Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

help-Squatters

just had squatters move in late yesterday to a house that backs onto me. The house is owned by Greenwich Council and has been boarded up for a year so not unexpected.

My neighbour said a couple of hours ago that they had got the power on and have arrived back with two vans and a large soundsystem!!

Whats the law like in these situations - how long does it legally take the Council to get them out? Just dont fancy my whole summer ruined by late night parties.

Comments

• Options
    Depends if they fight their corner in court. If they do could be months. If it is a case of Ntq and then eviction. Probably 14-28 days. Tricky situation for the council as they have to be very careful not to imply a tenancy. Also, county courts are notorious for their ability to allow ridiculous amonts of appeals. To be honest, experience says that in most cases they get an eviction notice, trash the place and are gone 2-3 days.
  • Options
    Should they inadvertantely leave the speakers unatended outside at night in the hot weather you could always nip over the fence and stick a screwdriver through the cones....it works a treat!
  • Options
    Have had a lot of experience with this over the past year. It can be a legal minefield IF you get the wrong advice.

Suggest you speak to LBG tomorrow - ring up the switchboard 020 8854 8888 and ask for the person who deals with empty properties in the borough.
  • Options
    go in mob handed and kick ten bells out the ***** and evict 'em ourself LOL
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]go in mob handed and kick ten bells out the ***** and evict 'em ourself LOL[/quote]

Sounds fair to me
  • Options
    If they do have a powerful sound system, you and the neighbours can get the council to put a noise abatement order on them.
    If that's broken the council can get legal or court action against them.

Or just keep requesting police presence each and everytime they cause nuisance.

Then just leave it to the authorities to hound them.
  • Options
    i'm not making light of your problem, hardy, but not all squatters are as unpopular...

Mark Thomas gig in MPs home

pictures of the house

the Daily Mail and Mark Thomas is a weird combination.
  • Options
    I'm with Ledge on this one
  • Options
    At the moment they appear to be behaving themselves. No noise or mess. Maybe they are gearing up for the Weekend though! Oggy - the Noise Abatement issue is something i will bear in mind. One or two mates who owe me a favour would I'm sure take up Ledge's suggestion if it ever got OTT.

Have kicked up a fuss with the neighbours and after the Chief Exec of the Council got involved LBGreenwich got the Court papers sorted out today apparently. Now have to wait about 3 weeks as Courts a bit slow at present.
  • Options
    Whats the address when do you want us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kneecap the bassas!
  • Options
    Tear gas em - then as they come out all coughing and spluttering with their eyes streaming, whack em on the head with a lump of wood. They should get the message.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]go in mob handed and kick ten bells out the ***** and evict 'em ourself LOL

Bang on right.

Actually had a woman last week hire a lorry and she admitted she was using it to move into a squat, unbelievable, if it had been my call she would not have got it, scabby bitch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]go in mob handed and kick ten bells out the ***** and evict 'em ourself LOL

Bang on right.

Actually had a woman last week hire a lorry and she admitted she was using it to move into a squat, unbelievable, if it had been my call she would not have got it, scabby bitch.

She spoke highly of you E !
    ;-)
  • Options
    If they wanna move into an empty property, why dont they just write a letter (if they know how) to the council asking them if its all okay to proceed with it, that way minimum legal action would be taken, but yet they dont think of this, tw@ts.

Just think yourself lucky it aint a group of 30 pikies trying to claim your land and asking you why you are "in their endz". That happened to me before, was rather funny tbh.
  • Options
    If they aren't being a pain in the arse, what's the problem?

The property has been standing empty for a year. If the council had any sense, rather than serving an eviction notice, they should send them a tennancy agreement and start getting rent out of them!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]If they aren't being a pain in the arse, what's the problem?

The property has been standing empty for a year. If the council had any sense, rather than serving an eviction notice, they should send them a tennancy agreement and start getting rent out of them![/quote]

Would not mind this but its a large house split into 4 or 5 flats. The Council says they have no money at present to do it up but they also i feel dont want to sell it. Catch 22. I sugested they sell it to a housing association with money. In another year they will make a decision!
  • Options
    I can't believe the Daily Mail are putting a positive spin on that gig.

"Political activist Thomas was followed on stage by fellow comic Wil Hodgson and ‘social surrealist poet’ Attila the Stockbroker, who recited a poem about asylum-seeking Daleks."

That would be this poem:

"Asylum seeking Daleks
    are landing here at noon!
    Why can't we simply send them back
    or stick them on the moon?
    It says here in the Daily Mail
    they're coming here to stay -
    The Loony Lefties let them in!
    The middle class will pay......"

Has the Daily Mail finally discovered an self-effacing attitude? Hurrah!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]

Bang on right.

She spoke highly of you E !
    ;-)

LOL
  • Options
    Is it true that in this country there are a million empty homes and 500,000 homeless?
    I heard that the law was, as long as you don't force entry, it's legal to squat an empty property, and get the gas and leccy put on, and start paying the council tax and whatnot. If you last 12 years in said property, presumably without challenge, it becomes yours to keep.
    I'm pretty sure this has actually happened about a decade ago.
    I reckon it's possible to live next to perfectly legal neighbours from hell, and squatters who enrich the community.
    Then again I read the Guardian on a Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes Seth, it happened in Lambeth around 12 years ago. The Council thought the houses were owned by a Housing Association so did nothing but they turned out to be Council properties. They were up Kennington/Vauxhall way.