Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Jackson Memorial

Just watched the welsh kid from Britains Got Telent sing in fron of 17000 spectators and a billion TV viewers. The kids got bottle. His life will never be the same again.

Comments

• Options
    Bottle indeed and a great performance to go with it.

Was a very moving memorial
  • Options
    Not sure what to make of it all tbh. Always felt a bit sorry for jacko living his life as he did in such sadness, but also not sure about those rumours of his accusers being bought off along the way. RIP jacko is all that can be said really and hope he finds more peace now than he did in life. But save the real emotion and respect for the British boys fighting in Afghanistan, they need our thoughts more and deservedly so, putting their lives on the line for all of us. I was going to say whether you agree with them being there or not, but that is irrelevant, they are there and deserve all of our support. Plus if you don't agree with them being there you can always do one.
  • Options
    Yep, I think we can safely say that he's just cracked America & good luck to the kid.
  • Options
    thought the serivce was very sad feal sorry for his children when paris did that speech at the end mad me feal upset rip micheal jackson
  • Options
    The lad done good, what about Stevie Wonder saying " I thought I never see this day"
  • Options
    yh i thought the best bits to me was jamine singing and paris speak must have been so hard for them to do that but stevie wonder sayin that gave me a lump in my throat very sad
  • Options
    Personally I'm very disappointed that the media (and that's all media outlets) gave it so much coverage over the memorial service commemorating the events of 7/7 - at the time referred to as our 9/11.

Having been at work all day I wanted to watch something on the service but struggled to find any TV coverage of it, while there was just wall-to-wall coverage of that pantomime.

Disgraceful IMO, an insult to those souls who so needlessly lost their lives. How quickly a nation forgets.
  • Options
    ooooooooo i only just got that joke lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]Personally I'm very disappointed that the media (and that's all media outlets) gave it so much coverage over the memorial service commemorating the events of 7/7 - at the time referred to as our 9/11.

^^ This ^^

The daily rags were loaded with 8 pages of MJ drivel, when something closer to home was vastly overlooked.

Sad.
  • Options
    Poor Brooke Sheilds, a selection of her quotes from last night:

"I first met Michael when I was 13"

"Michael like to be teased"

"His heart almost exploded when we laughed together"

Overall it was a very moving memorial but I couldnt help but watch it with a degree of cynicism. Was there any need for a congresswoman to be there in the first place let alone say "we all know you're innocent until proven guilty"?

And the poor daughter at the end talking - did she really want to do that? I hope so for her sake - it made me choke a little bit.

I just hope he can now RIP but I fear he wont.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I caught the last half hour or so of this last night.

it was kind of addictive in a bad way. I wanted to have a shower after it finished, it just did not feel like an event that should ever be televised.

A memorial after a funeral fine, but to combine the two just struck me a very very wrong.
  • Options
    it was allmost like the family forced her to speak at the end and i think it was a shame i dont really think the family should have let the children be there they need to greve in there one way not to be forced into speaking infront of 17,500 people and millions around the world
  • Options
    52 innocent people lost their lives 4 years ago yesterday, but their memory was overshadowed by the 'circus funeral' of a man that consistently abused his body.(and POSSIBLY others!)

People should be ashamed.
  • Options
    I have not really followed much of what went on at the service but I watched his child do the speach and felt it was wrong to put a kid through that infront of so many people, it must have been 1 traumatising experience.

For all his faults MJ never had a childhood and I just hope that media let the family grieve how the need to and let his children carry on growing up a kids, not in a world of constant media interviews.

RIP MJ
  • Options
    What channel was the show on?
  • Options
    its was on alot of channels like sky news sky arts hd 1 and bbc news and bbc two
  • Options
    The whole thing was sickening.

To put that on ahead of 7/7 tributes is shameful. Switched off when met with the sight of Joe Jackson presiding over the whole event. The man looked evil.

I had little interest in reading about his death and even less in be forcefed the clap-trap served up in "memorial".

I would have been interested in watching a decent tribute to the 7/7 victims.

RIP Jamie.
  • Options
    yh i agree with you clem but you have to think aswell michael jackson was the greatest musican to walk this planet dont care what anyone else says thats y he had so much coverage have to agree though that the 7/7 victims should have more coverage than they did though
  • Options
    Why the fuss, no one forced anyone to watch the MJ service.
  • Options
    Frankly it says a lot about our Society that anyone wanted to!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It does indeed, and the fact that a publicly funded broadcaster thought it more important than the 7/7 coverage.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: westie456[/cite]yh i agree with you clem but you have to think aswell michael jackson was the greatest musican to walk this planet dont care what anyone else says thats y he had so much coverage have to agree though that the 7/7 victims should have more coverage than they did though

Never seen him play an instrument myself, but then I try to avoid anything he does (did) as much as possible.
  • Options
    Unfortunately that's just the way the media works, 7/7 was 4 years ago whereas the Jackson thing happened that day. There isn't really that much to report on the memorial itself other than to get survivors & relatives to comment on it. Don't get me wrong, I was more interested in the memorial than the Jackson concert but I'm in the minority.

As next year will be the 5th year you can expect quite a healthy coverage of 7/7 and not a mention of Jackson.
  • Options
    Never seen him play an instrument myself, but then I try to avoid anything he does (did) as much as possible.[/quote]

you dont have to be able to play a instrument to be a musican face facts m8 hes the greatest at what he does or should i say did but hes a legend and no one will ever come close to what he achived in his life
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: westie456[/cite]Never seen him play an instrument myself, but then I try to avoid anything he does (did) as much as possible.

you dont have to be able to play a instrument to be a musican face facts m8 hes the greatest at what he does or should i say did but hes a legend and no one will ever come close to what he achived in his life[/quote]

Going a bit OTT to say he was the greatest IMHO.

Good yes, wonderful singer and dancer yes but has he really produced a body of work that influenced or changed popular music in the way that Elvis, Dylan, Marvin, The Beatles, Aretha, Smokey, Stevie or many others have.

What did he really achieve in his life? Sold a lot of pop records but was never happy, had some very odd relationships with his wife and children and ended up broke and addicted.

It's a sad story and news worthy but in a few years time people will be as embarrassed about how OTT then went over MJ as they do now about Diana.
  • Options
    could it be argued he 'contributed' to the cross over of some 'black' music into a rock/pop mainstream?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]could it be argued he 'contributed' to the cross over of some 'black' music into a rock/pop mainstream?

Sure but was he the only one. Didn't Stevie Wonder do that as well.
  • Options
    Not a wonderful singer, a barely adequate voice. Great dancer, well so is Wayne Sleep. Don't see any part of music today he influenced, anything he did was influenced by those who came before. Elvis did more for the crossover of 'black' music five years before he was even born.
  • Options
    i still think it's weird how many people are ok with a 24 year old dating a 14 year old.
  • Options
    I agree with henry, there is a first, he was talented but was not a musician or unique in much other than showmanship and hype. There will be more hyped individuals to follow, as is the way with the world now.