Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swimming?

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
One of Dowie's problems was the "unusual", "left-field" training regimes he emplyed, such as running (and getting lost) prior to a game; playing cricket (not every player was used to having cricket balls aimed at them); and swimming (where players were expected to work hard in the pool - an exercise regime not usually employed by football players - simulating the effort required to help out team-mates towards the end of a match).

So it's a bit worrying to hear that the first team squad are swimming today instead of "proper" training.

Comments

• Options
    Swimming is excellent exercise, low impact, works on the upper and lower body and improves the cardio-vascular system.

We just have to hope that no one drowns...
  • Options
    Said during the game yesterday that Ledley King trained 3 times over the whole of pre-season for 30 minutes a time, the rest of it he spent in the pool doing work, because of his knee injury. He didn't seemed just about as fit as anyone on the pitch yesterday so no complaints from me if thats what we're doing today!
  • Options
    Often players get the Monday off after training, but no doubt they're in today because we've a match against Orient tomorrow.

So instead of training ground work on a hard surface, they're swimming instead - still working their bodies but no pressure on any war wounds.

Also using some other muscles that wouldn't be normally used in football, so improving all round body strength and muscle tone, and still working the cardio-vascular system for fitness.

Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Let's hope we win the toss tomorrow night and attack the shallow end in the first half.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Let's hope we win the toss tomorrow night and attack the shallow end in the first half.

BURTON COULD BE BOOKED FOR DIVING !!

Last season we were sunk without trace .....
  • Options
    If we go down for the third time, we had it.
  • Options
    We played Pool last Saturday, didn't we .... ?
  • Options
    Tuna to start then tomorrow night
  • Options
    Subs will include Spring-board.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Took my little girl swimming to the new Sidcup pool this morning and the whole first team were there, in the gym for about half an hour then all in the pool....thought it funny that they all had on their 'kit' shorts on in the pool.

Didn't speak to any of them as not sure I'd have been able to resist going back to the Millwall debacle...