Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Ashes 2009 thread

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Trott replaces Bopara.[/quote]

The selectors kept that secret...

Apparently (and I've no idea whether this is true or not) some journalists went into the room where the selectors held the meeting and finding that they'd gone had a root around in the bin. That's where they found the details on Bopara being dropped for Trott.
  • Options
    It's Trottgate!

I was at Canterbury too on Saturday. Perfect day down there, few beers lovely atmosphere. I just love the Aussies and have been very fortunate to have seen them so many times this year.
    I would rather the selectors had chosen Key over Trott on a purely experience basis.
    We need to play Harmi I reckon, I was unimpressed with him at Headingley but we need his pace at The Oval.
    I'd leave out Sidebottom, Onions and Monty from the squad announced today.
    I'm there Thurs, Sat and Monday and am really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    The selectors have bottled it. How the feck can Bell keep his place? The Aussies are laughing their nuts off.

As for Trott, if we were going to bring in a new player then I'd rather play an Englishman rather than another bloody Saffer.

The Aussies are going to murder us, our middle-order is a joke of the highest order. Ramps would have been a far better short-term bet as would Key rather than Bell and Trott as our 3 and 4.

Pathetic selection.
  • Options
    If the groundsmen have done their patriotic duty in preparing the pitch for spin then Monty should be in. Harmey out for Flintoff surely? & Onions has been pretty good?
    My team in batting order: Strauss, Cook, Trott, Collingwood, Flintoff, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Onions, Panesar
  • Options
    Joe Denly named in ODI squad against Australia plus ICC Trophy. No Rob Key though - fall out with Coach might just be behind that one.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Darren[/cite]If the groundsmen have done their patriotic duty in preparing the pitch for spin then Monty should be in. Harmey out for Flintoff surely? & Onions has been pretty good?
    My team in batting order: Strauss, Cook, Trott, Collingwood, Flintoff, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Onions, Panesar[/quote]

You want six bowlers?

The Oval is generally fast and bouncy, and a good wicket to bat on, so England need to play as many batsmen as possible. If England play two spinners then the choice is two from Broad, Onions and Harmison. But Bell will play and bat at three and Trott at four.

I'd expect the batting order to be: Strauss, Cook, Bell, Trott, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff.

Swann and Anderson are definites and that leaves the choice of who to include from Panesar, Harmison, Broad and Onions. England need a win and Harmison has played and bowled well on this track in the past (eg last year vs South Africa), so I'd be inclined to include him and Broad in the hope that he can continue where he left off at Headingley, besides that his run scoring ability will come in handy.
  • Options
    I admit it BFR, drink had been taken. Less thinking outside the box more like thinking when off my box ;-) Looks like there might be some rain too so that'd change things.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Joe Denly named in ODI squad against Australia plus ICC Trophy. No Rob Key though - fall out with Coach might just be behind that one.

ODI's don't count in The Ashes. You're off topic AA.
    There has been no fall out with Key and the England management, media hype just like the possible recall of Ramps.
    The omission of Key is probably more due to the inept England management team- Miller, Giles, Whittaker and Flower. I ask you!!??
    As long as the likes of Nass and Atherton are sitting in the TV box, I can't see us going anywhere.
  • Options
    The only decision for the selectors on Thurs is which of Harmi, Onions, Sidebottom or Monty get the last spot. I'd go with Harmi and I think they will too.
  • Options
    If you were Nasser or Athers would you take that chalice?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Joe Denly named in ODI squad against Australia plus ICC Trophy. No Rob Key though - fall out with Coach might just be behind that one.

ODI's don't count in The Ashes. You're off topic AA.
    There has been no fall out with Key and the England management, media hype just like the possible recall of Ramps.
    The omission of Key is probably more due to the inept England management team- Miller, Giles, Whittaker and Flower. I ask you!!??
    As long as the likes of Nass and Atherton are sitting in the TV box, I can't see us going anywhere.

You crack me up sometimes Chirpy. Just glad we're not all as opinionated as you ;-)
  • Options
    Well surely that is what message boards are all about, opinions! Seeing as I have none to offer on CAFC at the moment I thought I'd stick to cricket.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]If you were Nasser or Athers would you take that chalice?[/quote]

Yep...

Whether they would take the job and give up lucrative media gigs is another matter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]If you were Nasser or Athers would you take that chalice?
    Well the passion Nass shows when he is talking about our failings indicates to me he would love to be involved.
    Athers would be a good selector in my view.
    I'm sure Nass is on a good whack with Sky but one thing the ECB is not short of is money. So I cannot see that being a problem. Nass is long enough out of the game to be detached from the players but no so long that he doesn't understand modern cricket.
    He was an excellent England captain, he is innovative and shrewd. I'd love to see him in charge of England for a few years. Soon too, not like Illingworth who got the job 15 years too late.
  • Options
    You can give up the media and go back, David Lloyd did, as did Alan Shearer. I reckon Nass would do better than both of those.
  • Options
    Ok - if Nass took over would there really be much change in the personnel on the field?
    I am not so sure.

Would you draw a line under Bell,Bopara,Shah etc and give someone else a go?
    Should any youngsters/newcomers be given a guaranteed 10 tests to get used to test cricket and so they can play without fear?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Ok - if Nass took over would there really be much change in the personnel on the field?
    I am not so sure.

Should any youngsters/newcomers be given a guaranteed 10 tests to get used to test cricket and so they can play without fear?

10 is too many. I think there is a case for 3 or so though.

The fact is though some players are mentally suited to test cricket and others are not even if they appear more talented.

Think Paul Collingwood and Graham Hick.
  • Options
    To Answer Chizz's excellent post on the Previous Page, I will say the Final test will be a draw !

Australia unfortunately will retain Ashes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Ok - if Nass took over would there really be much change in the personnel on the field?
    I am not so sure.

Massive change is not required on the field but obviously the men at the top are not getting the right message across to the players. Nass tells you exactly what England should be doing and not just after the event, before too. Watch him on Sky on Thursday morning.
  • Options
    Predictions please!

England starting XI

And what do you do if you win the toss?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Predictions please!

England starting XI

And what do you do if you win the toss?[/quote]

I've listed my team a few posts up thread...

If we win the toss we bat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Predictions please!

England starting XI

And what do you do if you win the toss?

Strauss
    Cook
    Bell
    Trott
    Collingwood
    Prior
    Flintoff
    Broad
    Swann
    Anderson
    Onions

I would bat if I won the toss.

However, the Aussies win the toss and score 550-8 declared. We then manage 410 all out thus avoiding the follow on and the Aussies bat us out of the game in their 2nd inns.

Oh and I win a shed load for a series 1-1 draw :-)
  • Options
    SSN say Monty will not play today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]SSN say Monty willnotplay today.
    They're right!
  • Options
    BBC update person is saying Onions isn't playing either.
  • Options
    england won toss and batting
  • Options
    COME ON ENGLAND
  • Options
    England win Toss & will bat.
    Strauss (C)
    Cook
    Bell
    Trott
    Collingwood
    Prior
    Flintoff
    Broad
    Swann
    Anderson
    Harmison
  • Options
    Thank f+ck Panesar is not playing, after being at Cardiff I think I would have had a breakdown if he was in the team.
  • Options
    Live here, superb picture

Ashes