Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Stig is...

.. Michael Schumacher. Apparently.

Comments

• Options
    WTF ?
  • Options
    who cares?
  • Options
    If you believe it was him the whole time, quite frankly, you're an idiot.
  • Options
    I'm Stig
    (& so's my wife!).
  • Options
    Slightly less glamourous

The stig is?
  • Options
    Sorry guys dont mean to be a know it all...far from it - however ive had the pleasure of a evening with the Stig...or one of them whist on a cruise on honeymoon. Perry Mcarthy - was apparently the original - he also has a book if you want to take a gander - cant remember the name although i should really get it because this guy was extremely interesting..

I digress,,,

The "Stig" is apparently several (and some well known) drivers - although Perry would not say if schumy was in fact one of them he did categorically confirm that Damian Hill has never been the Stig.

This guy has been on the fringe of formula one and he reckons the best driver in the world is none other than Lewis Hamilton.....

BTW my Mrs drives my Evo and she thinks shes the Stig
  • Options
    The Stig thing is a good idea that overcame a production problem. Some of the cars that get lent to the programme can only be driven by a driver attached to that manufacturer for insurance/technical reasons. So being able to cover that driver in suit and helmet overcomes the problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: folder[/cite]Sorry guys dont mean to be a know it all...far from it - however ive had the pleasure of a evening with the Stig...or one of them whist on a cruise on honeymoon. Perry Mcarthy - was apparently the original - he also has a book if you want to take a gander - cant remember the name although i should really get it because this guy was extremely interesting..

That is true folder, my boss is a petrol head, and he used to have a ramped up vxr (mental version of the Vauxhall vx 220, and i mean mental slick tyres the lot 350bhp in a car smaller than a cereal bowl!) and was at a track day once and Perry drove his car round the track with him sitting next to him, and indeed perry was the first ever stig.
  • Options
    It's also been a chap called Ben Collins at some point
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: folder[/cite]Sorry guys dont mean to be a know it all...far from it - however ive had the pleasure of a evening with the Stig...

That's funny, my wife has had a few evenings in the company of the Stig.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]If you believe it was him the whole time, quite frankly, you're an idiot.

wind your neck in geez -
  • Options
    My wife works in motorsport, F1 as one of the main sponsors to one of the, english teams, and has met the stig. he is not michael schumacher, but is english.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]The Stig thing is a good idea that overcame a production problem. Some of the cars that get lent to the programme can only be driven by a driver attached to that manufacturer for insurance/technical reasons. So being able to cover that driver in suit and helmet overcomes the problem.

Is the correct answer.

From what I've been told 'The Stig' has been...

Perry Mcarthy
    Johnny Herbert
    Fabrizio Giovanardi
    Luca Badoer
    Giorgio Sanna
    Addickted
    plus others at various times.

Oh, and yesterday Schuey was The Stig as Ferrari would only let him or Badoer drive the new FXX.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: folder[/cite]The "Stig" is apparently several (and some well known) drivers - although Perry would not say if schumy was in fact one of them he did categorically confirm that Damian Hill has never been the Stig.

Maybe the answer would have been different if you'd asked if DamON Hill has ever been the stig?!
  • Options
    Everybody knows the Stig is really Ann Widdecombe
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Everybody knows the Stig is really Ann Widdecombe

i think she is the stig fat cousin.
  • Options
    Posted By: JTIf you believe it was him the whole time, quite frankly, you're an idiot.

wind your neck in geez -
    Lol.

I've got a few friends that work in F1 so I've always known that F1 Test drivers have been involved. Luca Badoer was one name that was mentioned a few years ago.
  • Options
    "Im the Stig.."

"No, Im the Stig..."

The_Stig_Top_Gear_Eight.jpg
  • Options
    Would The real stig please stand up, please stand up...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Mystery of the Stig solved

Click here
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]who cares?[/quote]

Agree Kap, it's a joke that has gone to far. The mystery was good for 1 series but now it's gone on so long that I don't really care who it is now

Even if we did know who it was it's very likely we will of never of heard of them. A formula 1 racer would not keep it quiet for that amount of time or have time so it will be a rally racer
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]It's also been a chap called Ben Collins at some point

*takes a bow*
  • Options
    Underwhelming news...."shrugs" Never heard of him
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]who cares?
  • Options
    All we know is.... he's called The Stig.
  • Options
    This has all to do with product sales, Top gear is sold to many countries, and the product spin offs as shown on brekfast TV this morning is huge and finances a large proportion of bbc programmes.

Obviously the bbc wants to protect is 'brand', but it also has to abide by the right of the individual that is employed. Sound to me like an 'unresonable contract'.

Haing worked at the bbc they get you to sign an exclusivity contract which means any work that I did during my 8 years is the copyright of the bbc. Wether I did this at home, on my own time and equipment.

I have to get permission to use the photographs that I took, in my time, on my camera to use on my website!.

A colleague designed some stamps for a foreign postal service with photographs she had taken on holiday, and could not receive the fee, which she claimed she would have donated to Children In need.

Obviously there is a commercial interest here, but Collins has got a best seller for Christmas, and I suspect that he was bored in carrying on anyway.

If the players at Charlton wanted to write a autobiography, providing it was not libellous what really is the issue!

Frankly the bbc in it's 'control feitish' could have sorted this out a lot better than it has done!, they have a valid point but are using it out of context.
  • Options
    Maybe the BBC need to handle the next Stig differently - give him a contract for a number of years and say at the end of that he can "come out" and write his book, published by the BBC. If his identity is revealed in the meantime, immediate dismissal and no book deal. Sound fair?
  • Options
    I think the most important question is......what colour will the next Stig be?

Chances are they will 'kill him off' as they did with the 'Black Stig' after his identity was revealed.

I'm seeing a red suit this time. Surprised no bookmaker is taking bets on it what with all the crazy betting markets available, lol.
  • Options
    Maybe the BBC need to handle the next Stig differently - give him a contract for a number of years and say at the end of that he can "come out" and write his book, published by the BBC. If his identity is revealed in the meantime, immediate dismissal and no book deal. Sound fair?

Certainly sounds resonable.......
    '
    In all the 'excitement' I understand that his contract came to an end at the end of the series. Like all presenters or broadcast journalists which he may be or 'talent' who do have seperate arrangements, I understand that he wanted to leave the show, at the end of the series. Let's admit it the last series of DG's at the BBC have rushed out memoirs, the previous one Dyke has some of my photos in it!. (Mine as I took them.) When Grade left sky had a clip of him with me photographing him!.(shown every few minutes) I think that Collins along with the other 3 presenter and Willman the series editor/producer created a brand!. A bit like you write a play it is made into a series, then a tv series and so on.

Essentially it is the presenters wanting to cash in on there fame. People do not have a go at Hammond and co, and his deal with the supermarket chain and making enough money to buy a castle from the proceeds!. And although they have a life outside tv, the news presenters make a nice living in appearance, and after dinner speaking. I appreciate how does the stig speak at an after dinner, or open a supermarket without speaking but really news presenters were suppossed to be 'without character' a bit like a clothes model, it is the clothes that are suppossed to be important not the model..... but as we know they become megga stars, for becoming 'walking cloth's horses' as judge once famously claimed.

The bbc may well own the brand, but they are big enough to protect there rights believe me.

As I said ' Frankly the bbc in it's 'control feitish' could have sorted this out a lot better than it has done!, they have a valid point but are using it out of context.

Which is a view lot's of creatives have, that I met!