Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

new mobile phone directory - opt out here

Comments

• Options
    Are you aware of the new controversial 118800 mobile phone directory which launches next week?

Do you want to learn how to opt out of it?

Start up firm Connectivity (www.118800.co.uk) has bought lists of 16 million phone numbers – around 40 per cent of those in regular use in the UK – and addresses, which are typically used in the premium rate industry, to set up its service. The lists typically cost them about 15 pence per record.

Connectivity insists it is 'privacy friendly' because it will not give out mobile numbers, but instead act as an intermediary to put users in touch with whoever they are searching for.

Instead, operators will find and dial the target's number and ask whether they are prepared to receive the call. If the target (you) doesn't answer their phone, then they'll send you an SMS message with the callers Name & Phone number for you to respond to.

For either transaction Connectivity is going to charge the Enquirer £1.

The 'search' criteria is pretty broad : First Name, Last Name & Town. If they find multiple matches then they ask for more details like Address or Company Name. So I did a search for myself, and I'm in there! Yet my cellphone is recorded with the Telephone Preference Service – "the central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls" – so I shouldn't be on their database?

Of course I'm fervently hoping that via Caller ID I'll be able to recognise Connectivity calling me and automatically Cancel the call – but then I'm going to be irritated a minute later with the SMS Message.

Beware that Connectivity is using the tag line "start searching for friends now" – so whilst it might be nice to hear from old friends via Friends Reunited or Facebook, I don't want to be disturbed when I'm driving the car or in a Business meeting! Its bad enough having Sales people call me 9-5 on my Cellphone.

Anyone who does not want to be contacted via the mobile phone directory must Opt Out.

The Information Commissioners Office said in a statement "….Opting out of the service should be made as easy as possible for anyone who does not want their details to be used for the directory service…."

So how do you opt out? Well in Connectivity's parlance you can elect to become ex-directory by :

"texting the letter 'E' to 118800 from the mobile phone you want to be made ex-directory or you can call us on 0800 138 6263. Standard network charges apply. The first time 118 800 contacts you, you will be sent an SMS reminding you about how to become ex-directory. Please allow up to 4 weeks for your ex-directory request to take effect."

Connectivity doesn't acknowledge your SMS request.

As it goes live next week, the sooner you opt out the better. I'm intrigued whether the Information Commissioner thinks that a 4-week delay for opt out is justifiable

Found this article, opting out seems to be a bit hit and miss as you have no idea whether or not your opt out has been successful.
  • Options
    The data protection act is total bollocks.

Businesses abuse it and the only people caught by it are decent, working people trying to help out family members as public utilities and private companies use it as an excuse to obfuscate and avoid solving customer/client problems.

This opinion is based on my personal experience.
  • Options
    needs to be changed so info can't be sold - who in their right mind would ever want their info to be sold on?
  • Options
    Straight away, the whole idea of promoting the ex-directory thing appears to get you to text back or call them - so you'll be charged and they make money.

Or you can just click on Threadkiller's link above and you can make your number ex-directory on line.

I just have.
    Sod all those double-glazing and free weeks holidays nuisance cold calling.
  • Options
    they are not letting you opt out at the moment!!!!! bbc linky