Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Owen "sales brochure"

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
Owen ready for Newcastle exit

A sales brochure for a footballer, I didn’t know that kind of thing went on!

Interesting insight into how business is done, and into how players don’t always get the recovery time and expert medical attention needed within clubs.

Reading his medical review, John Green is pretty cutting about Newcastle:

“Michael…should have a specific Programme designed to maintain and enhance his speed…and I have offered to work with the club to implement this, but the constantly changing medical infrastructure at Newcastle have made liaison difficult at times.”

“He should have been gently re-introduced into training but, unfortunately, this did not happen…he then sustained a calf strain having been told to complete a bleep test on the first morning of pre-season training! This caused Michael to miss the first two games of the season.”

Even at Real and during his injury affected seasons, his goals to games ratio has always been pretty much 1:3. Still a class apart with the right service. Along with Beckham, exactly the kind of role model I'd want for my son.

Comments

• Options
    I thought came across as a complete tosser on SSN yesterday.

Whoring himself around.

No class.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]I thought came across as a complete tosser on SSN yesterday.

Whoring himself around.

No class.

Beckhams made a career of it.
  • Options
    What's the bloke supposed to do?
  • Options
    Just goes to prove he had no intention of staying at Newcastle, even if they had stayed up, as you dont put something like that together overnight.

I thinks its crass personally.
  • Options
    If you'd seen the interview CFW you'd know what I mean.

Really pathetic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]What's the bloke supposed to do?

Help the Geordies try and gain promotion?
    He took the money for long enough.
    Have the decency to be part of their fight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]What's the bloke supposed to do?

Help the Geordies try and gain promotion?
    He took the money for long enough.
    Have the decency to be part of their fight.

He's out of contract and presumably Newcastle have no intention of offering him one. Therefore he is free to go. Don't see what the problem is.
  • Options
    He was pretending that he's still a Newcastle player and how hes had great years there. Was bloody pathetic.

Has lost all credibility in my eyes.
  • Options
    There always were mutterings that Owen was only really bothered about his England career, and he never seemed very committed to Newcastle.

I always thought once his pace went he wouldn't have a lot to offer and thats how its turned out.
  • Options
    All players / agents play the game and we all know that.

However he was just plain embaressing.

His management should never have let the interview go out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If he had an ounce of decency, he'd stay for at least one year on a reduced salary and try and get them back up. It's the least he could do after all the money they've paid him and the amount of games he's played.
  • Options
    He wants out, he seen the new away kit.
  • Options
    If we can get Cabrini to sponsor them, that will be the worst kit ever.

Owen is living proof that playing too many games too early in your career will shorten it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]If he had an ounce of decency, he'd stay for at least one year on a reduced salary and try and get them back up. It's the least he could do after all the money they've paid him and the amount of games he's played.

Exactly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]If he had an ounce of decency, he'd stay for at least one year on a reduced salary and try and get them back up. It's the least he could do after all the money they've paid him and the amount of games he's played.
    Exactly.
    Why should he? If you were working for a hopeless employer, with fat idiotic customers who would constantly stand outside your place of work telling you how the place should be run and a rash of overpaid poor quality colleagues and had to put up with a series of line managers who had no ability to do their japart from "passion") would you feel you needed to take a pay-cut and show "loyalty"? Injuries aside, his scoring record isn't bad for them. They should never have signed him for stupid money given his issues, but they're hopeless.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]ould he? If you were working for a hopeless employer, with fat idiotic customers who would constantly stand outside your place of work telling you how the place should be run and a rash of overpaid poor quality colleagues and had to put up with a series of line managers who had no ability to do their japart from "passion") would you feel you needed to take a pay-cut and show "loyalty"? Injuries aside, his scoring record isn't bad for them. They should never have signed him for stupid money given his issues, but they're hopeless.

I agree, don't see why he should stay with Newcastle. His contract has expired, he's free to talk to other clubs and see what his options are.

Newcastle are in a mess, he's honoured his contract, why should he show loyalty to them? He's been there four years, they aren't the club he supports.

They signed him from Real Madrid, he was England's best goalscorer at the time, of course he'd be on high wages. Why should his high wages mean he should help them get back up? Newcastle chose to offer him those wages.

In the end there are plenty of other people involved with Newcastle, not just players, that are to blame. Owen is a long way down the list.
  • Options
    Why should he show them loyalty?
    Forget the management, what about the hard working supporters who have paid his excessive wages for god knows how long?
    Would another year, on a lesser salary be too much to ask?
    Not everything in life should be about money.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]Why should he show them loyalty?
    Forget the management, what about the hard working supporters who have paid his excessive wages for god knows how long?

What about his England place?

I suspect that getting back in the England side means a lot to Owen, especally with a world cup next summer. No chance of that if he's playing in the Championship!
  • Options
    Perhaps he should have thought about that before he buggered off to Spain.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]Perhaps he should have thought about that before he buggered off to Spain.
    I'd suggest that playing for the biggest club in the world in one of the best leagues in Europe is seen, by most football folk as a bit different to playing in the Championship.

I think you're also assuming that they want to keep him. If he took a 20% paycut they might still not want him. If it was an 80% paycut they would, sure. But it's easy to suggest other folk should take paycuts, but most of us would be outraged if our employer asked us to take a 10pc paycut to help them out.

Newcastle as a club asked him to work for them for 4 years. He did that. I'm stuggling to see the disloyalty.

That said the brochure is hilarious: if it hadn't been for his spell in Madrid and his injury he'd be considered as good as Torres or Cronaldo is massive wishful thinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]Why should he show them loyalty?

Of course he could afford it, but what I'm saying is why should he?

It's not about money at all, I'm saying why should he play for Newcastle next season over any other club? He's not done anything disloyal.

Why can't he assess his options and choose who he would like to play for? He has no reason to stay at Newcastle, why can't he move on and sign for a club in a higher division?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]Perhaps he should have thought about that before he buggered off to Spain.

What was wrong with him signing for Real Madrid? He thought he had a good chance of playing regularly for them, don't see what's wrong with that either.
  • Options
    I just have him down as a greedy bastard who (i believe) owe's the geordies something.
    Lets not relate his pay to mine please, nor his job for that matter.
  • Options

Er..................Real Madrid arguably the Worlds biggest club !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Newcastle United are a total shambles end of.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]

Er..................Real Madrid arguably the Worlds biggest club !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh what a season he had there.
    Bit part player, whilst Liverpool went on to be champions of europe.
    I feel that for some time he has not had the enthusiasm or hunger for the game.
    This has led him down the greedy bastard route.
    And for that reason I feel he owes Newcastle.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]I just have him down as a greedy bastard who (i believe) owe's the geordies something.
    Lets not relate his pay to mine please, nor his job for that matter.

Why is he greedy? Because he didn't turn down Real Madrid?

He could have stayed in Spain, sat on the bench, collected his wage, enjoyed the weather over there. That would have been far greedier than coming back to English football to secure a place in the World Cup squad.

As for his season at Real, he has a good goalscoring record there, maybe no one can say he was fantastic, but he didn't do badly at all.
  • Options
    24 starts for Real Madrid and 16 goals. Was thier top goalscorer that season I believe?

I don't see what all the fuss is about. He is at Newcastle United, contract is up and wants to leave...!

IMO he is still one of the best finishers about.. he has an excellent chance conversion rate, which is what being a striker is all about, scoring goals.
    Everyone saying he has lost it yet still managed to be Newcastles top scorer last season.

Hang on a minute... Owen.. proven goalscorer.. out of contract.. charlton have no money... owen on a free transfer.... DOH! Forgot we're in league 1.
  • Options
    I think he was sold to Madrid rather than him actually wanting to leave Liverpool.
  • Options
    Agree with Robbo. Greedy little basta**. Him and Harry Kewell biggest piss takers of all time the money they have trousered from pockets of supporters for games played (soon got fit when contracts were nearly up).

Hull & Stoke interested. HAHA says it all!