Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Digital Cameras - advice needed

buying a (cheapish) digital camera for nephew for his b'day as he's off to Disney World shortly, want to get a memory card that will roughly take 100 pics, no idea on correct one.

16mb one is a tenner, anyone know how many pics that will take.

I don't have a clue about these things !

Comments

• Not sure off the top of my head but i can imagine that any memory card you buy will be able to take in excess of 100pics
  • Depends on what size the pictures are...you can change the size within the settings of the camera. 16mb will be more than enough for most peoples snap requirements
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Depends on what size the pictures are...you can change the size within the settings of the camera. 16mb will be more than enough for most peoples snap requirements

just normal size pics, nothing fancy at all...he just wants plenty of snaps of Disney !!
  • 2gb or 4gb will be fine. I use 4gb and can take 100s video.
  • Also depends what camera it is... different cameras produce different file sizes. For example, one of my cameras needs 50mb per photo, whereas a compact camera could be as little as 1/2 a mb...
  • Best bit of advice I ever had and ignored was not to buy big cards. They can snarl up big time if you start deleting photos though the camera facilities and recovery of pictures is easy with the right software and someone who knows what they're doing, but costs quite a bit if you get a pro to recover the pictures. Trick is to stop using the card immediately there's an error problem and start with a new card. I was advised to only buy 1 or 2 GB cards and more of them. I had an 8GB card mess up in the USA and although most of the photos were recovered bar 20 or so, it cost me £35.00 to get them put onto disc. With a kid messing about, I'd go for smaller cards and buy two of them for him. You won't need more than 1GB in total. Cheap cards also mess up a lot easier (eg Jessops). It's San Disk or Kingston for me everytime. Much cheaper to buy on-line as well.
  • Double check what your camera takes. 99% take normal SD cards but there's a few like Fuji that have their own (surprisingly high cost) alternative. Basically a 2GB card should suit fine, unless he wants to do video. I'd tend towards one of the name brands mentioned, but don't think I've ever actually had any bad experience to warrant this...
  • just get a couple of 1 or 2 gig cards. they will keep you out of trouble. try online at picstop or amazon and you'll save a 3rd on jessops prices. sandisc sd cards are reliable.
  • I just bought a 10 megapixel AGFA camera and a two pack of 2gb sd cards for a gift it only came to £62 from tesco, the camera is so easy to use and takes great pics and the two sd cards will hold nearly a thousand pics. By the way i got it from Tesco if your interested
  • Definately get a few smaller 1 or 2gb cards. A big advantage is when you've taken pictures you want you can take the card out and keep it safe and use another card. That way if (heaven forbid) camera gets lost or stolen you haven't lost all the pics aswell.

My 4gb card holds over 1300 good resolution pics on a 10 MP camera.
  • Sponsored links:

• i bought my 8 year old a cheap vivitar 4.1mp for £25 from argos and got a 2gb card for £6 from klick photos. results are ok.
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I just bought a 10 megapixel AGFA camera and a two pack of 2gb sd cards for a gift it only came to £62 from tesco, the camera is so easy to use and takes great pics and the two sd cards will hold nearly a thousand pics. By the way i got it from Tesco if your interested
    [cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]i bought my 8 year old a cheap vivitar 4.1mp for £25 from argos and got a 2gb card for £6 from klick photos. results are ok.

cheers everyone, both these sound good, Prince - I think this is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, nephew is 8 as well.