Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premium Lager

I like a Peroni but it's £4.10 a pint! Is it genuinely imported from Italy? Leffe is the sa,e price (£3.80 in the Park Tavern) with a kick like a mule and a decent flavour. Leffe seems better value to me.

Interested to see what others think.

Comments

• Options
    don't offer the barman a pint of what he wants...
  • Options
    Peroni is shite. The best Italian beer by far is Moretti la Rossa - Its got a beautiful taste, goes down really smoothly and is 7% but you're unlikely to find it on tap anywhere in Britain.

I'm with you on leffe though - now THAT is an awesome blond beer - still the best I've ever tasted.

I still like Staropramen on tap - its becoming more common now as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Peroni is shite. The best Italian beer by far is Moretti la Rossa - Its got a beautiful taste, goes down really smoothly and is 7% but you're unlikely to find it on tap anywhere in Britain.

I'm with you on leffe though - now THAT is an awesome blond beer - still the best I've ever tasted.

Moretti is by far the best Italian larger (but lets face it not much competition), but leffe the best beer, its not even the best trappist beer (infact its not a true trappist beer in any way, more of an imposter!!), try looking for grimbergen or chimey, now they are good beers leffe blonde is far too over rated (the brun is alot betta, although not often served in the uk)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    We were drinking a Japanese lager on sunday, Asiahi (I think) it was called? 5% and lovely it was too

By the way it was on draught. :)
  • Options
    The first tip is to look at the label and see where its brewed. This is easy for home shopping, but rather more tricky down the boozer. You've got a far better chance of getting the genuine article if it says brewed in Italy (or wherever) than if it just says brewed in the EU or, the real givaway, "brewed under licence". Its hard to keep tabs on who does what as well, as the big chains a prone to swap brands around like little kids playing Top Trumps. I know that a few years ago Cobra was exactly the same beer, brewed in exactly the same Edinburgh factory, as Tennents Extra (it might still be for all I know). But because people were duped into thinking that it came from India there was a 75% premium to pay just for having a picture of a snake on the label. Whatever the source of your beer, my guess is that if its £4.10 a pint you're being ripped off. But surely the imporatant thing is whether you like it or not. Ultimately its just a drink, what counts is what it tastes like, not the name on it or the place it was brewed. On the Leffe v Peroni question I agree the Leffe seems better value. Can't disagree with the others though that Brun is better than Blonde, but that the Chimays of this world are better still.
  • Options
    remember all the different bottled beers and cans from around the world you could get in the old 'trading post' bexleyheath ... some of them were awful
  • Options
    for those of you who drink at home, Aldi, in Bexleyheath has a superb range of imported lagers (Belgian, Polish, etc), ales and ciders, all at knock down prices.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Peroni is shite. The best Italian beer by far is Moretti la Rossa - Its got a beautiful taste, goes down really smoothly and is 7% but you're unlikely to find it on tap anywhere in Britain.

Moretti is by far the best Italian larger (but lets face it not much competition), but leffe the best beer, its not even the best trappist beer (infact its not a true trappist beer in any way, more of an imposter!!), try looking for grimbergen or chimey, now they are good beers leffe blonde is far too over rated (the brun is alot betta, although not often served in the uk)
    I'd say Messina is better, though it sends me mental. Moretti's Baffo d'Oro is absolutely fantastic and regular (cheaper) Peroni are also better than the Peroni sold here (Nastro Azzuro). Overpriced crap being dumped on the British market.? Makes a change.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite] Overpriced crap being dumped on the British market.? Makes a change.

Surely not ...?

When you consider how discerning the British lager drinker actually is?

Carling, Heineken, Stella, Krony ......... it's quality stuff, served so cold you can't actually taste it, lol
    Which is probably just as well.
  • Options
    koppaberg pear cider - drink of the month.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]koppaberg pear cider - drink of the month.

"Pear Cider" - there's no such thing, it's like calling wine "grape beer".

I imagine the marketing chaps confronting a focus group of Big Brother fans, and asking them what Perry is and getting blank looks back...
  • Options

i'm with you on the Staropramen. On it last night in the Kings Arms (Southwark).
  • Options
    Support your local Costcutter!!

Get 6 cans of 500ml Stella Artois brewed in Levan from you local Costcutter for £5.50. Drink them, go to bed, wake up- feel fine.
    Go to Sainsburys or Tesco etc, get six cans of 440ml "Stella Artios" Manufactured, not brewed, under licence by Interbrew UK for about £7. Drink them, go to bed, wake up and then not only do you have to worry about the invisible axe in your head but also where did the Mrs get that lovely shiner from??!
    UK "Lager" is shit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]

I imagine the marketing chaps confronting a focus group of Big Brother fans, and asking them what Perry is and getting blank looks back...

call it what you want. still drink of the month.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]

you get koppaberg at the standard so you can hope its still drink of august for the first game.
  • Options
    Leffe Blond is the best drink ever, but be very careful when drinking it
  • Options

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Support your local Costcutter!!

Get 6 cans of 500ml Stella Artois brewed in Levan from you local Costcutter for £5.50. Drink them, go to bed, wake up- feel fine.
    Go to Sainsburys or Tesco etc, get six cans of 440ml "Stella Artios" Manufactured, not brewed, under licence by Interbrew UK for about £7. Drink them, go to bed, wake up and then not only do you have to worry about the invisible axe in your head but also where did the Mrs get that lovely shiner from??!
    UK "Lager" is shit.

Exactly, Chirpy.

UK manufacturers pep up their cocktail of chemicals with anti-freeze ....... and call it premium lager.
    That's what gives you the banging headache and 'lager tummy' the next morning.

Any similarity with brewed lager is merely co-incidental.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]

you get koppaberg at the standard so you can hope its still drink of august for the first game.

i think the anchor will be pub of the month for august although i fancy the standard for the rest of the season. not sure i'll be sipping 'pear' cider through the winter though.
  • Options
    I lived with my momma,
    'til I was sixteen,
    Old time religion,
    The sweetest of dreams,
    And now that I'm aging,
    In conscience is dim,
    In my left hand the Bible,
    In my right an old purple tin

I went to the doctor,
    'cause I was unwell,
    He said "My Boy,
    You all shot to hell.
    I'm gon' write you a prescription,
    For some pure heroin"
    But I traded that sucker,
    For a 6 pack of that old purple tin

The old purple tin,
    The old purple tin,
    Sweet testament Lord,
    To the state that I'm in,
    I've drunk it all day,
    And I've drunk it all night,
    The old purple tin,
    Oh Lord, lights up my life

I am in prison,
    The light never shines,
    I can't see my Bible,
    So dark is the night,
    I'm waiting for letters,
    That never get sent,
    All my brothers and sister,
    On the corner with that old purple tin

The old purple tin,
    The old purple tin,
    [Sing it now]
    Sweet testament Lord,
    [Sweet 9% Lord]
    I have drunk it all day,
    I have drunk it all night,
    The old purple tin,
    It lights up my life,
    It lights up my life,
    Lights up my life.

Good night Larry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2009

I wasn't blaming you for it Les, it's not your fault they are idiots...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]I lived with my momma,
    'til I was sixteen,
    Old time religion,
    The sweetest of dreams,
    And now that I'm aging,
    In conscience is dim,
    In my left hand the Bible,
    In my right an old purple tin

I went to the doctor,
    'cause I was unwell,
    He said "My Boy,
    You all shot to hell.
    I'm gon' write you a prescription,
    For some pure heroin"
    But I traded that sucker,
    For a 6 pack of that old purple tin

The old purple tin,
    The old purple tin,
    Sweet testament Lord,
    I've drunk it all day,
    And I've drunk it all night,
    The old purple tin,

I am in prison,
    The light never shines,
    I can't see my Bible,
    So dark is the night,
    I'm waiting for letters,
    That never get sent,
    All my brothers and sister,
    On the corner with that old purple tin

The old purple tin,
    The old purple tin,
    [Sing it now]
    Sweet testament Lord,
    [Sweet 9% Lord]
    I have drunk it all day,
    I have drunk it all night,
    The old purple tin,
    It lights up my life,
    It lights up my life,
    Lights up my life.

Good night Larry.

Super, super tin, super, super tin, super, super tin, super Tennent's Super (repeat until you fall over or throw up)