Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

what goes around.........

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
Just found an old programme one of my mates gave me (an Orient fan) - us v the O's in March 1960.

Almost 40 years ago but the club should perhaps just re-print it when we play them as I quote from the front page of said programme (Saturday 19th March 1960 -price 4d)

"Matches between London rivals naturally pull in the crowds and from Charlton's point of view, the loss of several fixtures with other London clubs in recent years has made a big difference. Only three years ago we had Tottenham,Arsenal and Chelsea visting The Valley, last season the number was reduced to two................the loss of several very attractive fixtures coupled with the loss of revenue, is a hard pill to swallow. But is no use moaning -it's one of the penalties we suffered when Charlton were relegated from the First Division and our only remedy is to try harder to get back."

amazing - it could have been written yesterday. Just shows you football goes in cycles.

For the record, by then we had played 33 games and had 37 points (2 for a win obviously) and were 9th.....but only 1 point off 3rd !!! Interestingly far more goals were scored in those days. We had scored 69 and let in 70 (average of 4 goals a game !) and only the top 3 had scored more (Cardiff top with 80 goals, Villa and 'boro with 76)

Comments

• 50 years you mean....
  • well, 49 actually...............
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Just found an old programme one of my mates gave me (an Orient fan) - us v the O's in March 1960.

Almost 40 years ago

ok almost 50 years you mean ;-)
  • oops, sorry. Yes 50 years - and only a couple of weeks in it from when we play them away
  • Football does go in cycles, although somewhat different cycles for Arsenal, Tottenham & Chelsea on the one hand and us on the other, I can't help noticing. Here's hoping the wheel of fortune turns a bit quicker this time.