Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's good enough?

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
Right now, here, in the depths to which Charlton have plummeted over three years, it's easy to look at what's happening (or, indeed not happening) and decide, "it's not good enough". It is a fairly unversally held view that it's not good enough that Charlton haven't announced who the manager is; it's not good enough that we don't know any more detail about potential takeovers; it's not good enough that we haven't announced major signings; and it's not good enough that we appear to have let players (Ambrose, others?) leave.

But what would be good enough next season? Is a division-winning season the least we should expect? Is promotion (either top-two or via Wembley) good enough? Would a season-long, competitive challenge, culminating in an upper-half finish, but with passionate, "proper" Charlton players, no (or very few) loanees, coupled with stability in the boadroom and a healthier balance sheet be good enough?

What's the very least that could be regarded as good enough from Charlton in 2009/10?

(For me, while I am looking forward to next season and eagerly anticipating a promotion charge, I am begining to think that a competitive season, with a settled board, team and fan-base and no need to sell top players would be higher on my list, than a promotion-push at any cost season)

Comments

• Options
    To not get relegated again
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]To not get relegated again
    2nded
  • Options
    I want to win the league, simple as that. I feel i deserve it as a supporter, and as a club what we should be aiming for at this level.
  • Options
    League winners
  • Options
    Interesting post Chizz.

Personally, i don't think its possible to form a decisive view as yet, far too many questions that need answers for now.
  • Options
    sorry, the rot HAS to be stopped now....anything other than at least the play-offs will be failure and to be honest we really need to be in that top 2.
  • Options
    If we get your 3rd option, I'll be happy. That's all I ever want to see, a team of players trying hard and looking like they know what the're doing - ideally with a couple of flair(ish) player mixed in to entertain a little. If that means we're good enough to win stuff then great, but if not I don't mind because at least I know I'll enjoy my Saturday afternoons and won't come away from games feeling humiliated. Obviously the higher the level we can achieve that the better, because it means better players overall, but if all we can afford right now is League 1 then Ill settle for that as long as we're decent by league 1 standards.
  • Options
    Anything other than promotion should be deemed as a failure next season.
  • Options
    I think to play attractive attacking football, not give up if/when we go a goal down, to look like we are playing with some kind of coherent plan and get promoted.
  • Options
    assuming parky is in charge and we don't get any sort of cash injection then i think promotion is the aim but not the expectation. if things pan out how i expect them to with players leaving and who we can afford to bring in then i'd say playoffs would be good enough for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In Reality anything other than Promotion for a Club of our Size/Stature would be failure next year. However, depending on how things pan out over next couple of weeks will give you a tell tale sign of where the club are going & what direction we will be heading.
  • Options
    Exactly what Ketman said....
  • Options
    Parky taking us to promotion is good enough.
  • Options
    Play offs as a minimum, dont expect or believe we should walk the league, but anything less than play offs (or even to contend for them) would be a huge, huge disappointment.
  • Options
    Not expecting miracles. A decent home record. To leave the Valley at 4.50 with a smile on my face for a change and looking forward to the next match not dreading it.
  • Options
    To sort the club out properly with no quick fixes.

And a good run in the JPT!
  • Options
    Apart from selling their star striker, you'd think Leeds finally have the stability and best resources to be a shoe-in this year. Norwich and Southampton are in a worse state financially and probably have weaker squads despite finishing above us. I'd write them off. So between us, MK Dons, Huddersfield and perhaps a high achiever for the 2nd slot. Looking at those names, unless our squad is again decimated by forced sales, anything other than top four is a failure.
  • Options
    A coherent manager with proper team selection, something more adventurous than 4-5-1 at home to Carlisle and spirited team performances that beat others than those relegated and a decent shout at the play offs. A huge ask for the current manager, I know, but can only be optimistic.
  • Options
    As one of the 'Big Four' of division 3, I expect promotion to be our aim. For me, to redeem the disappointment of the last 3 seasons would be winning the league, but I'd take second place......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bloodnut[/cite]I want to win the league, simple as that. I feel i deserve it as a supporter, and as a club what we should be aiming for at this level.
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]level

[cite]Posted By: SaySomething[/cite]As one of the 'Big Four' of division 3, I expect promotion to be our aim. For me, to redeem the disappointment of the last 3 seasons would be winning the league, but I'd take second place......

I agree all three of these!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Expectations have to change as the club’s status does, that’s just the reality of football and its up and down cycles. A solid stable season with firm and sound foundations being implemented by the club for future growth. As for the team, I think signs of positive progress i.e. not relegation and perhaps challenging for promotion, although this depends on the what happens over the coming month or two in regards to what players remain, go or come in.
  • Options
    Avoid relegation again.
  • Options
    I feel that a position in the top 6 for the majority (hopefully for that vital part of the season near the end) of the season can be reasonably expected, I expect the attitude within the team, management, board and of course fans to be one of pushing for promotion, anything less is failure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Avoid relegation again.

you won't be complaining about parky if we finish outside the relegation zone then?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nothing less than the total desctruction of everybody we play this season will be good enough....however back in the real world the least i'd expect is play offs..or am i expecting too much?
  • Options
    I am assuming that avoiding relegation will be the limit of what Parkinson could achieve. So to wriggle a little.....avoid relegation with Parkinson in charge, mid-table obscurity with a Goat in charge, and top places with a half-way decent manager in charge.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]I am assuming that avoiding relegation will be the limit of what Parkinson could achieve. So to wriggle a little.....avoid relegation with Parkinson in charge, mid-table obscurity with a Goat in charge, and top places with a half-way decent manager in charge.

lol, so if we finish say 12th then you'll be applauding parkinson for his super-human effort in relation to his own ability?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Apart from selling their star striker, you'd think Leeds finally have the stability and best resources to be a shoe-in this year. Norwich and Southampton are in a worse state financially and probably have weaker squads despite finishing above us. I'd write them off. So between us, MK Dons, Huddersfield and perhaps a high achiever for the 2nd slot. Looking at those names, unless our squad is again decimated by forced sales, anything other than top four is a failure.

Ridsdale ripped Leeds apart and at the same time we were allegedly a "well run club" yet Leeds are better off than us it would appear.

How so?

I guess it must be because they went into administation and "lost" all the Ridsdale induced debt (or most of it) as a result.

Not sure it would be a good idea for us to go into administration though.
  • Options
    As AFKA ays until we know what is happening it is difficult to be too strong on expectations. We are one of the big clubs in this division, but we were when relegated to the Championship, big club status is about reputation not the facts.

As we stand today, then I would be happy if we were in the top 10, and there were clear indications that we had turned the corner. Next season we will be everybodies FA Cup Final, so it is going to be tough and I ma not sure our current squad is up to it - mentally more than physically. A strong home record and drive and passion being shown from the team. I want to enjoy going to the Valley, which I has not happened consistently for about 5 years, even during Curbs's last few seasons, except he perfected the art of not entertaining, but not losing.

I want the club that got promoted to the Prem 10 years ago, where we all knew where we were going, what was happening and even on those few things that were going wrong or we did not agree with we were told why they were happening.

Before we can get it right on the park we are going o have to get it right in the board room and that is where next seasons achievement of "Good enough" starts
  • Options
    That's a good, sensible way to see things i think, Kap.

I hope that fans see we're not going to walk this league just because of where we were a few years ago. That could create a very difficult atmosphere at the valley next season.