Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our Support post Premiership

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
It seems we will have around 9,500 ST's so a regular base of around 10-11k., with reasonable 3rd tier results.

Given that a generation have grown up with a reasonably successful club to support, I was wondering why we haven't grown our supporter base further.
Was marketing Charlton as a place to see Premiership football a mistake.

Comments

• If we hadn't previously been in the prem for 7 years there's no way we'd attract 9000+ ST holders for tier 3 football.

You also have to consider the economic climate, the fact that non STs can easily 'pay at the gate' on matchday etc.
  • its difficult.

We have no real, determined catchment area. We are largely reliant on it being passed through families, or kids getting into it (and more importantly sticking with it) through local school visits, and through the community programme.

Most kids in nearby areas will follow a big club, and if they fancy themselves as a junior geezer, will follow Millwall.

Success on the pitch breeds support better than anything else. If we don't get that, there is a pretty good chance our support could become marginalised.
  • I think the core will be represented by the attandance rather than the ST sales, as Nottsaddick says the econimic climate has hit a lot of us, I will attend games on a macth by match basis for that reason and a friend of mine has heard through the grapevine that he has only just missed redundancy by the skin of his teeth but he is now at the head of the next hit list, so he is holding back on his up front costs.

Don't forget prior to the Prem we were significantly below the 9,500 mark for ST's and still managed to fill the various capacities as the Valley expanded. Also, taking into account the poor perfroances of the last 4 seasons, the increased avaialibility for turning up on the day and the poor maangeemnt of the fans by the club over the summer 9,500 sounds pretty good to me. My prediction was 7,500, if we do start to compete and play attractive football then I can see a half season ST adding 2-3,000 to that figure.
  • Does anyone (Airman) now what the ST figure is now?
  • Our crowds were a lot smaller last time we were in Division 3 -- 0r Div 2, come to that -- so the Prem years do seem to have built up the support. The big question is how brittle much of the new support will prove to be. We've mislaid the flakiest elements of the Prem-based support but how much more will fall away, and how quickly, while we stay in the lower divisions? My guess is that our support hasn't bottomed out yet.
  • 5,000 at home for a not far appealing pre season game is a sign of a pretty solid support base
  • Sad to say it but i knew 7 people who all supported other clubs but had a S/T to watch us in the premier league. All bar one jumped ship after we got relegated and the remaining one saw about 10 home games in the championship (1st season) and as far as i know hasn't been back since. Can't really blame him, it's definately been a labour of love these last 4 seasons.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Does anyone (Airman) now what the ST figure is now?

About 9,250.
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Does anyone (Airman) now what the ST figure is now?

About 9,250.

Cheers.

I'm still waiting for the big "wow" factor to boost the sales as somehow Tim Breacker wasn't it
  • I spoke to a Watford fan friend and he reckons 9,000 season tickets is excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• With 9000+ season ticket holders I reckon the gates will be between 12,000 and 15,000 depending on time of kick off and time of year. Theres probably loads of folk like me who didn't renew but still intend to got to most games.
  • Always said our home attendances will hold strongly, along with with Leeds, Saints, & naarwich, we will be the best supported team in the division.
    I expect 13-15k for Wycombe, with an average at worst 12-14k, if we start well, I think we will see 15k+ regularly.
  • [cite]Posted By: se7oaks[/cite]Sad to say it but i knew 7 people who all supported other clubs but had a S/T to watch us in the premier league. All bar one jumped ship after we got relegated and the remaining one saw about 10 home games in the championship (1st season) and as far as i know hasn't been back since. Can't really blame him, it's definately been a labour of love these last 4 seasons.

I got my first season ticket when we were in the Premiership and I'm still hanging on in there!

But having said that in the past I could always get a group of at least 6 non-Charlton supporting mates together for a few beers and a day at the Valley.
    This became much more of a struggle last season and for the Wycombe game I've managed to convince a grand total of 2 of my mates to come along.

Although they love the footie and a few beers I'd say it's the price of £20 for 3rd division football that's finally put them off.
    If it was £10-£15 i think they would still be up for it.
  • [cite]Posted By: dansmudge[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se7oaks[/cite]Sad to say it but i knew 7 people who all supported other clubs but had a S/T to watch us in the premier league. All bar one jumped ship after we got relegated and the remaining one saw about 10 home games in the championship (1st season) and as far as i know hasn't been back since. Can't really blame him, it's definately been a labour of love these last 4 seasons.

I got my first season ticket when we were in the Premiership and I'm still hanging on in there!

But having said that in the past I could always get a group of at least 6 non-Charlton supporting mates together for a few beers and a day at the Valley.
    This became much more of a struggle last season and for the Wycombe game I've managed to convince a grand total of 2 of my mates to come along.

Although they love the footie and a few beers I'd say it's the price of £20 for 3rd division football that's finally put them off.
    If it was £10-£15 i think they would still be up for it.

£17 in most stands?
  • slightly off topic but is it possible to get a half season ticket for the first half of the season as going traveling for the second half of the season?
  • edited July 2009
    [/quote]£17 in most stands?[/quote]

I had a look at tickets in the Lower North as that's where i sit and it was £20.
    I presumed that that was probably the cheapest stand, obviously not?!
  • [cite]Posted By: dansmudge[/cite]£17 in most stands?

I had a look at tickets in the Lower North as that's where i sit and it was £20.

For match tickets it's more expensive that elsewhere. For ST very cheap.
  • [cite]Posted By: dansmudge[/cite]£17 in most stands?

My bad, North West Quadrant is £17 Adults, thats where I will be, good views as well.