Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

School Holiday, Holiday prices.

edited July 2009 in Not Sports Related
Just booked up a week away for 2 adults and 2 kids for the week before October half term (missing Gills away!)

The same holiday on the following week, which is deemd to be the half term week, was 135% more expensive.

What a bloody rip off - no wonder people take their kids out of school.

Comments

• Options
    Agree completely, but it's been the same since we were kids, it's just something you have to factor in when deciding whether to have them or not.
  • Options
    What?

Kids or Holidays ;-)
  • Options
    it's an absolute rip off and I wouldn't think twice about taking mine out of school to take her away (when she's old enough to go to school).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]What?

Kids or Holidays ;-)

Both I 'spose... :-D
  • Options
    I think if kids are taken out of school, during term time for a holiday, they should be made to work an extra week at the end of that term.
  • Options
    It's the joys a market economy innit?
  • Options
    being married to a teacher means it is impossible to go on holiday during term time, but I have no objections to those who do take their kids out during school time - kids can gain just as much from spending two weeks in a foerign country than they would in school. Most kids will catch up without too much trouble.
  • Options
    We only took ours out of school once when one of them won a competition and wanted to compete in the National finals.

We felt the benefits of that experience outweighed the days missed particularly as she wanted to compete and would have been disappointed not to.

As Addickted says though having paid through the nose for holidays over many years I can understand why parents are tempted to travel during term time.

Mine have all left school now but the wife works in a school so i'm still stuck to school holidays!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Took mine out for 10 days for a holiday in Paphos got back friday, works out much cheaper, would always do it.
  • Options
    I'm going during the school holidays this summer. 2 weeks all Inc to Cyprus family of 4 staying at a 4* hotel - £2700.00

You just have to look about. Deals to be had :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The government is bringing in a white paper regarding education (you know, teacher mot's and what not) the white paper also contains this bit:
    On pg 4, end of paragraph 8 in the summary document.

'In applying for a school place every parent will agree to adhere to the school's behaviour rules. Once their child is in school, the parents will be expected to sign the agreement each year and will face real consequences if they fail to live up to the responsibilities set out within it, including the possibility of a court-imposed parenting order. In turn, parents will also have the right to complain if they believe the school is not holding other parents to their responsibilities.'

Most agreements require parents to not take the kids out in term time for holidays. However what is amazing about this proposal is ' In turn, parents will also have the right to complain if they believe the school is not holding other parents to their responsibilities.' So now schools are expected to make parents parent? How totally and utterly ludicrous. Are schools now to be held to account for the lack of some people's parenting skills?
  • Options
    don't see this as being a 'rip off'. Hotels etc price according to the laws of supply and demand and go through long periods of inoccupancy (hence financial loss) in the off season - these prices are necessary to run a sustainable business. Remember, the fact that they are in competition with each other brings a high element of price control into play at this time of year and particularly in this financial climate.

In any event, parents take plenty of advantage of under 12 offers, state benefits and the like so it's not all bad - as Algarve says something you have to factor in when deciding to have them
  • Options
    As a parent of grown children its not something we now worry about, but when they were at home we found that the best way by making the kids contribute towards the holiday, ie: They payed for the flights and hotels and we gave them some spending money! normally it only cost us about about twenty quid a week and it stopped the ungrateful little sods asking again :)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nottsaddick[/cite]don't see this as being a 'rip off'. Hotels etc price according to the laws of supply and demand and go through long periods of inoccupancy (hence financial loss) in the off season - these prices are necessary to run a sustainable business. Remember, the fact that they are in competition with each other brings a high element of price control into play at this time of year and particularly in this financial climate.

In any event, parents take plenty of advantage of under 12 offers, state benefits and the like so it's not all bad - as Algarve says something you have to factor in when deciding to have them

Sorry, but that's bollocks mate. "Factor in"? "State benefits"? Fuck me, this is having kids you're talking about here , not the mpg done by your average estate car !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nottsaddick[/cite]don't see this as being a 'rip off'. Hotels etc price according to the laws of supply and demand and go through long periods of inoccupancy (hence financial loss) in the off season - these prices are necessary to run a sustainable business. Remember, the fact that they are in competition with each other brings a high element of price control into play at this time of year and particularly in this financial climate.

In any event, parents take plenty of advantage of under 12 offers,state benefitsand the like so it's not all bad - as Algarve says something you have to factor in when deciding to have them

Sorry, but that's bollocks mate. "Factor in"? "State benefits"? Fuck me, this is having kids you're talking about here , not the mpg done by your average estate car !
    Stop sitting on that fence Off_it - say what you feel :o)

Seriously - people make the decision to have kids. They know holiday companies engage in naked profiteering when it comes to families before they make that decision. Plus, of course, it makes my holidays (which I can take out of peak season, with my extra disposable income,) considerably cheaper.

So I say - lovely old job.

People with kids would say I'm missing out by not having any myself, but its swings and roundabouts, innit? I ususally subsidise people with families at work by working considerably longer hours than them too - its only right I should reap some benefits.

:o)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Hillsys Up[/cite]I'm going during the school holidays this summer. 2 weeks all Inc to Cyprus family of 4 staying at a 4* hotel - £2700.00

that's a deal ?????????

blimey
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

In any event, parents take plenty of advantage of under 12 offers,state benefitsand the like so it's not all bad - as Algarve says something you have to factor in when deciding to have them

Seriously - people make the decision to have kids. They know holiday companies engage in naked profiteering when it comes to families before they make that decision. Plus, of course, it makes my holidays (which I can take out of peak season, with my extra disposable income,) considerably cheaper.

People with kids would say I'm missing out by not having any myself, but its swings and roundabouts, innit? I ususally subsidise people with families at work by working considerably longer hours than them too - its only right I should reap some benefits.

Sorry Leroy, but that's bullshit too. You don't subsidise me - and it will be my kids subsidising you and me in our old age when our pensions are worth 50p a week. You'll thank me for having a of sprogs couple then.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Hillsys Up[/cite]I'm going during the school holidays this summer. 2 weeks all Inc to Cyprus family of 4 staying at a 4* hotel - £2700.00

that's a deal ?????????

blimey

You don't know the half of it mate. I've lumped out that for a solitary week in blighty - and the same place is half the price a couple of weeks later. It's scandalous.
  • Options

So, you didn't think about the financial implications before you decided to have kids?
  • Options

I think what we are trying to say D, or at least I am, is that this situation was known before people decided to have kids, it should come as no surprise. If it does, then maybe, just maybe, they didn't really consider such a major decision very well at all. It does seem some people do spend more time deciding which car to buy than they do over whether to bring another life into this crazy old world of ours...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think many people actually consider the price of holidaying in school holiday times when they decide to have children - it's not exactly top of the list when you 'do' the pros and cons.

I also understand the supply and demand arguement that holidaying during school holidays will be more expensive as more people will want to go.

What I cant understand is that if a holiday costs £900 one week, why the hell should exactly the same product cost £1900 the following week.

THAT is the rip off.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If I were going to do something as serious as bringing a new life into the world, I would do all the pros and cons. I did, I don't have kids.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I don't think many people actually consider the price of holidaying in school holiday times when they decide to have children - it's not exactly top of the list when you 'do' the pros and cons.

I also understand the supply and demand arguement that holidaying during school holidays will be more expensive as more people will want to go.

What I cant understand is that if a holiday costs £900 one week, why the hell should exactly the same product cost £1900 the following week.

THAT is the rip off.

THAT is supply and demand
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]being married to a teacher means it is impossible to go on holiday during term time, but I have no objections to those who do take their kids out during school time - kids can gain just as much from spending two weeks in a foerign country than they would in school. Most kids will catch up without too much trouble.

Good idea. Concerned parents should simply take the kids out of school full-stop and let them develop through roaming around feral. They can always catch up when they're 16 and it's time for them to go into media studies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I don't think many people actually consider the price of holidaying in school holiday times when they decide to have children - it's not exactly top of the list when you 'do' the pros and cons.

THAT is the rip off.

THAT is supply and demand

No it is blatant, cynical profiteering, one consequence of which will be to reduce demand by pricing out those unable to afford the higher price so in that sense yes you are right.

However the Travel Company presumably makes money at the lower price otherwise why would they offer the holiday?

Morally it should charge the same at all times and at times of extra demand simply tell potential customers that it is fully booked. That way everybody gets a fair crack of the whip.

I realise that I am talking utopia rather than reality.
  • Options
    my son's school will impose a fine (£100 ?) if he is taken out of school for a holiday during term time.

HE IS FIVE. what is going to miss that is so important ?? I can understand if he was at a seconary school or, even more importantly, was in his last couple of years and studying for exams, but a 5 year old ???

the world had gone mad.
  • Options
    Golf
    The problem is it isnt just you and your five year old.
    There will be others in your child's class, and their older brothers and sisters.
    They will come back to school saying how brilliant it was to miss school, then the following year it snowballs and classes of all ages are half empty - what do the teachers do - carry on with the relentless and inflexible syllabus, arrange extra classes in their own time for the selfish ones who take their kids out of classes.
    It really is a case of the thin end of the wedge - let soem out and then term dates become a mockery and we might as well have drop in centres instead of schools.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

Sorry Leroy, but that's bullshit too. You don't subsidise me - and it will be my kids subsidising you and me in our old age when our pensions are worth 50p a week. You'll thank me for having a of sprogs couple then.
    Well f*** me sideways - its nice to find something we can disagree on. I was beginning to think you and me were separated at birth.

My tuppen'orth is that I don't expect to live much beyond 65 anyway - and will have enough money if I do survive that long to f*** off to Costa Rica and live on the beach for the rest of my days.

I'm sick to f***ing death of people I work with expecting to be able to not pull their weight on projects that require working at ridiculous o'clock 'because they've got kids'. So f***ing what? Their choice - they shouldn't expect me not to moan about it when I have to work until 4 o'clock in the sodding morning covering for them though - or when I can't get any time off in the summer or Christmas because they've monopolised the departmental annual leave 'because of their family'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

that's a deal ?????????

blimey

Two adults 5* hotel in tunisia two weeks £1200.00 That's more of a deal!
  • Options
    so people with kids get:

tax credits
    Lowr tax rate
    Child benefit
    Pregency leave

People with no kids get :

higher tax rate
    and the joy of someones kids running round a long haul flight screaming the f**king heads off.

So you have to pay more for a holday during school breaks ? sooooooo f**kin what