Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Superflous words.......

edited June 2009 in Not Sports Related
Why do we need the word galley when kitchen does just fine? Stow & stowage?? Surely store & storage would do?

Oakster (having spent too much time on planes recently)

Comments

• Options
    Planes and boats have one set on language, dry land another.
  • Options
    isnt galley kitchen a long narrow kitchen? excuse my ignorance
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Planes and boats have one set on language, dry land another.

I noticed that when the stewardess offered me a bottle of rum & a selection of hard tacks during onboard service...
  • Options
    Superflous is another! Why cant we just use unnecessary ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Planes and boats have one set on language, dry land another.

I noticed that when the stewardess offered me a bottle of rum & a selection of hard tacks during onboard service...

Shame there was no rum, sodomy and the lash but it's your fault for using cheap airlines ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]Superflousis another! Why cant we just useunnecessary ?

Do you really need that why in there Dan?
  • Options
    Do you really need that why in there Dan?
  • Options
    need why in there Dan ?
  • Options
    ?
  • Options
    Need

Unneed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Arse and arsehole.
  • Options
    I disagree. Superfluous is a perfectly good word. It doesn't strictly mean 'unnecessary' either - I would suggest (without looking it up) that the definition os 'superfluous' is 'Serving no purpose' - as opposed to 'unnecessary' which is simply 'that which is not needed'.

Agree with you though if you actually mean 'superflous' because, well, that isn't even a word.

:o)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Superfloss is readily available at most large branches of Walmarts in The United States.
  • Options
    Millwall & C*nts is another example
  • Options
    "Redaction." What's that all about? Everyone's been using it in the last twenty-four hours as if they have used it all their lives. What was wrong with "blacked-out?"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]Superflousis another! Why cant we just useunnecessary ?

There it is. Well said that man.