Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Sodje

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
I've only just noticed that he's re-joined us. I really liked him when he was with us on loan. What's the general opinion?

Comments

• Options
    glad he's back, not sure how he might feel just warming the bench though?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: raddickle[/cite]I've only just noticed that he's re-joined us. I really liked him when he was with us on loan. What's the general opinion?

It all depends on whether he stays fit - if so he'll get enough match time and should be a useful addition to the squad and much needed back up to Dailly and Llera. As a character he's the sort we should be signing.
  • Options
    Fine for this league, back up at most if we go up if we wanted to aim for top half. Good to have a player that we know wants to play for us, has a decent attitude and will always put the effort. Adds a bit of pace to the defence, something Dailly and Llera don't have.
  • Options
    Good signing. If anyone thinks that we'll get a total of 92 League games out of Dailly and Llera, well ......

It was vital that we got another central defender. Fair play to the Club for getting Sodje. My Leeds mates rate him as 'quality at this level' after his time with them at the end of last season, and he showed what he could do when we had him on loan previously.

Scoham's right about Sodje's shortcomings at Championship level, but that goes for quite a few of the current squad (although not for quite a few others). Parkinson's task is to get us challenging for promotion through Christmas, then the Board's responsibility is to add to the squad in January so that we have the basis of a decent outfit at Championship level. Sodje might be part of that.

Top of the shopping list in January is a goalscorer though and I do worry what the alternative is once Semedo and Racon get injured (as they will, unfortunately). I suspect that the signing of McKenzie (being a left-sided player) is partly based on giving Parkinson the option to bring Bailey back into the middle if either Semedo or Racon is unavailable. Spring is not the man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Top of the shopping list in January is a goalscorer though and I do worry what the alternative is once Semedo and Racon get injured (as they will, unfortunately). I suspect that the signing of McKenzie (being a left-sided player) is partly based on giving Parkinson the option to bring Bailey back into the middle if either Semedo or Racon is unavailable. Spring is not the man.

Agree about Spring, just doesn't offer enough for me. Dean Sinclair once fit gives us another option, though even if he's a bit better than Spring he's a long way off being able to come in for Racon or Semedo. More likely we'll see Bailey or Shelvey come into the middle of midfield.

McKenzie being able to play left midfield is a big bonus, and as said Holden is basically on a 4 month trial. That gives us a few decent options, even though we don't have a big squad.
  • Options
    Every player should feel competition for their place in the team, and those not starting matches should put the pressure on. Wagstaff may have been a bit of pressure for Sam, and if Lloyd hadn't have responded it should push Wagstaff nearer to a starting place, at least this is how I have been reading Parkinsons moves over this. Sodje comes in and pushes for a starting place in the team, and the other players up their game to keep their place, and of course nothing persuades a manager better than a win!
  • Options
    i'd prefer sodje to play instead of llera .... there's something about llera i'm not confident in, he's a bit too phil chapplesque for my liking
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i'd prefer sodje to play instead of llera .... there's something about llera i'm not confident in, he's a bit too phil chapplesque for my liking

I know what you mean. There is something about him, kind of clumsy, but in a way that means he gets away with clumsy mistakes most of the time. Anyone at Welling remember him slicing the ball at least a couple of times? That sort of mistake could be punished in competitive games.
  • Options
    At this level a 'Phil Chapple' would be a fantastic signing!!! Lets get out of this division before worrying unduely about tier 2.
  • Options
    Clumsy on the deck but dominant in the air. Definitely needs to partner who's more comfortable on the ball who can sweep for him (Fortune for example). Good signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did anyone hear the Sodje interview on BBC London tonight? I missed it and was wondering if he said anything of note.
  • Options
    Bump: Sodje interview .... ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Bump: Sodje interview .... ?

The OS twitter feed said he was being interviewed last night but i missed it. Funnily enough the twitter feed today says that there are 4 camera crews at Sparrows Lane to interview Parky this morning.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Bump: Sodje interview .... ?[/quote]

The OS twitter feed said he was being interviewed last night but i missed it. Funnily enough the twitter feed today says that there are 4 camera crews at Sparrows Lane to interview Parky this morning.[/quote]

Im presuming a few non regular media outlets are there as they have realised we are top of the league
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh for some reason i thought Leeds were?
  • Options
    Really glad he's signed for us for free, much better than Hudson. The thing with Sam Sodje that I was surprised at is that he's got more international caps for Nigeria than appearances for Reading.
  • Options
    that's good news then ....
  • Options
    MOG can I ask why you was on the AllAfrica.com site in the first place? :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]MOG can I ask why you was on the AllAfrica.com site in the first place? :-)

I'll tell you in the Lib tmorrow..........
    ;-)
  • Options
    Sam reminds me a lot about Rufus.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]Sam reminds me a lot about Rufus.[/quote]

Is that cause he liked him?
  • Options
    might have a fiver on sam first goal tomorrow - local boy and probably knows exactly what it means.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    He hasn't really been sent off 14 times for us has he?

That article reads like it was written by a 5 year old.
  • Options
    Yes Mr MOG, I had to read it!

Only $49-99!
    LOL
  • Options
    Don't shoot the messenger.....
    just passing it on...................
    ;-)
  • Options
    "his younger brother, Akpo was incidentally adjudged the third best player."

That's the bit that ticled me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]He hasn't really been sent off 14 times for us has he?

That article reads like it was written by a 5 year old.

Yes and I think 3 of them were for us.