Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Exeter bid for Fleetwood

edited July 2009 in Rumours
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5432420,00.html

Undisclosed. Doubt it'll be a lot. Didn't we pay about £125k for him, not really worth accepting much less than that, but then again, is he worth keeping.

Definitely behind Dickson and probably McLeod, surely going to be 4th choice striker at best by the time the season starts.

Might be worth keeping if it's only a small bid, though I doubt he's going to be the goalscorer we need. At times last season we saw why it took so long for Dickson to be given a start, and Fleetwood from what I've seen isn't as good as Dickson.

Comments

• no sorry, keep him. He is a far better "striker" than burton and mcleod and why sell to our rivals......they have actually played him in their first team and want him, so he must have something about him.

if we sell him we'll regret it and he will score more goals than the above two will combined.
  • Licence to print money for 1st goalscorer at the Valley when he plays us though.
  • If we sign Feeney yes, if we don't then no, fleetwood is yet to have a proper chance at league one apart from his short loan stints and if exeter want him, either they are mad or can see something in him. Plus we would need to get over £125k for him as that is how much he costed us and he has proved to them he can actualy score. If Gray leaves what is almost certain definatly only sell if we get Feeney as we don't want to have a trouble upfront again like in the prem with 4 strikers ie Burton, Dickson, Tuna, Mcleod as say all get injured or 3 get injured and tuna isn't up to the level in standard? I'm not saying Fleetwood is but good for backup and variety upfront!
  • Notice he didn't play v Wexford on Sunday, is he even in Ireland?

Saw him play for Exeter last season and imo he's flawed. If you play to his strengths he will score goals but he's not everyones cup of tea (including mine.) He doesn't work hard enough for the team and his heading is very poor, Frank Sinclair was outjumping him when they played Wycombe. He is fast though. If we got our money back I'd be well pleased.

If we want to strengthen up front with 1 or 2 strikers coming in, we need to move at least 1 or 2 out, as I imagine its rare in this division to have 5 senior strikers on your books that lack the versitility to play in different positions
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]no sorry, keep him. He is a far better "striker" than burton and mcleod and why sell to our rivals......they have actually played him in their first team and want him, so he must have something about him.
    Burton by far the better overall footballer. At the moment Burton has got to be in the team for me, much more intelligent than Dickson, McLeod and Fleetwood. Rarely gives away the ball either, has a good first touch and at League One level especially will create chances for others. All of them probably need a player like Burton alongside them. If anything he's just not selfish enough. Not saying he's a great player, but at League One level he'll be a good player for us.

Anyway every time I've seen Fleetwood I've never been convinced, though McLeod isn't any better. Remember Exeter were in the Conference a few years ago, they've got to go for players like Fleetwood that they think they might get cheaply and hope they get the best out of him. Didn't do that well for Brighton, and for Exeter two goals came in one game. Think this is a case of he's probably the best they can get, and he might do well, no guarantee he'll score the goals.
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]if we sell him we'll regret it and he will score more goals than the above two will combined.
    Why will Fleetwood score more goals than McLeod? I just don't see anything there that suggest he is a much better player. Same other way around, some people say get rid of Fleetwood and keep McLeod. What makes any of them significantly better than the other one? I don't really see where these conclusions come from.

Fleetwood, McLeod and Dickson all look to be on a very similar level to me, and considering we've barely seen any of them in the first team (well not starting games regularly) I don't think it's clear as to which player is the better striker. I'm not completely convinced that any of them will score regularly in League One just yet.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Fleetwood, McLeod and Dickson all look to be on a very similar level to me

never seen fleetwood but from what i've seen mcleod is slightly better than dickson and burton is the pick of the crop/crap.... scary scary scary we are in a pony league and most of our players are at that level ....
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]no sorry, keep him. He is a far better "striker" than burton and mcleod and why sell to our rivals......they have actually played him in their first team and want him, so he must have something about him.
    Burton by far the better overall footballer.
    Things really have gone downhill
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]If we sign Feeney yes, if we don't then no, fleetwood is yet to have a proper chance at league one apart from his short loan stints and if exeter want him, either they are mad or can see something in him. Plus we would need to get over £125k for him as that is how much he costed us and he has proved to them he can actualy score. If Gray leaves what is almost certain definatly only sell if we get Feeney as we don't want to have a trouble upfront again like in the prem with 4 strikers ie Burton, Dickson, Tuna, Mcleod as say all get injured or 3 get injured and tuna isn't up to the level in standard? I'm not saying Fleetwood is but good for backup and variety upfront!

Feeney is injured, having an op, and no-one will be signing him until January at the earliest.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]If we sign Feeney yes, if we don't then no, fleetwood is yet to have a proper chance at league one apart from his short loan stints and if exeter want him, either they are mad or can see something in him. Plus we would need to get over £125k for him as that is how much he costed us and he has proved to them he can actualy score. If Gray leaves what is almost certain definatly only sell if we get Feeney as we don't want to have a trouble upfront again like in the prem with 4 strikers ie Burton, Dickson, Tuna, Mcleod as say all get injured or 3 get injured and tuna isn't up to the level in standard? I'm not saying Fleetwood is but good for backup and variety upfront!

Feeney is injured, having an op, and no-one will be signing him until January at the earliest.

He failed his medical at Leeds which found he had a hip problem, which is going to be operated on. He'll be fit early in the new season and the word is Leeds will sign him on loan then permanently in January.
  • Is Feeney any better than Burton or Gray? I think not. We'd be better off signing another centre back or a left winger.

Back to Fleetwood, I'd take the money if we can get close to what we paid for him. I think he's behind Dickson and McLeod in the pecking order. Although McLeod didn't show much for 'wall last year, he was very successful in League 2, something which can't be said of Fleetwood.
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33031

They seem to think they'll be paying a fee for him. God knows what it will be. I've only seen Fleetwood in drips and drabs and really don't rate him. If we assume Dickson, Burton and McLeod would be ahead of him, can we really afford to turn down a transfer fee and clear off the wages of our fourth choice striker ?
  • consensus on there seems to be that it's around 100k. Also claims he is on 4k pw with us and would have to take a cut to join them.
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]consensus on there seems to be that it's around 100k. Also claims he is on 4k pw with us and would have to take a cut to join them.

So potentially £200k a year off the wage bill plus £100k fee would seem ok to me.

Who the hell put him on £4k a week (if that is what he's on) ? I guess that's why we're in £40m debt !
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]consensus on there seems to be that it's around 100k. Also claims he is on 4k pw with us and would have to take a cut to join them.

So potentially £200k a year off the wage bill plus £100k fee would seem ok to me.

Who the hell put him on £4k a year (if that is what he's on) ? I guess that's why we're in £40m debt !

£4k a year would be way below the minimum wage and the Club should be congratulated not lambasted for this imho.
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]

Who the hell put him on £4k a year (if that is what he's on) ? I guess that's why we're in £40m debt !

£4k a year would be way below the minimum wage and the Club should be congratulated not lambasted for this imho.

Whoops, edited.

I meant £4k a week, for a guy we signed from non league. Madness.
  • He does have 5 Wales U-21 caps, plus double figures Championship apearances for Cardiff City.
  • EXETER City have made a £50,000 bid for Charlton striker Stuart Fleetwood - but the Addicks won’t sell unless the Grecians increase their offer.

The 23-year-old moved to The Valley from Forest Green in June 2008, signing a three-year deal, but he has yet to feature for the first team.

“Exeter have put a bid in for Stuart and that’s on the table,” Charlton boss Phil Parkinson told the South London Press.

“At the moment Stuart is training with us and trying to show he has a future here.”

It is believed Addicks chiefs would accept a bid in the region of £100,000 - roughly the figure they paid for Fleetwood last year.

For the full story and all the latest Charlton news, see Tuesday's South London Press.

I'm not really fussed if we keep him or not, far more important players in our squad who are better. Don't think he will ever be first choice with us.

If he's on £4k....

facepalm.jpg
  • [cite]Posted By: Imnot Athletic[/cite]Notice he didn't play v Wexford on Sunday, is he even in Ireland?

He is in Ireland with the squad although he didn't feature in the Wexford game.
  • Knowing what little another ex-non league striker was paid in his first contract with us, i very much doubt the 4k figure to be accurate.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Knowing what little another ex-non league striker was paid in his first contract with us, i very much doubt the 4k figure to be accurate.

Up a bit .... ?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Knowing what little another ex-non league striker was paid in his first contract with us, i very much doubt the 4k figure to be accurate.

for every Chris Dickson there's a Martin Christiansen though.
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Burton by far the better overall footballer. At the moment Burton has got to be in the team for me, much more intelligent than Dickson, McLeod and Fleetwood. Rarely gives away the ball either, has a good first touch and at League One level especially will create chances for others. All of them probably need a player like Burton alongside them. If anything he's just not selfish enough. Not saying he's a great player, but at League One level he'll be a good player for us.

Anyway every time I've seen Fleetwood I've never been convinced, though McLeod isn't any better. Remember Exeter were in the Conference a few years ago, they've got to go for players like Fleetwood that they think they might get cheaply and hope they get the best out of him. Didn't do that well for Brighton, and for Exeter two goals came in one game. Think this is a case of he's probably the best they can get, and he might do well, no guarantee he'll score the goals.

Why will Fleetwood score more goals than McLeod? I just don't see anything there that suggest he is a much better player. Same other way around, some people say get rid of Fleetwood and keep McLeod. What makes any of them significantly better than the other one? I don't really see where these conclusions come from.

Fleetwood, McLeod and Dickson all look to be on a very similar level to me, and considering we've barely seen any of them in the first team (well not starting games regularly) I don't think it's clear as to which player is the better striker. I'm not completely convinced that any of them will score regularly in League One just yet.

Agree with most of that Scoh, Burton is much maligned but think a lot of it is a bit unfair. he can do a job for us next season, and even if he's not going to be a stand out star his experience and know how could be invaluable for us - rather in the way Mark Bright did a good job for us when we won the play-offs all those years ago. What we need to find is the Clive Mendonca to go along side him who will feed off Burton's hold up play.
  • If he is on £4k a week that kind of confirms the likes of Bailey, Racon, Semedo, Yassin etc are probably on at least £6k, if not £8k+ a week.

SLP says they have bid £50k, but we want around £100k.
    http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=27753&headline=Exeter%20bid%20for%20Charlton%20striker
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Agree with most of that Scoh, Burton is much maligned but think a lot of it is a bit unfair. he can do a job for us next season, and even if he's not going to be a stand out star his experience and know how could be invaluable for us - rather in the way Mark Bright did a good job for us when we won the play-offs all those years ago. What we need to find is the Clive Mendonca to go along side him who will feed off Burton's hold up play.
    If only we could combine Burton's footballing brain with McLeod's pace and Dickson's poaching instincts, we'd have a cracking striker on our hands. Then again knowing our luck we'd probably end up with Burton's pace, McLeod's poaching instincts and Dickson's footballing brain.
  • Good use of the Picard BRE
  • Exeter press saying a season long loan deal has been agreed but the takeover has held it up.
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Exeter press saying a season long loan deal has been agreed but the takeover has held it up.

Exeter Echo Echo Echo Echo
  • It says they've lined it up, nothing to do with us agreeing to it.

If we are happy to loan him out, surely we should just cut out losses and sell him.
  • he bangs em in in league one on fm!