Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs

Hi guys, I'm a new member. I've been legally allowed to drink for a few months now and I realise I have never been to the pub before being tortured at the Valley. Anyone know the good pubs for pre-match? I'm sure it will make the suffering a little easier. But Wycombe? Surely a win there?

Comments

• Options
    The weathers supposed to be good this weekend so why don't you have a nice relaxing sea of alcohol by the Thames at the Anchor.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AndyPandy_CAFC[/cite]Hi guys, I'm a new member. I've been legally allowed to drink for a few months now and I realise I have never been to the pub before being tortured at the Valley. Anyone know the good pubs for pre-match? I'm sure it will make the suffering a little easier. But Wycombe? Surely a win there?

The Horse & Groom or the Watermans Arms will be OK

;-)
  • Options
    Or the Victoria along the Woolwich rd.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AndyPandy_CAFC[/cite]Hi guys, I'm a new member. I've been legally allowed to drink for a few months now and I realise I have never been to the pub before being tortured at the Valley. Anyone know the good pubs for pre-match? I'm sure it will make the suffering a little easier. But Wycombe? Surely a win there?

You have had to watch the last few seasons sober? Poor chap .................
  • Options
    Andy....strange user name for someone so young..........most folk of your age would never have heard of Andy Pandy yet alone identify in any way?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Andy....strange user name for someone so young..........most folk of your age would never have heard of Andy Pandy yet alone identify in any way?

Aha....................the conspiracy theory begins
  • Options
    Actually thats my fault that he's called AndyPandy. He's my cousin and i've been calling him Andy Pandy since he was a baby.

No conspiracy theories necessary
  • Options
    Welcome AP, give the Oak a try, and then lets us know what it was like !
  • Options
    Bah, spoilsport.
  • Options
    there is not a better pub nearer the Valley than the British Oak at Blackheath Standard - not near trains really but well connected for buses - allow 25 minutes walk to get to your seat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where is everyone heading then tomorrow usual folks or some heading for the oak
  • Options
    im heading for the Swan for some weird unknown reason as i have never drank in there before.

Anchor after if hot and sunny.
  • Options
    Well thank god Charlton do not play near Bexley village all the pubs are over 21 most over 25..... with your grandparents present I assume.
    Went into the george and the cheeky git of a barman 19 said it for over 21s.. at lunchtime, with a meal with me present, afraid I got the regional office to change this silly nonsense,
    Regional director thought it was illegal despite the little cozy arrangement with the others in the scheme.
    christ what next pubs for the over 30s...... ( and yes he did have his driving licence with him and he is 21 in 4 weeks).

What is the point of having a law if every two bit council wants to have there own law......

Obviously you can vote, get killed, bet, but not buy a drink with your old man
  • Options
    Liberal Club mate
  • Options
    ken.. did you have much to drink with your lunch? your post doesnt make sense.
  • Options
    Went into the pub, ordered a burger with chips and two pints, first drink of the day........

Only other punters in there were postman, I have been using the pub for over 30 years, never been denied a drink in my life.
    What was even more galling this was one of my locals I live in the same road as this pub, and my mates son is a barman in there when at Uni!

I do not want a pub full of baseball hat wearing chavs being loud, pissed up and generally being anti social.( I can go to Bexleyheath for that)

So PC Eddie Newton how does this encourage sensible drinking, refused a beer with a meal! This is really going to sort out the underage drink issue in Bexley, I think not!

I might add that this pub is not alone in this 'scheme', but the other pubs use a little bit of common sense depending on the time of day etc.
    A landlord/ licencee normally has to have a decent reason for refusal, i.e. you are drunk, or likely to cause an affray, become violent.
  • Options
    Harsh coming to the Valley without any beer especially last season when i became legal to drink we was in the prem.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Drove from Lee to Lewisham today and passed a pub that has been there donkeys but must have changed its name lately. Its now caller the Dirty South and looks like its alive music venue. cant for the life of me remeber its old name though ? Rose of Lee maybe ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Drove from Lee to Lewisham today and passed a pub that has been there donkeys but must have changed its name lately. Its now caller the Dirty South and looks like its alive music venue. cant for the life of me remeber its old name though ? Rose of Lee maybe ?

Dunno what it used to be called, but when my parents owned a cab firm on lee high road years ago (JP Cars) that place was always trouble.

It's been the Dirty South for quite a while now, decent little rock pub.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Drove from Lee to Lewisham today and passed a pub that has been there donkeys but must have changed its name lately. Its now caller the Dirty South and looks like its alive music venue. cant for the life of me remeber its old name though ? Rose of Lee maybe ?

It was the Rose Of Lee, then the Hobgoblin, big live music pub now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It was indeed the Rose Of Lee. Think it's a bit of punk/heavy metal venue now.
  • Options
    The Dirty South is a great bar, as long as no one spills beer on you. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]The Dirty South is a great bar, as long as no one spills beer on you. ;-)

ALL OVER MY JACKET.

Although that night ended up very well for me ;-)
  • Options
    I was in the Trafalgar Tavern last night, I got charged £13+ for two pints of shandy. When I asked for a VAT receipt they squirmed, I've never heard so many bs excuses. When I explained that I was essentially buying one pint of beer and one pint of lemonade they generously provided me with a £2 refund. I got the feeling that they were being very slippery, anyone else been in there recently?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I was in the Trafalgar Tavern last night, I got charged £13+ for two pints of shandy. When I asked for a VAT receipt they squirmed, I've never heard so many bs excuses. When I explained that I was essentially buying one pint of beer and one pint of lemonade they generously provided me with a £2 refund. I got the feeling that they were being very slippery, anyone else been in there recently?
    You didn't buy a pint of lager and a pint of lemonade though.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    If you ask them for a VAT receipt they are legally obliged to provide one. It can be a less detailed receipt, but they still have to comply.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    it's always been very expensive due to location. sounds like they charge 6.50 a pint. knocked of a quid after you complained to make it £5.50 a shandy. I don't drink shandy so i don't know if its normally a pound less? 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Drove from Lee to Lewisham today and passed a pub that has been there donkeys but must have changed its name lately. Its now caller the Dirty South and looks like its alive music venue. cant for the life of me remeber its old name though ? Rose of Lee maybe ?
    Rose of Lee originally also called Sports for a while then changed it's name to The Hobgoblin (owned by Wychwood....decent beer), mother in law used to live around the corner as did the wife when I first met her had plenty of good nights in there.
  • Options
    Does anyone know a pub around Charlton with a dart board? I know that the British Oak has one, but it's out of action because apparently the owner doesn't like people using it!
  • Options
    Does anyone know a pub around Charlton with a dart board? I know that the British Oak has one, but it's out of action because apparently the owner doesn't like people using it!
    Royal Oak has one, but not used on match days.
    Do you mean on match days?