Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worthy Of The Shirt

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Carson - excellent all and more you could ask of a loan signing

Young - indifferent form this season but has shown enough guts and endeavour in the past to suggest he is committed

HH - has lost a yard but I think gives all that he has

Kish - the one player whose commitment cannot be questioned

Fortune - limited ability maybe but played with a broken toe earlier this season

Holland - well past his best but looks as though he cares has not gone missing as much as usual recently

Hughes - lightweight but again seems to care

Bent D - Trying hard with little or no service. I feel desperately sorry for him

El K - Will put everything on the line sometimes too enthusiastically

Reid - has tried to play through injury and work at his fitness

Faye- (waits for howls of protest) has played through illness and did an excellent job as emergency cente half

Sam - lightweight but battles as best he can

Myhre - done all that has been asked of him and engages with the fans

The rest I think can go swing. Am I being fair?

Comments

• Options
    Len - respect most of these but Faye is absolute garbage - can't pass, no control, no tactical awareness, no vision, no effort, no interest - worst player in the squad by some way which is quite an achievement

HH, Kishishev, Fortune, Holland Hughes & especially El Kak are Championship standard at the very best - although i agree they do try

the only two players in our squad that would walk into a mid-table Premier side are Carson & D Bent....

it's a sorry state of affairs
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Damn you Len, you beat me to it. I'd largely agree, but would add:
    *I'm still not convinced of Young's credentials as captain
    *I'd argue that the jury is still out on Faye
    *I can't make up my mind about Diawara
    *Haven't really seen enough of Sankofa or the other young players to judge, so we should give them the benefit of the doubt.
    *Sorondo might count if he was ever actually fit
    *Rommedahl is working his way up to borderline - still way too lightweight but has gone missing much less lately even if his end product is erratic, and gets brownie points for being one of only two players (possibly 3, I'm not sure about Carson) to stay and applaud the fans after the game.

What we need from our players is premiership quality, character and fitness, but sadly those that have the 1st two haven't got the last one, and those that have the last two are either lacking in experience, getting a bit past it, or are mainly there for cover rather than first choices. Maybe we just can't afford players that have all three?
  • Options
    Actually agree with Len on this one, Young shouldn't be captain though, I'd give it to Faye.
    Really disagree with the North Upper singling out Faye for abuse, he doesn't deserve it. People like Marcus Bent, JFH and El Karhouri should in be in the firing line long before Faye, Hughes and Kish.
  • Options
    I thought Hughes was one of the few on Tuesday who had a decent game
  • Options
    yeah right...especially when he didn't tackle anyone in the 2nd half so he didn't get another booking. and yeah, also when he found himself running into rather than tackling the opposition with the ball (a la spurs) and nearly ending up with them scoring...

i'm find it hard to find ANY positives about any of the players on tuesday. some tried harder than others, but if i said any had a 'decent' game, i'd be making up lies!
  • Options
    Anyone who went to Newcastle away saw the beginning of the end for Faye. He'd had a terrible time as a player there, so his return with us was going to go one of two ways - he'd be man of the match or have a 'mare. Unfortunately it was the latter, and he's not been the same since - all the demons have come back to haunt him. I agree with Len that he tries and doesn't hide, but when you are low on confidence and a bit short on ability anyway, it just leads to more and more mistakes. Why don't we try him at centre half? He was excellent cover there. Put him alongside Diawara and let them speak French to each other. Diawara was over-priced, no doubt, but has great tackling and clearing ability, and I think he does care. Can you coach positional sense??

Rommedahl is about the only player currently in the team (with Reid out) with any creative flair. Yes, he's lightweight, but we should not be relying on him to do the donkey work. If he'd flown in for tackles in his career, he would have had to retire by now after several broken legs. He has actually given away three fouls in the last two games - which, I hesitate to suggest, is more than the rest of the midfield put together.

For me Jerome Thomas was the worst of the lot on Tuesday - yes, even worse than Traore. Looked overweight and like he did not want to be there. Worst attitude on the pitch, and a terrible waste of talent.
  • Options
    there's no i in team
  • Options
    Young can go in January, he cares so much he put a transfer request in during the summer. Plus he's probably only 1 of a handful we can get money for. Plus as has been said he's not a good captain. Never gives anyone a rollicking, is not a leader whatsoever. Reid should be made captain.
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of that Weegie - although having seen Bellamy and Easter make such mugs of Diawarra I have to say that his positives are drowning in his negatives, but yes to Faye at centre half.

As for Rommedahl, he does what we have always known it says on the tin - I don't have an issue with him.

If Kish is fit perhaps something like this:

Carson
    Sankofa Fortune Faye Ashton
    Kishishev Hughes Holland Rommedahl
    D-Bent M-Bent

subs: Myhre,Sam, Hreidarsson, El Karkouri, Heather Mills
  • Options
    No Reid? Or Thomas? Our only creative players
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reid is injured until the new year.

Thomas stank on Tuesday, hopefully he will show better attitude if he can get fit.
  • Options
    Kind of agree on the performance ratings and views on each player but we have seen in rare glimpses that all these players have the capability of producing the goods - not top dollar - but enough to easily survive the premiership. Unfortunately, and this to me is one of the key problems is that they don't play as a team. There is no dressing room spirit or commeraderie within the team. I bet they haven't even sent each other a christmas card!

I still continue to point the finger at the likes of JFH and Marcus Bent as the rotten apples. Its was the same with Mr Murphy. There are some good and bad bacteria that live in our stomachs. If the bad bacteria starts to outnumber the good then you are likely to be in the shit.

....More sherry please hic!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]subs: Myhre,Sam, Hreidarsson, El Karkouri, Heather Mills

so les has made his first signing as manager?
  • Options
    M Bent may have been indifferent, JFH has been shocking.
    Release JFH now and see if MB can buck up his ideas given a run in the team.
  • Options
    Some of it still goes back to Murphy - good pals with Young and MB...
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Anyone who went to Newcastle away saw the beginning of the end for Faye. He'd had a terrible time as a player there, so his return with us was going to go one of two ways - he'd be man of the match or have a 'mare. Unfortunately it was the latter, and he's not been the same since - all the demons have come back to haunt him. I agree with Len that he tries and doesn't hide, but when you are low on confidence and a bit short on ability anyway, it just leads to more and more mistakes. Why don't we try him at centre half? He was excellent cover there. Put him alongside Diawara and let them speak French to each other. Diawara was over-priced, no doubt, but has great tackling and clearing ability, and I think he does care. Can you coach positional sense??

Rommedahl is about the only player currently in the team (with Reid out) with any creative flair. Yes, he's lightweight, but we should not be relying on him to do the donkey work. If he'd flown in for tackles in his career, he would have had to retire by now after several broken legs. He has actually given away three fouls in the last two games - which, I hesitate to suggest, is more than the rest of the midfield put together.

For me Jerome Thomas was the worst of the lot on Tuesday - yes, even worse than Traore. Looked overweight and like he did not want to be there. Worst attitude on the pitch, and a terrible waste of talent.

Good post Weegie, welcome to the site.

I think you've summed up Faye really well. Thinking about it this morning, none of us know how bad the illness he is carrying is effecting his game. I'm starting to think i and others have been a little harsh, but then again, if someone is not match fit, they should not be selected.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]so les has made his first signing as manager?
    Yes recently released from Liverpool and a free agent ... Les says she should make the bench this weekend ... although perhaps this just means Herman can sit on her leg :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Len - respect most of these but Faye is absolute garbage - can't pass, no control, no tactical awareness, no vision, no effort, no interest - worst player in the squad by some way which is quite an achievement

HH, Kishishev, Fortune, Holland Hughes & especially El Kak are Championship standard at the very best - although i agree they do try

the only two players in our squad that would walk into a mid-table Premier side are Carson & D Bent....

it's a sorry state of affairs

and Andy Reid
  • Options
    I think some have been alittle harsh on faye! He got booed by some planks behind us on tuesday night, our main man dicko turned round and had a right little to do with this guy! I think he is obviously ill, he will be ok i am sure.
  • Options
    Sorry, but if Faye is ill then he clearly shouldnt be on the pitch. I dont think anyone is being harsh on him, his performances against liverpool and wycombe were two of the worst ive ever seen from a midfielder, absolute rubbish.He should be making it clear to Reed he cant play, if for some incredible reason Reed cant see that.This whole debacle has raised Hughes in my estimations, amongst a team who mostly showed no desire to play let alone win, he got stuck in on occasion and actually made forward movements.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fair points Brighton. Hughes is a stop gap player, he's not great and has taken plenty of stick. But he's never hid through it all and i admire that.
  • Options
    How can any one rate Faye, when he tackles he concedes free kicks only 20 yds out, when he gets the ball he lingers to long on it and is easily robbed, and passing well?does he actually know what a Charlton strip looks like. Traore well Liverpool must be laughing up their sleeves. I think Diawara might make a good squad player but need s to concentrate more. Overall the only players that are worth keeping from the last four games are D Bent, Luke Young, Sam, Sankofi (as we have not seen enough to judge yet) Carson, Kishieshev, Diawara, Myhre, and thats it.
  • Options
    How can you say you aint seen enough of sankofa to judge him, but you say those things about faye! Faye hasnt had that many more games than sankofa! Just saying like!
  • Options
    Faye is an experienced (Premier League) player.
    Sankofa is not.
  • Options
    "the last four games are D Bent, Luke Young, Sam, Sankofi "

Let's be honest if Bent was to be jugded on the last 4 games ............................