Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official Andy Murray thread

Over the next couple of weeks, will Andy Murray, Charlton follower and British tennis great win Wimbledon?; OR will Andy Murray, dour Scottish scruf fail to win Wimbledon?

He's in Nadal's half, so, assuming the Spaniard's fit, he may struggle to reach the final.

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Over the next couple of weeks, will Andy Murray, Charlton follower and British tennis great win Wimbledon?; OR will Andy Murray, dour Scottish scruf fail to win Wimbledon?

He's in Nadal's half, so, assuming the Spaniard's fit, he may struggle to reach the final.

Nadal's knee is the 64,000 dollar question.

How bad is it really or is there some kidology going on?
  • Hope he loses 1st round
  • What's the Murray/CAFC link?

how comes he follows us?
  • he doesnt. one of his team does and also his coach is a wolves fan i think an he came to a game with him. Think it was wolves.
  • [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]What's the Murray/CAFC link?

how comes he follows us?

His dad is the Chairman
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Over the next couple of weeks, will Andy Murray, Charlton follower and British tennis great win Wimbledon?; OR will Andy Murray, dour Scottish scruf fail to win Wimbledon?

My daughters have confirmed "He's fit"
  • He is leading a consortium - 23rd June is when he gets knocked out of Wimbledon (hopefully)
  • Please let me know who his is playing per round so i can cheer them on.

Nadal has pulled out which means Murray is nailed on to make the final :-) (Alternatively, he will go out in the 1st round).
  • Tennis
    it goes there, it comes back
    it goes there, it doesn't come back
    it starts again
    over and over
    it goes there, it doesn't come back
    they sit down
    and the football season seems along long way away
  • Sponsored links:

• do you know what normally want him to lose no matter what.

but read his interview in the Sport magazine given out on fridays and to be fair to him he seems to have grown up a fair bit and it also seems the paraguay shirt thing was all bollox. we've not had a winner of this bloodyy tournament for god knows how many years so part of me wants him to win it for that reason. I couldn't give 2 fooks if he smiles or not Tim Henman did a lot of smiling and he won fook all in terms of majors.

I actually want the fella to do well and good luck to him. . .. with nadal out he won't meet federer until the final.

shit can;t believe i just said that EDIT EDIT EDIT LOL
  • edited June 2009
    Henman's problem was that Pete Sampras was around during his prime, and the British weather conspired to ruin his best chance to win Wimbledon in 2001. Each time he had Ivanisevic ready to go down in the semifinals, the weather intervened. Ivanisevic beat Rafter in a fantastic final, so there is no guarantee that Henman would have won. But somehow, you got the idea that had he reached that final, it would have been his destiny to lift the trophy.

Murray's game is better suited the hard courts at the US Open and Australian Open than the grass at Wimbledon. But with thicker/slower grass and dearth of serve & volleyers, whose game is suited to the grass? Roddick, because of his serve. Federer because of his overall ability, and ... ???

Murray could do it, and with Nadal out, he stands a better chance of getting to the final. He also has had Federer's number, outside of last year's US Open.

A lot of "British" tennis fans like Murray because he is legit, and "British." He also seems to have grown up some, since being a grumpy and awkward teenager.
    He was a legit threat before Nadal bowed out. Now expectations will be raised even higher.

Federer is playing for history. Murray is playing against history -- a British player with a real chance and high expectations.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they met in the finals. It wouldn't shock me if neither got there.
  • is he just a better version of Henman or can Murray win (Nadal being out will help although increase pressure)

Agreed there is a better chance of him winning the US Open.

At least Murray seems more mature and grown up.
  • edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Super_horns[/cite]is he just a better version of Henman or can Murray win (Nadal being out will help although increase pressure)

Agreed there is a better chance of him winning the US Open.

At least Murray seems more mature and grown up.

Henman was a very good player; not a great player. He was probably the second or third best volleyer of his era, behind Sampras and close with Rafter. Sampras did everything better.

Murray is more of a physical talent, and may be stronger mentally. He seems to have the single-mindedness needed today. And he is not a good loser -- no Gentleman Andrew here, even though he has grown up.

Murray is a real member of the Top 4 -- with Nadal, Federer and Djokovic -- a group that it would be no surprise if they won a Grand Slam. Murray is the only one that hasn't done it, yet.

Henman was a real sportsman and fan favorite. Murray has his detractors, and with his former prickly public personna, he won't be the popular champion that Henman would have been. But he has a better chance to actually be that champion.
  • I agree Henman wasn't actually a bad player and well ofcourse people are going to have varied views of the personality and manners of the two.

Murray just needs to control the temper if in trouble and not get uptight as it does come across badly but like you say he has more potential to win.
  • Dont agree that the Paraguay shirt, and the support anyone England play comment was a mistake of a young man, as a Hibs fans, I reckon he meant it as I reckon most of their support would, I know how their support thinks on anything English. One of his fitness coaches is an Addick, there was an article about him in a programme last season, and Murray has been to a home game with him, but he is a Hibs fan.

What has happened is that the PR people have had a word with him and told him to smile more an retract everything he said, it's all PR puff to me and I will never forgive him or back him, he can stick it where the sun dont shine.
  • edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Dont agree that the Paraguay shirt, and the support anyone England play comment was a mistake of a young man, as a Hibs fans, I reckon he meant it as I reckon most of their support would, I know how their support thinks on anything English. One of his fitness coaches is an Addick, there was an article about him in a programme last season, and Murray has been to a home game with him, but he is a Hibs fan.

What has happened is that the PR people have had a word with him and told him to smile more an retract everything he said, it's all PR puff to me and I will never forgive him or back him, he can stick it where the sun dont shine.

Did you never make a mistake as a teenager ? Must have been a boring life.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/2008/06/23/wimbledon-more-mature-andy-murray-ready-to-shine-115875-20618073/

Quotes from the man himself ""I am not anti-English and I never was...I am Scottish. I am also British.". Seems fair enough. There's always going to be a rivalry in terms of football between England and Scotland, but in tennis we compete as one nation - so lets get behind him !!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Dont agree that the Paraguay shirt, and the support anyone England play comment was a mistake of a young man, as a Hibs fans, I reckon he meant it as I reckon most of their support would, I know how their support thinks on anything English. One of his fitness coaches is an Addick, there was an article about him in a programme last season, and Murray has been to a home game with him, but he is a Hibs fan.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/2008/06/23/wimbledon-more-mature-andy-murray-ready-to-shine-115875-20618073/

Quotes from the man himself ""I am not anti-English and I never was...I am Scottish. I am also British.". Seems fair enough. There's always going to be a rivalry in terms of football between England and Scotland, but in tennis we compete as one nation - so lets get behind him !!!!!

I certainly did, and still do now in my 40's, and I have led far from a boring life as you can get, but my whole point is that I dont believe it was a mistake, its just that his PR team having been working overtime on it, hence the quote you posted.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]

I certainly did, and still do now in my 40's, and I have led far from a boring life as you can get, but my whole point is that I dont believe it was a mistake, its just that his PR team having been working overtime on it, hence the quote you posted.

I really don't think he has a problem with the English - it doesn't sound like it does it ....

"my girlfriend (Kim) is English, my gran Shirley - who I love to bits - is English and half her family are English. They are from Newcastle...My fitness trainer's English, my physio's English, some of my friends are English. I don't have a problem with English people at all....I have a flat in London, I supported Tim Henman all through his career, I love watching Ricky Hatton and Amir Khan, two English boxers, I practise in England with English players...I could have played football for England though I probably wouldn't have got in the team!"

Maybe he just has a sense of humour and he knew wearing a Paraguy shirt when they were playing England would make all the St Georges day drum bangers wet themselves with rage, it seems to have worked.
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]

I really don't think he has a problem with the English - it doesn't sound like it does it ....

"my girlfriend (Kim) is English, my gran Shirley - who I love to bits - is English and half her family are English. They are from Newcastle...My fitness trainer's English, my physio's English, some of my friends are English. I don't have a problem with English people at all....I have a flat in London, I supported Tim Henman all through his career, I love watching Ricky Hatton and Amir Khan, two English boxers, I practise in England with English players...I could have played football for England though I probably wouldn't have got in the team!"

Maybe he just has a sense of humour and he knew wearing a Paraguy shirt when they were playing England would make all the St Georges day drum bangers wet themselves with rage, it seems to have worked.

You have your opinion on it, so do I, and I believe all the quotes are PR led.
    A wind up is a wind up, would you go to the effort of buying a Brighton shirt to wind the Palace fans up, I certainly wouldn't.
    As an Englishman, and a Brit, I quite happily back Scotland, Wales & NI in any tournament, as long as its not to the detriment of England. If an English sporting hero decided to wear the shirt of an opposing team playing any of the home nations and then make the same quote of supporting whomever they are playing, there would uproar in those nations, and I believe too many English people have taken this lying down, and shame on them IMO. For me, Murray can go whistle.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2009
    I would do anything to wind up a Palace fan !

Fair play, it probably doesn't bother me as much because all my family are Scottish and I know that alot of people from Scotland, Wales and NI will like to see England loose in football, that doesn't mean they hate England, it's just a sporting rivalry thing. For instance I always want Palace to loose, no matter who they are playing, even though they are a London team. It's a football rivalry and it doesn't mean I hate everyone from Croydon !
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]I would do anything to wind up a Palace fan !

Fair play, it probably doesn't bother me as much because all my family are Scottish and I know that alot of people from Scotland, Wales and NI will like to see England loose in football, that doesn't mean they hate England, it's just a sporting rivalry thing. For instance I always want Palace to loose, no matter who they are playing, even though they are a London team. It's a football rivalry and it doesn't mean I hate everyone from Croydon !

I understand that, I visit Scotland a lot to watch Rangers and have lots of Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish pals, but Murray cannot slate my nations football team and then expect my support in his own efforts, and after all, if he were to win Wimbledon, its purely his personal glory, as its an individual sport, but when he represents the Davis cup team I back him.
  • Gotta say DA9 you are spot on. He is an anti English git, and his PR team have fluffed over it to get him support at WImbledon. He won't from me. He is a git.
  • Anyone but murray for me.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Gotta say DA9 you are spot on. He is an anti English git, and his PR team have fluffed over it to get him support at WImbledon. He won't from me. He is a git.[/quote]

I know he is a person in public so needs to watch was is said but its only like us English guys joking and sayign we don't want Scotland to win (maybe?)
  • I hope he gets knockdd out first round can't stand the arrogant scottish twat
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Dont agree that the Paraguay shirt, and the support anyone England play comment was a mistake of a young man, as a Hibs fans, I reckon he meant it as I reckon most of their support would, I know how their support thinks on anything English. One of his fitness coaches is an Addick, there was an article about him in a programme last season, and Murray has been to a home game with him, but he is a Hibs fan.

Just a question DA9 but do you hold the same opinion of our Henry Irving?! Because he seems to want to support anyone who's playing against England in Rugby. It might be tongue in cheek but then so could Murray's comments have been?
  • [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]

Just a question DA9 but do you hold the same opinion of our Henry Irving?! Because he seems to want to support anyone who's playing against England in Rugby. It might be tongue in cheek but then so could Murray's comments have been?

I have no problem with general sporting rivalry and banter, but he took the time and effort to aquire a Paraguay shirt and to make those comments in the media, and as a follower of a Scottish club as well, I know very well the general (not all) attitude of Hibs fans towards anything remotely English, or even British.
  • "pro StGeorges day drum beaters" so its ok to be a proud scot, wear the green on St Pats day, but its seen as wrong to be a "drum beater" re St Georges day ?

When does anti english fun become racism then ?

Murray isnt anti english but his latest bullshit is just trying to repair what he said and did a few years back.

IMO all the anti english and that includes all the anti english english should f**k off to another country ----------still im only having a bit of fun.
  • Don't like the bloke but he is British.

Therefore, reluctantly, I'll be hoping he wins.