Pards came true soon after.

• I had so much hope when he came on board. Made my Christmas. Then the Charlton curse hit. I also think that Fulham game was pivotal.

Wasnt dowie pretty popular amongst the senior players? Could've seen Reed as stabbing him in the back. I've heard from a former millwall player who played non league under Reed said he was a terrible manager and didnt last long because he was crap. Some people are cut out for management, some arent, some are cut out for coaching, some arent. The way it is.