Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Quick question - why "Nigels"?

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
Being an isolated Addick from deepest, darkest Sussex I seem to have missed out on some Charlton terminology.

So, why are Palace fans called Nigels, and is it just by us, or a more widely known insult?

Thanks,

Cipo

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited August 2009
    2008-05-08-2151-03.jpg
  • Wasnt dopey Nigel in eastenders years ago a Palace fan?
  • edited August 2009
    Costhe name 'Nigel', in the eighties, was synonomous with naffness. Its also, as far back as I can remember, a name that's always been associated with Croydon, for some reason.

Funnily enough, I used to work with a geezer called Nigel a few years back - he was a Palace fan, but was a top, top bloke - as far away from the typical Palace nob-end as its possible to get.
  • Met a very brave Elvis tribute artist on Sunday, who stood in a pub in Welling full of Charlton lads and told us he was Palace.
  • Doesn't spotty Nigel sum up most of the Palarse fans you know?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite][img]http://www.cpfc.org/g2/d/96021-1/2008-05-08-2151-03.jpg[/img][/quote]

Isn't that Tim Flowers in the background? LOL
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Wasnt dopey Nigel in eastenders years ago a Palace fan?

Think it was millwall fans who coined it after the curly haired wonder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/images/characters_cast/characters/nigel_b/nigel_bates_large_1.jpg
  • Thanks chaps - I knew that you could sort out this gap in my education!
  • there is nothing the folk of this site cant solve Cipollini.
  • I always thought it was because of XTC's Making Plans For Nigel. Which conjures up images of a guy who is a bit of a dill and a mummy's boy. Perfect.
  • Sponsored links:

• There was a clash of the Nigels earlier in the week. Pearson's mob did Adkin's eleven.
  • I always thought it was because of XTC's Making Plans For Nigel. Which conjures up images of a guy who is a bit of a dill and a mummy's boy. Perfect.
    Ha ha, I always think the same when it comes on the radio.

• you're not Mario Cipollini are you?
  • i thought it was slang, bit like anorak. a geek. in nigels case a geek who is a mummys little spoilt boy.
  • Also, the sound you make when you hold your nose and say 'nigel' sounds just like most of their fans when they are comparing train numbers
  • I thought it started by Millwall and was abbreviated from "stripey Nigels" - a reference to their patsy fan base in "posh" Surrey as compared to "hard" Bermondsey,
  • nigel likes nice bland unchallenging pop music. lol.
  • Back in 1980, some of the Charlton crew were making 'plans' with Palarse (copyright Big Brian Cole) and XTC turned this into a big hit song.
    ''We're only making plans for Nigel''
    And so the name stuck.
    That really does some them up in one picture . Briiliant.