Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone been to tuscany?

edited August 2009 in Not Sports Related
Thinking of going there in October.Not sure whether to stay in Florence or out in the sticks a bit more.In fact i don't know a lot about the place full stop.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Pisa and Lucca are really nice. We stayed here http://www.clubipini.com/ which is on the coast but only 15 miles from Pisa airport and you could do the day trips if you wanted.
  • Options
    Florence is worth a couple of days of anyone's time, but being a small city it can get crowded, but going in October the queues for the main tourist attractions will be that much shorter.

However if you are going to go all that way it's worth travelling around the region a bit. Pisa is reachable by train and you can get there and back in a day and have enough time to see the City and leaning tower etc.

Siena is a great place too - great architecture etc and again you can do Florence and back in a day with a few hours for the city. Lucca is a lovely city and again it's accessible from Florence by train.

The problem is getting to some of the smaller villages/towns which aren't on the train routes (San Gim for example) which means either bus journeys or hiring a car.

In Florence - keep all your money under lock and key - the pick-pockets are suposed to be world class and with lots of rich tourists they get plenty of practice.
  • Options
    Cheers for the info.Is it VERY expensive out there?
  • Options
    Greve in Chianti - do it
  • Options
    A friend of mine got married in Sienna a couple of years ago, my mates and I took a tent each and back packed it down there taking in Genoa, Chinco Tierra, Rapallo, Pisa, Sienna (and surrounding countryside) Florence, Sateano (in Chianti) and then back up to Bologna and Milan before heading back to Genoa.

I can honestly say that Tuscany is a phenomenal part of the world, well worth the visit. Although it was a couple of years ago (Pre-Euro) I found prices quite reasonable although it is difficult to not get carried away with your spending. As we were backpacking we were relying on public transport all of the time but the best way to get around and out into the country side is to hire a car.

Florence is pricey and you'll need a couple of days to see the place but I would recommend travelling around a bit as Sienna and Pisa are so close by.
  • Options
    Really nice area Carly a good holiday choice. Spent some time in a villa near Florence which is a lush city. Try not to stay too far in sticks as you may be driving everywere and roads werent great
  • Options
    Sienna and Cortina nice places to stay.
    Pisa is easy to do in an afternoon
  • Options
    If you are celebrating something and fancy a really good meal try the Casa Antinori in Florence. The food is probably some of the best Italian I have ever eaten.

As the restaurant belongs to the owner of an excellent vinyard the wine selection is also excellent.

We have stayed in both Florence and Montecattini Terme and enjoyed both. Florence can be a little touristy depending on when you go, but Montecattini is an old Italian spa town. It was almost like being transported back in time to the 40s or 50s.
  • Options
    Tuscany is fantastic , went in September , stayed outside Florence and got the train in for one day , the countryside is the best I've ever seen.............mind you I've only ever been to Dymchurch for my holidays before
  • Options
    I forgot to mention this:

Try to find an Agritourismo to stay in. Try: http://www.agriturismo.net/ or http://www.agriturismo.com/?l=eng

To qualify as an Agritourismo the hotel has to use at least 75% own produce. The result is that you often get Mama in the kitchen cooking the meals with fresh home produce. The results are absolutely delicious and usually a home-cooked 5-course meal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Thinking of going there in October.Not sure whether to stay in Florence or out in the sticks a bit more.In fact i don't know a lot about the place full stop.

Any help appreciated
    stayed in the rolling hills of tuscany absolutely beautiful, great wine, food and place to relax. I suggest stay somewhere in the middle so you can go to the different towns. Golf courses are not bad either. try this out if you are going in a group of 2 or more > http://www.interhome.co.uk/Home.aspx?lCode=EN-GB I ve used them several times the service and house are top notch.

Enjoy
  • Options
    I've visited a number of times and never been let down by the weather, people, food or wine. I avoided the major towns and cities as I was on holiday and always went to small villas and hotels in the middle of nowhere.

Broke with tradition a couple of years back and went to Umbria (next door) which was similar but more rugged in all ways - food (very gamey), wine (heavy but good) and countryside (steeper). However, still had a great time.

Was always cheaper than the more Northern parts of Europe so I imagine it still is.

Making me jealous no; Cornwall and Devon for me this year - albeit in a 1972 VW camper van ;-)