Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tips for surviving the heatwave

Any practical or Viz type tips for coping with the hottest July since 2006?

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2009
    You could strap Michael Jackson to your back - he must be cold now?

Oh, and don't forget to take your cardigan off
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Any practical or Viz type tips for coping with the hottest July since 2006?

Take your cardigan off :-)
  • Options
    1. Take notice of power outage warnings. Because heatwaves drain the power grid as households turn on more fans, coolers and air conditioners, blackouts are possible. Keep tabs on your local utility's website for heatwave, power consumption and blackout information.
    2. Go out. If it's too hot inside, go outside. Find a pub with a/c and have a cold, non-alcoholic drink.
    3. Keep still. Moving consumes calories and warms you up. The hottest people on tube trains are the ones sitting fanning themselves. Keep still and you are less likely to need to fan.
    4. Stock up on water. And food. Keep your fridge and freezer well stocked, powered up, turned on and shut.
    5. Consume as little power as possible. Rooms get hotter when there are electricity-hungry items plugged in and running. That includes fans.
    6. Check on friends and family memebers. If you are hot, it's likely they are too. Don't put yourself in a position where you think "if only I had bothered to check on him/her".
    7. Wear fewer cardigans.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    1.Don't drink beer in the afternoon.
    2. Take you cardy off, wear a tank top instead.
  • Options
    Come and sit next to me at work. Air con is bloody freezing !
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Paraphrasing my favourite Viz Top Tip ever:

"Mothers - during the summer weather your child will often ask you for ice lollies. If one should unfortunately become lodged in his throat - obstructing his airway - don't panic. Simply pour boiling water down the child's throat - this will melt the ice and cause the flow of air to pass normally again"
  • Options
    I always liked the one about not being able to find your car in a crowded car park.
    Before you leave the car park let down all your tyres. When you return, assuming others haven't done the same, your car will be the lowest one in the car park.
  • Options
    Take a holiday in Prague. We are having a completely shite summer.But don't bring your cardie if you want to impress with the legendary Czech tottie :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Go out on the sauce two nights in a row.

You'll encounter a remarkable cold front the minute you (eventually) walk through the front door....
  • Options
    You asked for it, Henry!

The most simple one is to drink water, lots of it. If you're condemned to being hot for whatever reason it counteracts dehydration and its effects and you'll sweat most of it out rather than keeping needing to pee!

Next most sensible one must be to stay out of direct sunlight - you can stave off the effects of heat but direct sunlight is more damaging.

If you're drinking alcohol drink water alongside it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You cant go wrong with a nice pair of speedo's, patterned one's nice and tight, not only will you feel cool but you will look cool too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bloodnut[/cite]You cant go wrong with a nice pair of speedo's, patterned one's nice and tight, not only will you feel cool but you will look cool too.
    Be a bit more responsible about posting these tips in future. If I'd taken your tip at face value I'd have been done for indecent exposure. They'd disappear up the crack of my arse and under my beer gut - it'd look like I was nekkid.
  • Options
    B&q have a really good aircon unit on sale (179 from 279) which I bought to keep my babys room cool as we live on the English riviera in Essex and there's no breeze.

Doesn't help being a fat bastard - which I am

walk around nekkid

thank me later
  • Options
    Try going round and round on the circle line for a couple of hours....when you get out and get back up to street level it will feel delightfully cool in comparison and you'll be able to spend the rest of the day nicely relaxed and chilled out, as well as having an air of complete superiority over your fellow citizens.
  • Options
    Leroy to much info there fella.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bloodnut[/cite]You cant go wrong with a nice pair of speedo's, patterned one's nice and tight, not only will you feel cool but you will look cool too.
    Be a bit more responsible about posting these tips in future. If I'd taken your tip at face value I'd have been done for indecent exposure. They'd disappear up the crack of my arse and under my beer gut - it'd look like I was nekkid.

I stand by what i said, only people in the know can appreciate the value of such a fashion accessory in hot weather.
  • Options
    The Doctor bloke on GMTV said to spray your bed sheets with water!!!

Try explaining that if your partner gets into bed after you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Come and sit next to me at work. Air con is bloody freezing !
    Same here, had to remember to pack my cardigan (I wear one too!!) so I don't freeze. Completely freaked me out when I went outside and nearly melted :-)

Keeping your curtains closed keeps the sun out and keeps rooms cooler. I have left mine closed at home so will be lovely and cool this evening when I get in from sweating on the train for an hour and then walking face on to the sun for 20 mins.
  • Options
    You Pussies!

Its 48C here today, even the aircon in the car struggles in that!

I find Ice tea work best to cool me down though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: All_Thaid_Up[/cite]You Pussies!

Its 48C here today, even the aircon in the car struggles in that!

I find Ice tea work best to cool me down though.

48C In Thailand today?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No I am in Kuwait
  • Options
    Treat yourself to a nice Panama hat.

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Monte_Cristi_Panama_Hats-c34.aspx
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]Treat yourself to a nice Panama hat.

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Monte_Cristi_Panama_Hats-c34.aspx

Great idea!

Being a saddo and curious, I actually clicked on your link.

How much? You're having a laugh.
    £195 was the cheapest ...... and the 'Superfine' was £685 !!!

They're a bit cheaper in the Pound Shop .....lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Any practical or Viz type tips for coping with the hottest July since 2006?

How can it be the hottest July since 2006? It's still June.
  • Options
    Stick your wrists under cold running tap water.

Might find they go a bit limp....
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    get ice cubes
    drill holes in them
    hang them off your hat
    as they melt the air round your head will be cooler
    your shirt will be wet from the drips --thus also aiding cooling.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]get ice cubes
    drill holes in them
    hang them off your hat
    as they melt the air round your head will be cooler
    your shirt will be wet from the drips --thus also aiding cooling.

OK, gave it a go and I agree it works, not a bad idea ... but far too many wet patches on my trousers ... probably won't bother again ...

... and the icecubes melt too quickly.

;-)