Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grays 2 AFC Wombles 4

Went to the game this afternoon, fantastic support for AFC. My son's mate was playing, John Main, scored two penalties for them. Very tidy team Wimbledon have built, should reach the plays offs. They overun Grays and went 2-0 up then took their foot off the gas and let Grays back in at 2-2. Second half only one team was going to win and the Wombles ran out comfortable winners 4-2.

Player to watch out for, Kenneth Adjie, 21 year old from Ghana. Absolutely ran the midfield, class act. Be very surprised if he doesn't get snapped up by a bigger club soon.

Comments

• Options
    Jon Main's a good non-league striker. . .how many afcw there??
  • Options
    I would guess 1500 - 2000! Great support and sang all game.
  • Options
    Its amazing, the old Wimbledon fc, even when they were at Plough Lane, never used to bring more than 3/400 to The Valley.
  • Options
    I don't think Grays are up to much to be honest. I'd imagine they will miss Jamie Stuart this season. Remarkable rise from the ashes for Wimbledon though.
  • Options
    I went to an AFC Wimbledon game a few weeks ago, they were away to Eastbourne. Went behind the goal and their fans were singing for most of the game (at least the ones where I was were), took a lot of fans to that as well. They lost 1-0 but should have won, dominated at times. Great support like you say, can see how it's really helped them work their way up the leagues and build up the club.

Our ex youth player Sam Long signed for Grays this summer after they had him on loan at the end of last season.
  • Options
    I saw Long play for Grays last season at Eastbourne. He played well. Was a lot better than most on the field.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thought it was STACEY Long that was with us? I went to the Grays game yesterday.Well impressed with AFC.Destined for bigger things without a doubt.
  • Options
    But why didnt these fans support the original Dons like this?
    Not commenting on franchise, just wondering why they didnt travel with the original team etc.
  • Options
    A lot of them did.

Large level of the fans that now travel with them are 20- 25 yrs old and were young when the original wombles were playing away.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Thought it was STACEY Long that was with us? I went to the Grays game yesterday.Well impressed with AFC.Destined for bigger things without a doubt.

Both. Stacy Long did win a pro contract but never made an appearance. Sam Long was released in the summer after 2 years in the u18s, never won a pro deal. Not related as far as I know.