Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Football Academy

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
right lads, your help is needed. A mate of mine from my ruggers team here in Switzerland told me that his son is 90% sure to have a spot in the Charlton Academy (Lewisham).
And was wondering how safe the place was as his brother in law who lives in England said that Lewisham is a dump and that he would get stabbeb.. obviously I ve been there several times years back an never found it that Ghetto'ish, then again haven't been there in quite a while neither. The kid is half English/Swiss so has some knolwedge of English from his parents. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers

Up the Addicks

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]right lads, your help is needed. A mate of mine from my ruggers team here in Switzerland told me that his son is 90% sure to have a spot in the Charlton Academy (Lewisham).
    And was wondering how safe the place was as his brother in law who lives in England said that Lewisham is a dump and that he would get stabbeb.. obviously I ve been there several times years back an never found it that Ghetto'ish, then again haven't been there in quite a while neither. The kid is half English/Swiss so has some knolwedge of English from his parents. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers

Up the Addicks

If you mate's son has a place in the academy, I'm sure they'll put him up with a family that live close to the training ground in New Eltham. The Charlton Academy doesn't have any sites in Lewisham, as far as I'm aware,coz that's spanner territory.
  • Options
    Not quite sure what you mean by a spot in the Academy (Lewisham).

How old is he and has he been offered a contract or a scholarship?

I would suggest that the family speak to Steve Gritt or one of the other academy staff who deal with the pastoral side and ask about housing, location etc
  • Options
    She mentioned Lewisham and is 90% sure to join an academy connected to Charlton. The kid's about 14yrs old.
  • Options
    Charlton's Academy is (currently) based in New Eltham.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]She mentioned Lewisham and is 90% sure to join an academy connected to Charlton. The kid's about 14yrs old.

Sorry but sounds like this may not be quite what it seems.

All I can say if that IMHO the parents shouldn't listen to a brother in law who thinks everyone in Lewisham gets stabbed but contact the Club direct (ie not through the person in Switzerland offering the place at the Academy) and check that this offer is actually related to Charlton Athletic, if so in what way and what type of pastoral care they offer.

If it was the other way round and my son was being offered an academy place in Berne I'd be doing a hell of a lot of checking up and getting guarantees of accommodation, education, safety, etc.

What I can say is that having seen some of the external inspection reports for our academy they passed with flying colours and in many cases were cited as following best practice.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]She mentioned Lewisham and is 90% sure to join an academy connected to Charlton. The kid's about 14yrs old.

All I can say if that IMHO the parents shouldn't listen to a brother in law who thinks everyone in Lewisham gets stabbed but contact the Club direct (ie not through the person in Switzerland offering the place at the Academy) and check that this offer is actually related to Charlton Athletic, if so in what way and what type of pastoral care they offer.

If it was the other way round and my son was being offered an academy place in Berne I'd be doing a hell of a lot of checking up and getting guarantees of accommodation, education, safety, etc.

What I can say is that having seen some of the external inspection reports for our academy they passed with flying colours and in many cases were cited as following best practice.
    > Thomas is 90% sure of getting a place at Lewisham college football academy who are in partnership with Charlton Athletic... so its not really part of the club is it ?
  • Options
    There are some nice parts of Lewisham --- called Blackheath.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]She mentioned Lewisham and is 90% sure to join an academy connected to Charlton. The kid's about 14yrs old.[/quote]

What I can say is that having seen some of the external inspection reports for our academy they passed with flying colours and in many cases were cited as following best practice.[/quote]> Thomas is 90% sure of getting a place at Lewisham college football academy who are in partnership with Charlton Athletic... so its not really part of the club is it ?[/quote]

Just Googled Lewisham College. see link below for info;

http://www.lewisham.ac.uk/college-life/news/lewisham-college-football-academy-links-with-pro-club
  • Options
    I came across this conversation by chance. The boy mentioned is my son and firstly would like to thank you all for your help! Secondly, I would like to put a few things straight. As HardyAddick mentioned Lewisham College football academy is in partnership with Carlton and the college first team play as the Charlton Athletic Trust, they train and play at the Charlton ground. My son has just started his second year at the Lewisham academy and has made it into the 1st team, hence my interest in Charlton FC!! My son is now 17 and loving every minute of his time in London. As for the security issues my brother had I am happy to report that my son has had no real problems in Lewisham. He has been stopped a couple of times by the police, but that had more to do with the fact that he was with a large group of academy boys going from one college building to another than any trouble in the area. I did speak to Steve Gritt last year when we were trying to sort out accommodation for my son and he was very helpfull, but as my son was not in the Charlton academy there was little he could do. Everything has worked out fantastically for my son and who knows we may see his name in the Charlton programme soon!!!
  • Options
    Interesting, and glad to hear things are working out for your boy.

I struggle to understand at times the links between the Trust and the Club on a football level. I understand fully the community scheme work the Trust undertakes under the name of our club, but i'm less clear on the footballing angle.

Is your son doing some form of qualification and the opportunity to play for a football team (in this case the Charlton Trust team) an offshoot of that ?

Is he doing a specifically football orientated course ?

Is it fully funded or are you having to pay for it ?

be interested in your opinions
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am not sure what Charltons involvement is with the academy apart from giving the academy the possibility to train and play matches at a professional club's ground. The academy also does a week's training with Fulham.

My son is doing a BTEC national diploma in Sport Studies which covers sport in general, but football is the main sport studied. My son is also doing the FA's coaches certificate, which is optional.

The college course is fully funded, we do have to buy his training gear, but we do get part of this money back at the end of the year. For us the main expenses are board and lodgings and travel (he lives in Crawley). It is a strain on our family finances, but we think it's worth it to give our son this shot at becoming a professional footballer, something that would be almost impossible here in Switzerland. I have written close to 60 letters asking for sponsorship for him, but so far no joy! I have not given up hope of finding a kind soul willing to help us though. Let me know if you have any ideas!!!