Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do you tip delivery drivers? (2009 thread)

edited March 2021 in General Charlton
Just started using the tesco sevice.Not sure of the etiquette.Bit of an unusual silence after my last set of goods were delivered before the driver set off empty handed.

Comments

• It's all down to personal choice. I would judge it on how helpful and friendly they are. If they carried it to my kitchen and start cooking it I would probably give them a quid.
  • I have always ponndered this one and never done it on the one time i tried - since then i have gone back to normal shopping maybe we we should be tipping after all!
  • Why not. Every little helps
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Just started using the tesco sevice.Not sure of the etiquette.Bit of an unusual silence after my last set of goods were delivered before the driver set off empty handed.

I don't use them but I wouldn't tip them unless it was a huge shop and Christmas. The whole tipping thing in the UK is going the way of the States. I even felt obliged to tip the hairdresser the other day and she owns the place and probably earns more than I do. When you go the post office and they sell you some stamps you don't tell them to keep the change but you get 'evils' from the staff in Starbucks if you don't stick the 5p in their little pot on the counter. General rule for me is that if someone's gone out of their way for you or provided a decent level of service in a restaurant then fine but not for just doing exactly what he's paid for as in this case.
  • edited August 2009
    Nearly became one of these drivers: they're on around £6.60 an hour and work long shifts, the late one finishes abut 11.00 p.m. They're out and about in all weathers, often slogging up flights of stairs etc. There are some perks, like discounts on weekly shopping, up to an annual limit of £700 (I think) , subsidised meals, and once out on the road you're your own boss for working out routes etc. The shifts are 'rolling' so they work at least one Saturday and Sunday in three.with one day off in the week . And Tesco make sure you work for the wages! If I had taken the job I'm sure I'd have appreciated the price of a pint from a customer and I would make sure they got the shopping promptly the next time.
  • Have been doing my weekly shopping online for some time now, have never been made to feel like I should tip the driver nor have any of my friends. My next door neighbor was using Tesco's but has stopped using them as the delivery driver maintains he slipped on a leaf and injured himself and they are being sued by him as they failed to ensure that the access to their property was safe.
  • We do, Sainsbury's deliver our shopping and the guys are all helpful and polite, I always give them a couple of pounds for a beer.
  • My girlfriend drives those vans for ASDA and gets pretty pissed off when people don't tip, then again I can't imagine her making anyone feel uncomfortable about not tipping, she'd much rather just winge to me about it.

Then again she's a tight dirty northerner, so her opinion don't really count for much.
  • Depends on their attitude when you answer the door, some we have, some we have not, all I will say is that EVERYTIME we have used ASDA/Tesco/Sainsburys delivery, the order is never ever correct, maybe only a small item missing or replaced with an alternative, but never correct, bloody infuriating.
  • You lazy feckers! Get yourself down there yourselves!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]You lazy feckers! Get yourself down there yourselves!!!

LOL....We stopped using it ages ago
  • Never used them but as a matter of course I only tip someone if they go beyond their job to help me. It is up to the employer to pay a decent wage and by tipping you are encouraging low pay, look at supermarket profits and ask whether you should be subsidising the profits by helping them keep the pay low by adding a tip, unless as I have already said the person goes beyond their normal job to help you.
  • This automatic tipping is for the fking birds.

st_scream5_250.jpg
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]This automatic tipping is for the fking birds.

st_scream5_250.jpg

Liking your work, great scene.
  • I generally don't tip outside of restaurants, hairdressers and cabs. They're the three that seem normal to tip on for me.

i honestly hadn't thought about tipping the delivery driver.

I noticed a few years ago, about the same time a little man turned up in the toilets to turn the tap on and hand you a paper towel, that a lot of the bars & pubs around London started to give your change on tip trays so i started taking the tip trays with my change.
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]I generally don't tip outside of restaurants, hairdressers and cabs. They're the three that seem normal to tip on for me.

i honestly hadn't thought about tipping the delivery driver.

I noticed a few years ago, about the same time a little man turned up in the toilets to turn the tap on and hand you a paper towel, that a lot of the bars & pubs around London started to give your change on tip trays so i started taking the tip trays with my change.

Sharm El Sheikh Airport, they try to sell you single sheets of loo paper
  • Yes if they have to put plenty of effort into it and do it pleasently. But if you live in a terrace house.... gees what is their job? They can moan but I'd like to see them do a multi-drop for one of the plc delivery companies. Do you tip them? Doubt if they bother.

Occasionally tip hairdressers. No problem with tipping, if the service is there. Hate it in the states where you have to, but don't mind in a decent state side bar as you actually get service and don't have to act like a shoving numpty in a Brit pub.
  • If it's the same delivery guy all the time, then I'd give them a tenner at Christmas.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]Then again she's a tight dirty northerner
    Sounds perfect - tight and dirty. Well, apart from the 'Northerner' bit, obviously.
  • i dont have home shopping but as a rule i would tip for good helpful service. i always tip take-away drivers for a curry or pizza so why not tesco's. i used to deliver pizza's as a student (also had two kids and a mortgage at the time) and on average got tips about half the time. some would tip £2.00 (hardly ever) but the average person would be about 50p. you wouldnt believe my face when they'd given me a tenner for an order of £9.95 and said 'you can keep the change'. i really felt like saying 'no it's ok, you need it more than me' 'why dont you try and squeeze it up your tight a##e.' i mean come on, nothing is better than 5p!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably just me, but I always give Rackhams,Potts & Wards,etc, drivers acouple of quid for deliving the carpets to us.
    Mostly they look amazed: apparently not many people give the drivers "a drink".
    Begrudge giving £2 to Rod (The Valley Carpets driver) as he's a spanner...........
  • And should you tip the curry/ pizza/ chinese delivery bod on sat nite.?

I usually give them a couple of quid
  • My missus used Iceland once, some old boy knocked on the door and asked "is your husband going to give me hand as its your shopping" I put on my poshiest voice and told him to "feck off"
    Its never happened since we've been using Harrods home delivery, and often chuck the odd £20 in the drivers direction ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]And should you tip the curry/ pizza/ chinese delivery bod on sat nite.?

I do, I'm afraid they'll wank into my biriyani next time, if I don't. Fear tipping.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]And should you tip the curry/ pizza/ chinese delivery bod on sat nite.?

I do, I'm afraid they'll wank into my biriyani next time, if I don't. Fear tipping.

Lol, lol, lol, I am having a bad day in the office but this comment has made it all worth while, thanks for putting a smile on my face :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]Then again she's a tight dirty northerner
    Sounds perfect - tight and dirty. Well, apart from the 'Northerner' bit, obviously.

2 out of 3 ain't too bad I guess ;-)
    [cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]And should you tip the curry/ pizza/ chinese delivery bod on sat nite.?

PMSL McLovin :0)
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]And should you tip the curry/ pizza/ chinese delivery bod on sat nite.?

A must.
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]I generally don't tip outside of restaurants, hairdressers and cabs. They're the three that seem normal to tip on for me.
    i honestly hadn't thought about tipping the delivery driver either.

I'm with you there!(paragraph in bold) Though its a really short journey from the supermarket to my house, I don't tip the cab driver, as it costs £6 bloody quid anyway. Though I will give a little something if they help with the bags.

I had a TV delivered the other day from Tesco, never crossed my mind to tip.

Always tip the take-away delivery drivers(usually order from the same places), amount usually depends on the speed of service & time of the month, in terms of cash flow though.(though I appreciate the arrival time may be out of their hands at certain points)

I work in a pair/micro chain of drum & guitar shops, & can sometimes spend hours helping customers with their decisions over things & demonstrations of instruments in order to get them the best that they need. I work hard, & pride myself on helping/advising to the best standards possible, as its a great place to work(which I consider pretty lucky, in terms of working life, & don't take for granted).
    I don't expect, or want a tip, nor have I been offered one. I also don't work on commission.

I was a bingo caller for a few years some years back, & big winners would usually give tips. Those, I was very happy to recieve! Given some of the heartless, negligent, social retards that I encountered in attendance at some of the halls I worked in, I felt justified.

The growing number of bloody toilet 'maitre des' that I encountered, in various clubs over the years, then, extremely annoyingly, infiltated some pubs(mainly in central London). A tip for handing you a paper towel is simply ridiculous. I just igore them & use the venues own facilities, as I always would & still do.
    50p for a stick of gum a squirt of the fancy stuff & a paper towel might be fair, if there was the potential of a blossoming with the fairer sex in the offing.
  • freshen up dudes do my head in!!!! constant its like there begging, should not be legal- although i do still occasionally tip them just to stop that evil u get if you dont

altho agree with alot of u restaurants, taxis & haardressers i tip if service is good. but sumtimes go out with friends who wont tip so i feel obliged to :-P