Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any interview tips?

Got a big day on Friday, been working on a contract basis since returning to the UK but being interviewed for a permanent position that I really need to get. Four of us up for it and (as an 'internal' candidate) I've got a fair chance providing I don't mess up. Never been very happy being an internal candidate before so if anyone has any tips or killer questions to ask them I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Prepare some good questions about the role to ask yourself to show interest and ensure that the questions demonstrate your knowledge.

If asked about any negative spin it into a positive e.g. tell me one weakness you have - I am a bit of a perfectionist (if relevant) and try not to be as corny as I have just been.

As an internal candidate if you are being interviewed by people you know, don't assume they know stuff about you, a) they might not know certain things and b) you need to say them within the confines of the interview for them to be taken into consideration - consider yourself and external candidate almost.

Finally a friend of mine was asked at the end of an interview if there was anything else she would like to share so she sang a song - she got the job (although this is probably a 1 in a million shot so only use if it is going totally Pete Tony).
  • get on your hands and knees and.................................... beg.
  • Sit up straight, have a shave, do your top button up and dont slouch in your chair. Get a good nights sleep the night before so you are not yawning, and give yourself plenty of time to arrive at the interview. If you are early only actually go in 10 minutes early so you dont disrupt the interviewers schedule. Know the role inside out before the interview and have an answer that explains why you are the best candidate. Be confident without seeming arrogant, dont interrupt. Dont chew gum.

Do those all right and you'll be getting there!
  • I've just been asked to change my interview time to accomodate one of the other candidates who's travelling down from up North. Told 'em to go find some other sucker prepared to roll over for them and that if the numpty can't be bothered to make the effort to get to the interview on time they can't want the job that much*

* I didn't really of course, I was my usual helpful self.
  • You are obviously going to be asked a lot of questions and getting in some practice at answering them will ensure that you sound confident in yourself.
    eg:
    Tell me something about yourself?
    Why did you leave your last job?
    What major challenges and problems did you face in your last job? How did you handle them?
    What do you know about us (and specifically the job itself)?
    What was your biggest career accomplishment/failure?
    What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Develop some answers that sound coherent and that you can back up with some facts, preferably choose examples that demonstrate that you are a team player.

Good luck...
  • As its an internal interview they will know alot about you already. think of some jobs,projects,tasks etc that you have done in the past that are relevant to the job your going for but they may not know about.
  • Have a ponder about what you - as an internal candidate - might know or be able to do easier/quicker than an external. Maybe not say it directly but you could drop things in like, "I'm already trained on XYZ system and have been using it daily for six months". Generally back everything up with examples.

Don't use the "we" word. Tell the interviewer what part you were responsible for and highlight where you took responsibility/initiative

Use solid examples of what you've done (particularly that they might be aware of) in terms of what the interviewers will understand. So if you're interviewed by someone from HR don't blind them with technical details that they can't understand (most of them barely understand HR). So stick with things like I did Z and it now only takes half as long to do this job, which has saved us X £/per year.

On the tell me one negative about yourself mentioned by Maglore, I always try and bring up something that is resolved e.g. I can struggle with juggling dozens of priorities at once, but I have recently done a time management course and use Outlook's task manager and I've really seen that improve (give exmples).

Being a dirty MeganFoxalike will probably help, too.
  • In my expereience internal candidates tend to assume that the interviewers know all about them and do not sell themselves. So approach the interview as if you were an external candidate, do research on the company and the new role and make sure you tell them how good you are
    Good Luck
  • Be confident and for the love of god don't take their offer of a glass of water, that shows weakness!
  • As for killer questions to ask them...don't be afraid to ask what they think of your candidacy. That will put them on the spot. Also ask what the process is - i.e. a second interview or whatever and ask if you qualify for that stage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ask them what happened to the person who was in the job last.
  • I had no idea who megan Fox was until My 11 year old told me how hot she was before watching Transformers the other night.....

Back to the thread.....do what most people seem to do .....lie....oops, you cant as its an internal job...seriously though...good luck.
  • Turn your French venture into a positive in that you are not afraid to take evaluated risks and try something new.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]As for killer questions to ask them...don't be afraid to ask what they think of your candidacy. That will put them on the spot. Also ask what the process is - i.e. a second interview or whatever and ask if you qualify for that stage.

I think you may have been a recruiter BFR...

Open a forum with that question (what do you think of my candidacy)so they can voice there views of you and also allow you to overcome anything they are not sure of....

Also have EVIDENCE of things you have achieved as in a prject that was successfully completed and what money that made the company.... people you have trained, measurable performance information... stuff they can make a finacial decision on....

and then at the end look them in the eye and say "if you give me this opportunity..... I will not let you down.." and let it sit...

Good luck....
  • Cheers for all your help, advice and best wishes everyone. Will let you know how I get on over the weekend.
  • [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]Sit up straight, have a shave, do your top button up and dont slouch in your chair. Get a good nights sleep the night before so you are not yawning, and give yourself plenty of time to arrive at the interview. If you are early only actually go in 10 minutes early so you dont disrupt the interviewers schedule. Know the role inside out before the interview and have an answer that explains why you are the best candidate. Be confident without seeming arrogant, dont interrupt. Dont chew gum.

Do those all right and you'll be getting there!

Ditto and I'd add;

- wear a new white shirt (buy one)
    - a conservative suit and matching tie
    - ensure your shoes are highly polished
    - in short, make sure they know you have made a special effort despite being the internal candidate
    - be very honest and be prepared to make heartfelt statements (avoid the tendency to try and give them the answer the think they might want to hear - it never sounds sincere)
    - if there's something you think they would want to hear (the party line/market spiel) but you don't necessarily agree, then say "I suspect you'd like to hear me say....." just to let them know that you understand the issue but then qualify your own opinion.
    - don't be shy about telling them how much you want the job at the end, what you could bring to it and that they won't regret there decision if you are successful. Apart from the fact that this is your chance to tell them, it also leaves it unsaid that you would be disappointed if you don't get it as the internal candidate.

Good luck!
  • Do you have to give a presentation about yourself or the job/role? If so, what will make you stand out, look different to all the other candidates and their probable material/approach? If you have to explain how you will do/approach the job, use good previous experience so it becomes a living story on how you achieved x, y and z and how this is directly transferable into the new role. Cheesy as you like but anything on challenges to company or you, bung in a SWOT analysis. Its very Martin Lukes, but done properly is quite effective.
    Give them a copy of the presentation, neatly bound in a folder with your CV.

Anyway, best of luck!
  • edited June 2009
    All of the above plus make and maintain eye contact with your interviewers and a good strong handshake at the start and 'pleased to meet you' is always a good start and first impressions may count. When leaving say 'nice to have met you and hope to see you again soon' or words to that effect. All little things but could be the difference between a yes and no. Good luck...
  • If you are struggling for questions at the end Itend to just turn a couple of questions that I was asked during the interview around on the interviewer...ie if they said "what makes you the ideal candidate for the job", then you can ask "what do you think makes the ideal candidate for the job at the end...the good thing about it is that if they mention something you didn't think of but are capable of then you can go on to give some more examples.

But I think the most important is to be confident without being arofant - sometimes a hard balance but def the way forwards.
  • When you're called in to the room from the waiting area, as you walk to the place, take some measured deep breaths to slow your heart rate a little and settle yourself, try to relax by hunching up your shoulders to your ears and then letting them down and relaxed while clenching your fists hard and then letting your hands go loose....you may not settle your mind, but you can help your body.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't ask the panel 'where do you sit', as if the stickied thread is anything to go by, the majority of people are unprepared to tell you ! :-)
  • Just try to relax and enjoy the experience...and most important be confident. Do some prep work, learn as much as you can about the company/department before you get in there.

I think the best bit of advice I was given over the years was at the end of an interview, similar to valleyman above, you should say to the interviewers something like "Is there anything I havent covered or do you have any reservations that I couldnt do the job?". Turns it around on them, shows you've got confidence and then it gives you a clue to how they are thinking. If they open up a little, maybe suggesting a few things that might be bugging them about you, then you get another chance to put their mind at rest and chuck in a few more examples.

Since I got told that one, 3 out of the 4 interviewers have taken the bate and I've been able to give further information and I've been offered 4 jobs out of 4... before that, I was something like a 2 in 50 success rate (going back as far as 16 for my job interview for the Co-op then my first proper job out of Uni!)
  • do a few meaningless interviews first to build some confidence, practice makes perfect
  • Don't get drunk tonight.
  • I'd be cacking myself, havn't had an interview for over 21 years. I think the only question I was asked was 'when can you start?' Monday? 'Congratulations, you've got the job'.

good luck anyway, rather you than me.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I'd be cacking myself

That did make me laugh Large but I'm not quite at that stage yet. I haven't slept a wink for 48 hours now though so should be nice & fresh for Friday. Not.

I'm liking the turning it back on to them type question to come clean about any doubts about me though - good work people!
  • Don't you lot want to know how I got on then?

I was going to post last night but I was a bit pished when I got in because....I GOT THE JOB!!!

BIG, BIG thanks to everyone on here who took the trouble to post or send me their gems, tips and clever questions - wasn't the greatest interview I've ever done, due to importance of the situation I think, but I was still by far the best on the day (apparently) so some of it must have sunk in. The look on their faces when I asked them if they had any reservations about my abilities that I hadn't addressed well enough during the interview was priceless - don't think they'd heard that before.

Wey hey! The sun is out, I've got a 'proper' job, Charlton won't lose this weekend and I'm off on hol's next week too so this is turning out to be a blinding week all round.
  • Well done BA ;
    Beers on you at the pre-season..................
  • Congratulations
  • Congratulations - nice to hear some good news!!